300 RUM Re-Loadings

Chilly Willy

Just starting out with my 300 RUM after a terrible year for moose. I have now tossed the 300 RUM into a HS Precision stock and plan on reloading the 200 grain Nosler Accu Bond exclusively for Moose. My barrel is the stock 26" S/S as is my action (700 BDL). Any suggestions for loads for max accuracy between 100 - 300 yards?

Thus far,...I have only worked up to 87gr H1000 with the 200gr smk set at the rifling and acheived 3050fps (30" tube) and .25moa at 100yds

I got to 88gr of RL25 and got 3250fps with the same bullet seated the same and the same .25moa at 100yds.

That being said,..I have not seen pressure signs YET,..and will be working more with it once the farm is not used for hunting any more for the year. Standard reloading disclaimer apllies.
wink.gif

90gr Retumbo and the 200gr Accubond in my rifle is most accurate. COAL was 3.66" to fit in max, and that has some... .180" jump to the lands I think? This was the first load I tried and it shot so many smokin groups I never went up for more MV, just left it there, got my drops and verified the load and went hunting. FWIW, the same load in the 30-338 Lapua Imp was shooting just the same way, very accurate and I'm impressed with the bullets accuracy, also performance. We took two moose this year with the 300 Ultras using it. Both were close range shots, one at 200, one at 100 yds and put the bullet to the test. Bullet exited at 100 yards, bullet stopped under hide with a perfect mushroom at 200 yards retaining about 135gr as I remember. And that was after busting through one shoulder and two ribs.
smile.gif

Others have had good luck at up to about 94gr Retumbo with the bullet, I just never had time to go higher, and didn't need to, as I was still getting over 3000 fps at 90gr and was grouping so tight I didn't want to F&^# with it.
grin.gif

grin.gif
Thanks guys!

Sounds like the "Retumbo and the 200gr Accubond " really cook together. Seeing how as this gun will be used strickly for Moose, the accuracy inside 300 yards is my main concern followed by knock him on his *** energy with some blazing volocity. Would you suggest going up as far as 92 or is that asking for a crap kicking and some gun damage? Has anyone moly coated a accu bond?

I'm not sure what the safe load is in mine, with that OAL, so I'd just suggest working up slowly watching for your max as you go. Others have had good luck with accuracy athigher MV's than I've tried in mine yet, so I'm hopefull I'll find the same too, when I get a chance to test 'em up there. I've got two more boxes of the 200's setting here waiting for just that.

Let us know how they do.

shocked.gif
Did a little searching in the Hodgdon web site, the MAX load they state for the retembo is 86 grain. If someone is loading 94 grains of pepper into that case, they are likely gonna some real issues soon I bet. Think I'll stick to the MAX load listed and even at that work slowly with carefull eyes
wink.gif
But the Accu Bond is gonna be stuck in the end of my brass wearing a nice coating of moly.

Guys, I'm shooting 95.5 gr of Retumbo behind a 200 gr Accubond. I have gone up to 96.0 gr with no signs of pressure. I'm getting 3199 fps in a 25.5" K&P barrel from this load and it is shooting around 1/2 MOA. I'll let you know if I find a bolt sticking out of my forehead...
grin.gif

Here's some data I collected on the Oehler M43 with the 26" bbl 300 Ultra and the 200gr Accubond seated to the lands 3.835" OAL:

86gr 2961 fps 56,500 psi
88gr 3011 fps 59,500 psi
90gr 3082 fps 62,400 psi

At 3.660" OAL:

90gr 3012 fps
90gr 3030 fps
90gr 3019 fps

I didn't check psi here, so draw the conclusion. I'd say it went down to 60k.

I'm not concerned I'm over max load, as it apears I am, BUT there are absolutely no pressure signs in this 90gr load I'm using in MY GUN.
wink.gif
Pressure data supports it. YOURS MAY BE DIFFERENT, start low and work up to be safe.

This was the only load I didn't run into high pressure signs when testing a few powders, RL22, 4831, and RL25 were right at 70k psi when I fired my last loads of each, and pressure was starting to show on 4831 more than the others, RL22, then RL25 were about what I had figured on seeing. I could have went a bit more with Retumbo, but I didn't have any loaded up hotter so...

Enjoy, hope they shoot good in yours too.
smile.gif

I use the 200g Accubond out of my Rem 700 LSS .300 RUM. I worked up a load for my rifle using H-1000. My final load I stuck with was 92g of H-1000, Rem Case, Fed Mag, 3.6" OAL. This is not the MAX for the rifle, just where the accuracy is. Groups are 1/2" at 100 yards, and the day before my elk season, I shot a 1.5" 3 shot group (off a rest) at 525 yards. I later killed my bull elk, a nice 5x6 on the last day of the hunt at 512 yards.

although its not the load i use, i tried h1000 behind some 200gr accubonds and that shot very nicely. current load is 90.0 of retumbo with a 220smk, but i'm sure it will perform fine with the 200 as well. dont think you need to really tweak out every drop of velocity you can; one- it shortens brass life, and two- with the 300rum, you should have more than enough energy to do the job. i cant see playing around with hot loads just to get a 200gr at 3150fps to maybe 3200. normal loads have plenty of energy to do what you need.

-brian

Brian,
I'm curious, I hit 67-68k psi at 87gr Retumbo using the 220gr SMK (best groups), about MAX with this brass, although I think I had it seated on the lands too, and it may have taken a couple more grains had I backed away to mag length, but I wonder what MV are you getting? 26" tube too?

Rem '06,
Also out of curiosity, what length do you contact the lands with the 220gr Accubond?
I'm right at 3.83"

brent-

"although I think I had it seated on the lands too, and it may have taken a couple more grains had I backed away to mag length"
not sure what my OAL length is, i never measured. initially i just threw a round in the chamber and closed the bolt so the lans seated it, then back it off just a tad. i'm just off the lans now, but not by much.

"but I wonder what MV are you getting? 26" tube too?"
90grs gives me 3050fps and pressure signs seem fine. last batch i got 8-9 loads before i started to notice primer pockets loosening. yes, 26" tube, stock remmy sendero.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.