.300 or 6.5prc

Well it only took me about 10 rds or so to sight in 180g federal premiums with very average scope. I bought this ammo simply because in reading about the 300 I learned it tends to pattern better with 180s vs 150s. Not true?? This gun was simply an impulse buy. I do like it tho. Maybe just restocking, using 150s and a better long range scope will be the ticket
Not necessarily true regarding 180's vs 150's. The primary factors are the twist rate in your barrel, and your elevation. I've got a 10 twist 300 WM that consistently shoots 137 through 180 grain bullets sub moa or better out to 500+ yards. The 137's are running 3800 fps, the 180's about 3200 fps. Tried heavier bullets (over 200 grains) in this one and the twist rate on the barrel won't stabilize them with this twist rate and my elevation of 900 feet. A faster twist (in 30 cal, 1/9 or even 1/8) works great to stabilize the really heavy bullets. Check your twist rate, it will give you an idea of what bullet weight range is practical to run in this rifle. If you're shooting factory ammo and you settle in on 150's or 165's I'd try several different types to find what the rifle likes best. If you tried 6 or 10 different types, you'd likely find 1 or 2 that really stand out. That's been my experience, your muzzle may vary.

Stocks and triggers can be great aftermarket improvements to help make factory rifles more accurate.

I just set this Tikka up for my buddy. It is a 6.5PRC which I had never shot., super nice and this rifle made it very soft. It does have the factory radial brake. Shoots like a dream. His use will be deer size game and Elk out to 450yds or so but mostly 300 and in.

Biggest thing is this rifle is nice and light and all of the Tikkas I have shot have outstanding accuracy. This rifle has less than 20rds down the tube and you can see is already speeding up. These groups are also getting better in just a few rounds. If you aren't really wanting to keep the 300WM which is a great round you may want to look at one of these.

1697625518699.png

1697625605520.png

3rd shot on middle bottom was 2845. Slow for published speeds on boxes but I believe that is common.

I bought a Browning Hells Canyon LR 26" in 6.5 prc the recoil is not bad even without the breaks, it came with a radial, and I also bought a recoil hogg. but I also have a Tikka in 300WSM that really beat me up until I had a custom clamp on brake made for it . It is now a kitten. I was from Grizzly in Canada. it was just over $200 to my door.

I'm all for getting a new rifle typically and by no means am I trying to talk you out of it, but the 6.5prc basically duplicates the .270 you have. Especially 500 and in. The main differences being the .270 ammo is easier to find, cheaper, and more fit in the mag box. I was about to scratch the same itch with a 6.5prc since I don't have a .270 currently but the more I think about it I'm not sure. Your 300win covers everything you could ever need to put crosshairs on and the .270 is about the perfect deer cartridge. You might consider something new and different that you might shoot more. Maybe add a .223, 22creed (if you reload), 22-250, 243, or 6creed for something smaller if you don't already have one for predators/varmints and for punching paper/steel.

I'm all for getting a new rifle typically and by no means am I trying to talk you out of it, but the 6.5prc basically duplicates the .270 you have. Especially 500 and in. The main differences being the .270 ammo is easier to find, cheaper, and more fit in the mag box. I was about to scratch the same itch with a 6.5prc since I don't have a .270 currently but the more I think about it I'm not sure. Your 300win covers everything you could ever need to put crosshairs on and the .270 is about the perfect deer cartridge. You might consider something new and different that you might shoot more. Maybe add a .223, 22creed (if you reload), 22-250, 243, or 6creed for something smaller if you don't already have one for predators/varmints and for punching paper/steel.
Good points. And I have all those calibers already. Only thing I don't have is the creedmoor and prc. I may just go to the gun store next time and do some snooping. I'm not against keeping this 300. I just like hunting my guns. I just prefer something a little lighter anymore as I age.

Good points. And I have all those calibers already. Only thing I don't have is the creedmoor and prc. I may just go to the gun store next time and do some snooping. I'm not against keeping this 300. I just like hunting my guns. I just prefer something a little lighter anymore as I age.
Maybe look at a 257 weatherby or a 25-06 that will put a little spread in diameter from the 300 wm.

I just set this Tikka up for my buddy. It is a 6.5PRC which I had never shot., super nice and this rifle made it very soft. It does have the factory radial brake. Shoots like a dream. His use will be deer size game and Elk out to 450yds or so but mostly 300 and in.

Biggest thing is this rifle is nice and light and all of the Tikkas I have shot have outstanding accuracy. This rifle has less than 20rds down the tube and you can see is already speeding up. These groups are also getting better in just a few rounds. If you aren't really wanting to keep the 300WM which is a great round you may want to look at one of these.

View attachment 502784

View attachment 502785
3rd shot on middle bottom was 2845. Slow for published speeds on boxes but I believe that is common.
I like that set up. Is that a t3 lite to begin with?

Maybe look at a 257 weatherby or a 25-06 that will put a little spread in diameter from the 300 wm.
So can anyone give me a ball park what it would cost (I know lots of variables) to restock 300 with a lighter synthetic, then have barrel threaded, then add muzzle brake of some kind? I want it lighter but not at cost of having a heavy punch.

So can anyone give me a ball park what it would cost (I know lots of variables) to restock 300 with a lighter synthetic, then have barrel threaded, then add muzzle brake of some kind? I want it lighter but not at cost of having a heavy punch.
Proof research prefix can be about $900 for carbon fiber. Carbon fiber preferred barrels on a prefit are about the same. Stocks very but probably about $800 roughly

Proof research prefix can be about $900 for carbon fiber. Carbon fiber preferred barrels on a prefit are about the same. Stocks very but probably about $800 roughly
If doing the prefix you'll want an action wrench, a torque wrench and barrel vice

From the back and forth I've seen on this thread, it appears that you want a different rifle chambered in a different caliber than 300 WM. I advise you sell that rifle and buy one of the many carbon barreled and/or stocked rifles out on the gun racks nowadays. I missed if you reload…if not, go with one of the PRC calibers as they're better suited to accuracy with good ammo right out of the box.

Vergy,
Not sure if it is a light. I have attached pictures of the model etc as well as the scope info.

Lee I think he is talking lighter stock not carbon fiber barrel.

I would think you would be looking at minimum $450 if not closer to $650+ for a lighter stock and then you may be barrel heavy depending on what yours is. Many replacement stocks drop in that 3lb plus range if they are less than the $450 mark. $65+ for threading depending on smith. $100 plus depending on the brake you want. If you sell yours might make sense and buy a lighter setup whether it be Tikka, Bergara, Ruger or whatever..

I believe his is the T3X light. I want to say he got his on sale in that $1200 range. I see Scheels has them now at $1499 with a $100 gift card but it is hunting season.

Hope this helps.

1697641074193.png

1697641220420.png

1697641259245.png

Vergy,
Not sure if it is a light. I have attached pictures of the model etc as well as the scope info.

Lee I think he is talking lighter stock not carbon fiber barrel.

I would think you would be looking at minimum $450 if not closer to $650+ for a lighter stock and then you may be barrel heavy depending on what yours is. Many replacement stocks drop in that 3lb plus range if they are less than the $450 mark. $65+ for threading depending on smith. $100 plus depending on the brake you want. If you sell yours might make sense and buy a lighter setup whether it be Tikka, Bergara, Ruger or whatever..

I believe his is the T3X light. I want to say he got his on sale in that $1200 range. I see Scheels has them now at $1499 with a $100 gift card but it is hunting season.

Hope this helps.

View attachment 502862
View attachment 502867
View attachment 502868
Sweet setup!

Sorry I just went back and looked, I was thinking you had a Tikka not a bergara. I don't think prefits are available

Recent Posts