30 Cal Mag for Hunting

Pick one and kill whatever you want. I don't like the RUM, too much recoil and powder without much real world advantage. I don't particularly like belted mags, just haven't had great luck with brass life (could be my fault, probably is).

Which leads me to the 300WSM. Just a wonderful round. My next favorite 30 cal is the 30-06 though :) so take my advice for what it's worth.

Note: I love the WM with a 200+ bullet, but the WSM I'm in love with 180s. Especially the hard Berger style. Not such a fan of 200+ bullets in the WSM, but again that's probably just me.

Good ole 30.06 has put plenty of north American game meat in freezers.
If I could only have one rifle that would be it. A shorter barrel woods rifle in 30-06. In fact, I killed more animals when that was all I had than I have since adding a few more rifles (I'm not a collector, I keep maybe 3 rifles at a time: .223 varmint or similar, a 6.5 of some kind currently 6.5x284, and a 30 of some kind currently 30-06 AND WSM...breaking my own rules)

So RULES FIRST, this isn't a caliber debate, I know there are other options, I own some of them.

I just want to hear what everyone likes for a 30 cal magnum hunting rifle and why. . . 300 WM, PRC, WBY, RUM, NOS etc. .

I reload, so we are splitting hairs on costs. Im just curious on performance, velocity, bullets weights, COALs etc.

AND GO. . . .
Curious if you made a decision???

I know I'm late to the party but I'll toss out that I went with a 30 Nosler after I sold my first 300wm. I'm about to start testing the Nos out and see what it does. I have a great baseline from the WM. If this doesn't quite pan out the way I want it to I'll be back to the WM for a long range hunter. I love me some big 30s.

My 300RUM was just too much of a good thing and not really needed for 99% of the hunting that I'll ever do. I rebarreled in 30 Nosler and am very happy that I went that route on my magnum action.

I have had no problem with finding an accurate recipe with loads that mimic a soft 300WSM or a heavy 300 WBY. Almost like the best of both worlds. Currently, I shooting the 181gr Hammer @ 3,100 ft/sec with .5moa accuracy at 400yds.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts