300 Norma experience,data & info needed

DJ Fergus

I'm almost half way into a 30 Cal mag build. The remaining items I need to purchase is a barrel & action with bolt. My plan started out dead set on 300 norma and I'm still pretty much still set on that. Build info is not what I'm necessarily what I'm looking for.

Here is where I need some experienced feedback. I want to run 225 elds. If I get it built and must shoot 215 Berger's I will do that but it's not what I really want. I'm guessing with a 26" barrel there should be a node around 3030 fps to 3050 fps and possibly out to 3060fps. I don't think I will get there with retumbo or h1000 & 225 elds. I don't want to run rl33 due to temp sensitivity. The only other powder that Im guessing would get me to 3050 with a good case fill & decent temp stability (close to 100%) is imr 8133. The alternative is run the 225s at a lower node which I'm guessing could be any where from 2900 to 2950 fps. I'm looking for a node with 225s with powder that's temp stable while giving me close to 100% case fill. My concern is that case fill may not be what I want if I must go with a lower node. Im thinking that if i can't get the 225s & imr8133 to a 3050 node in a 26" I could probably do it with 215s & 8133 & have good case fill. But like I said, I would rather run 225 elds instead of 215s, nothing against Berger or the 215.

I'm just thinking out loud here and looking for some one with 300 norma experience who could offer some info.

Thanks

I'm almost half way into a 30 Cal mag build. The remaining items I need to purchase is a barrel & action with bolt. My plan started out dead set on 300 norma and I'm still pretty much still set on that. Build info is not what I'm necessarily what I'm looking for.

Here is where I need some experienced feedback. I want to run 225 elds. If I get it built and must shoot 215 Berger's I will do that but it's not what I really want. I'm guessing with a 26" barrel there should be a node around 3030 fps to 3050 fps and possibly out to 3060fps. I don't think I will get there with retumbo or h1000 & 225 elds. I don't want to run rl33 due to temp sensitivity. The only other powder that Im guessing would get me to 3050 with a good case fill & decent temp stability (close to 100%) is imr 8133. The alternative is run the 225s at a lower node which I'm guessing could be any where from 2900 to 2950 fps. I'm looking for a node with 225s with powder that's temp stable while giving me close to 100% case fill. My concern is that case fill may not be what I want if I must go with a lower node. Im thinking that if i can't get the 225s & imr8133 to a 3050 node in a 26" I could probably do it with 215s & 8133 & have good case fill. But like I said, I would rather run 225 elds instead of 215s, nothing against Berger or the 215.

I'm just thinking out loud here and looking for some one with 300 norma experience who could offer some info.

Thanks
Pretty much everything you've said, I've dealt with in my 300 Prc S.I. which is very similar in performance. You are correct that 3050' with a 225 is borderline with a 26" barrel. N570 is what I usually run in mine and I can run it at 3050' but I have a 28"". Ive tried 8133 for the second reasons you gave. It does give good velocity, but no matter what a tried, it had a very high e s. (30-50 fps) Also, H1000 will not give the velocity you're after, as you stated.
I think your idea of running the 215 or going to a 28" barrel are your best options. I really want to try some N565 but haven't been able to snag any yet.

Ok, thanks. This is just the sort of info I'm looking for. Does the N570 seem to be fairly temp stable. Does nodes seem wide enough with it or finicky? I've got plenty of retumbo, h1000 & rl26 but I just don't think they will be ideal for that case size. They may work pretty good but not a perfect match, or so I think.

The N570 is pretty darn stable and I ran a ladder test with it that showed a wide node in the 3000'+ range mv.
I really think n565 might be a great option but you would likely have to order it on line and pay hazmat

I'm not at all familiar with the 300 Norma, however if the advertised H2O of 103 is correct I would think H1000 would get you there in a 26" tube with the 225s. I just tried 85 h1000 with the 225s in a 98.6 capacity case and ran 3080s out of a 24"+ barrel. Might try it and see how it likes it.
Jace

Guys have had luck with Retumbo, N570, rl33. There's a 300 norma group on Facebook that has a fair amount of load data as well as a thread on snipers hide. Norma 217 is also a good burn rate for it. The 230 smk has same bearing surface as a 215 Berger. My 300 norma that's close to completion will shoot those two bullets as the freebore is only 0.215" most are 250ish.

Guys have had luck with Retumbo, N570, rl33. There's a 300 norma group on Facebook that has a fair amount of load data as well as a thread on snipers hide. Norma 217 is also a good burn rate for it. The 230 smk has same bearing surface as a 215 Berger. My 300 norma that's close to completion will shoot those two bullets as the freebore is only 0.215" most are 250ish.
Would .250 freebore present problems with those bullets you mentioned as far as being to long for mag length or a problem reaching the lands & not having enough bullet seated in the neck? I'm wondering how much freebore would be optimal for 225elds?

Would .250 freebore present problems with those bullets you mentioned as far as being to long for mag length or a problem reaching the lands & not having enough bullet seated in the neck? I'm wondering how much freebore would be optimal for 225elds?
225 eld and 230 Bergers have similar bearing surface lengths, the 215 Berger and 230 smk have shorter. 250 freebore with the 300 norma .306 neck length is good for the heavy eldm and 230 Berger. You don't have to have a bullet diameter worth of bearing in the neck, plenty of rifles shoot fine without it. Ryan Pierce throats his 28 nosler so a 195 sits above the neck/shoulder junction, he builds some the most accurate rifles around, and that case eats throats for lunch.

225 eld and 230 Bergers have similar bearing surface lengths, the 215 Berger and 230 smk have shorter. 250 freebore with the 300 norma .306 neck length is good for the heavy eldm and 230 Berger. You don't have to have a bullet diameter worth of bearing in the neck, plenty of rifles shoot fine without it. Ryan Pierce throats his 28 nosler so a 195 sits above the neck/shoulder junction, he builds some the most accurate rifles around, and that case eats throats for lunch.
If I go with . 250 freebore to primarily run 225 elds, would that reduce my chances of getting accuracy with 215 Berger's? And would running 215s with .250 freebore pose shorter throat life issues?

Berger hybrids are insensitive to seating depth in a lot of rifles. However if you want to seat them 10 thou off, you'll have just .270" or so of bullet in the neck, not a big deal either, room to stuff more powder in!

Berger hybrids are insensitive to seating depth in a lot of rifles. However if you want to seat them 10 thou off, you'll have just .270" or so of bullet in the neck, not a big deal either, room to stuff more powder in!
More room for powder is what I was thinking myself.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.