300 Rum and Berger 215 Hybrid velocity?

Ckleeves

Hey everyone just had a quick question on loading the 300 rum with 215 hybrids. What kind of velocity are you guys getting? I just started loading these and I'm getting fantastic accuracy out of them but once I got past 2970 it started to lose a bit of accuracy. I'm loading 89 grains of H-1000 currently. I'll take accuracy over speed but it seems a bit slow? Or is that about right?

Should I keep stepping it up and see if comes back in tighter? I was in kind of a hurry trying to get things dialed in for my wife's elk hunt so I just called it good because the accuracy was so good but now that I have time I would like to get it perfected. Thanks for the help.

Most of the time I run about 3200 with an 208 Amax or in that area. Some barrels are faster than others and depending on what your throat dimensions are will depend what you can push. Wouldn't hurt to try warming it up to see if you find another accuracy node may or may not be there. I would think there's a faster node though

92gr h1000
Seated-.010
CCI250 primers
Norman brass
26" barrel
3068fps
.226 3 shot group

About max load no pressure but be careful work up

Hey everyone just had a quick question on loading the 300 rum with 215 hybrids. What kind of velocity are you guys getting? I just started loading these and I'm getting fantastic accuracy out of them but once I got past 2970 it started to lose a bit of accuracy. I'm loading 89 grains of H-1000 currently. I'll take accuracy over speed but it seems a bit slow? Or is that about right?

Should I keep stepping it up and see if comes back in tighter? I was in kind of a hurry trying to get things dialed in for my wife's elk hunt so I just called it good because the accuracy was so good but now that I have time I would like to get it perfected. Thanks for the help.
Ckleeves,
Its going to depend what the rifle tells you on the target. See if you can work your load up in smaller increments checking for pressure signs and the accuracy of the load. It can be tedious but it can give big dividends. If you cant get to the next accuracy node without pressure signs then take what the rifle gives you(likes) and adapt to that. No two rifles are the same.

Thanks for the advice. What increments would you step up in? I did 1/2 grain up to 91 with no pressure signs whatsoever. Is 1/2 to much?

Thanks for the advice. What increments would you step up in? I did 1/2 grain up to 91 with no pressure signs whatsoever. Is 1/2 to much?
Ckleeves,
If at 91 grains you are 2 grains or less from MAXIMUM . reduce to one or 2 tenths increments. All the while you will be checking for pressure signs and your accuracy on the target.

I have had a couple of them shooting the 215 berger.
My first on a stock sendero I was getting 3150 fps with retumbo.
My new one is a HS precision 300 rum that one only shoots a little over 3000 fps.
Anymore and the accuracy started going away so I just left it at that.

I have had a couple of them shooting the 215 berger.
My first on a stock sendero I was getting 3150 fps with retumbo.
My new one is a HS precision 300 rum that one only shoots a little over 3000 fps.
Anymore and the accuracy started going away so I just left it at that.

Good to know. This is a H-S rifle also.

Have you tried Retumbo? It works well in the 300RUM with 208+ grain bullets.

No sir I haven't. I tried Retumbo early on with this rifle with some other bullets (mostly accubond 200's) I still have about a half lb. I can try it for sure. What's a good starting load with Retumbo and the 215?

On the Sendero I was at 94 grains of retumbo with the 215 at 3150 fps using remington brass and a f215 primer.

My HS I am at 92 grains of retumbo with a 215 berger using remington brass and a F215 primer.
I went it 93 grains still no pressure, but the group opened up so I went back to 92 and just left it there. I didn't put much work into load development. It shot basically a one hole group at 100 yards with the 92 grains so I figured I would just quit there.
All the loads are .030 off the lands.

In my experience, 94 gr. Of Retumbo was about max with the 215's.
Retumbo should yield higher velocity than H1000 in the RUM.

No sir I haven't. I tried Retumbo early on with this rifle with some other bullets (mostly accubond 200's) I still have about a half lb. I can try it for sure. What's a good starting load with Retumbo and the 215?

I would start at 89grains and work your way up in 1grain increments. 94 would likely be the top. All rifles are different though. My rifle starts showing pressure signs with 91grains of Retumbo with the 208Amax.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-300rum-mcr-70809/

I am using H1000. Sitting with 87.2 grains and a .040 jump I average 3030 fps. I am sitting about 1/2 moa if I do my part.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.