30 lbs venison bologna- PA style

Montana'eer

We made up about 30lbs of venison / pork bologna the other weekend. I've gone back to using Con Yeager mixes as they always turn out really great with minimal extra added. 15lbs mule deer, 10lbs pork grind, 2.5lbs brown sugar, 2 cups of ice cold water and Franks hot sauce at a 50/50 ratio.

rsc0rap.jpg

JCYj2rf.jpg

This turned out awesome. A little spicy, a little sweet and a wee tangy almost like a Lebanon PA bologna tang. Texture is spot on.

I've got about 30lbs of elk grind to get on. I may make a savory mushroom and garlic blended cased brat size sausage.

Looks awesome!! Do you smoke it?

Yes. Kinda.

I let them hang for a day prior to cooking. Then they go in the oven at 170-175 for two hours, then they spend 2-3 hours on the lowest temp in my smoker, then if they need finishing I place them in a large electric roasting pan with water heated to 170-180 until they get to an internal temp of 158 or so.

My wife likes 'a little smoke' so this is a good compromise. This method also avoids a crusty rind. Been doing it his way for 20+ years. Con Yeager is a PA company- ever used them?

My wife likes 'a little smoke' so this is a good compromise. This method also avoids a crusty rind. Been doing it his way for 20+ years. Con Yeager is a PA company- ever used them?

No, actually starting that stuff either this year or next. I have a bunch of deer in the freezer, but need to buy or make a smoker. Kind of gathering info at this point. Your method makes sense (and sound delicious!).

More than happy to offer my help. In my opinion the fun of hunting doesn't really start until you're in the kitchen making goodies with the harvest.

We make some good brats and hot Italian sausage links too.

YeV2IU4.jpg

Last edited:
I have the same packer, except no gold letters. My parents made kielbasa 70 years ago in PA. It was handed down to me. Now I make kielbasa and summer sausage from deer, moose, wild hog and smoke it. People can't get enough of it. I only give out as gifts to close friends. They always tell me to sell it. After the work involved harvesting the animal processing the meat, seasoning, and smoking - I would have to charge $100/lb and would still losse money.
Great that you are keeping the tradition up!!!
Thanks
Len

If you are ever in SE PA go to http://nauglesbutchering.com/
Naugles makes the BEST kielbasa, sausage, bolona and everything else. Take you game to him and he will make what ever you want. He also processes all your farm animals, cows, steers, pigs, ect. BEST that I have ever had next to my homemade. Tell him Len from GA sent you! You will really enjoy their products.

If you are ever in SE PA go to http://nauglesbutchering.com/
Naugles makes the BEST kielbasa, sausage, bolona and everything else. Take you game to him and he will make what ever you want. He also processes all your farm animals, cows, steers, pigs, ect. BEST that I have ever had next to my homemade. Tell him Len from GA sent you! You will really enjoy their products.
Thanks for the heads up, brother. Been using Smokers out of Ronks, PA. Best ring bologna I've ever had. Will keep Naugles in mind for the future. Will have to check the map, but guessing they are closer to me. Thanks again.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.