300 Grain Bergers

The rifle is a custom 338 Lapua that Joe Starnes built me a couple years ago. It is on a SS Mark V action with a 27 1/2" Lilja 10 twist #8 Contour. In a McMillan A-5. It has a Near base I fitted to 43 MOA and a 8~32x56 Nightforce.

Jeff
Broz great shooting ! If I had a 1000 yard group like that I would go and kill some Elk :D

Thanks and good shooting.

BigBuck

Last edited:
I got to do some shooting as well but haven't taken any pics yet.
My gun is a
Surgeon Remedy 338 lapua with a 27inch barrel plus surefire muzzlebrake. Its topped with a S&B 5-25.
I was shooting 90 91 92gr loads of RL 25 with the 300 SMK's and 300 Bergers.

Accuracy was great with all loads with the 92gr being the most accurate. Velocities were ranging from 2760 to 2850.

At 282 yards a buddy of mine shot it with 2shots being almost in the same hole and the other one 1 inch left. All loads were well under 1moa.

The bullets were loaded to magazine length and will continue to be so I don't have to load one at a time.

I have a 338AM coming so I will play with the seating depth more with that rifle.
So far they look to be very promising and I will probably go ahead and order another 100.
Will try and post some pics.

The Surgeon rifle is shooting

I will be receiving 50 of these bullets shortly. We'll see how they do at 3000 fps!

Ha ha! You must have a chrony like mine...:D Be careful Tyler work up slow. I started getting a slight bit of hard bolt lift at 92.5 gr of H-1000. That is about 2850 MV. from my 27 1/2" barrel. I shot the same charge under 300 smk's with no problem in cooler weather. But the summer temps made a definate difference so I backed off to 91.5 gr.

Jeff

My gun is a
Surgeon Remedy 338 lapua with a 27inch barrel plus surefire muzzlebrake. Its topped with a S&B 5-25.
I was shooting 90 91 92gr loads of RL 25 with the 300 SMK's and 300 Bergers.

Accuracy was great with all loads with the 92gr being the most accurate. Velocities were ranging from 2760 to 2850.

Wolffman, what is the twist of the rifling for your barrel??

Its a krieger and a 1 in 9.3 It has shot very well I have around 60 rounds thru it.

My 338AM will have a lijia but I believe its 1 in 10

No problem. I will try and get around to posting some pics of the targets and rifle. I am lazy when it comes to posting pics :D

The rifle is a custom 338 Lapua that Joe Starnes built me a couple years ago. It is on a SS Mark V action with a 27 1/2" Lilja 10 twist #8 Contour. In a McMillan A-5. It has a Near base I fitted to 43 MOA and a 8~32x56 Nightforce.

Jeff

Broz,

Is that a standard Lapua or improved

Thanks

Vince

The following is a response from a member of SavageShooters in regarding loading the 300gr Berger for a Savage 110BA in 338 Lapua. Note this rifle has a 9:1 twist.

Donald,

For starters, the magazine was well thought out, it has plenty of room. By my measurements, I get the internal magazine dimension at 3.775". If I were to load the Berger 300's so they touch the lands, the OAL (meplat) would be ~3.727". This is approximate due to the variation present in any bullet's length measurement from base to meplat (between .002" and .007" or more, depending on the manufacturer and bullet type). This would allow me to load to the lands and still have close to .050" extra room in the magazine.

As it happens, I chose to jump the Bergers .030". This gives me close to .080" clearance in the mag.

Of course, I never measure OAL (meplat). OAL (ogive) is a much more repeatable number and will give you vastly more consistent seating depths. For my comparator tool (with a .338 insert), I get that OAL (ogive) to the lands would be 2.824". With my .030" jump (taking advantage of the "hybrid" nose profile), my seated OAL (ogive) is 2.794"

As aforementioned, my load workup is just beginning, I tried 90 grains of Retumbo, and just loaded up some 91 grain loads to see how they perform.

Darrell

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.