30-06 Competition Loads

For your purpose, I'd move away from the 150 gr bullets and disregard velocity. 165 is a sweet spot for 30-06 (followed by 180 gr bullets). They are great for hunting, ringing steel or tight groups. We've been using the same load for a number of years in four different rifles, and it shoots anywhere from one hole to a little over 1 MOA through four different rifles:

165 gr Nosler AccuBond or Sierra Tipped Game King
57 grs IMR 4350
CCI BR2 primer
LaPua brass

This load runs on average ~2820 through several rifles and one shot kill at range on Elk, so no need for 3000 Fps, especially with modern optics with selectable turrets. I'm going to try RL 17 for the 165 bullets as I've had great results swapping that powder for IMR 4350 in a number of cartridges. Of course, if it ain't broke:)...

If using the 180 gr bullet try IMR 4831, or RL 19/22.
I can't really see the advantage of the 160s up to the 180s in the 30-06. Seems for my case pushing the lighter bullets faster is the way. If I do step up I'll probably start around the 190s. Definitely gonna try imr4831

How do you like the lapua brass

I can't really see the advantage of the 160s up to the 180s in the 30-06. Seems for my case pushing the lighter bullets faster is the way. If I do step up I'll probably start around the 190s. Definitely gonna try imr4831

How do you like the lapua brass
It is outstanding--spendy but nice, doesn't need much prep work. I've never used Nosler custom or ADG but heard good things about both and my loading buddy swears by "lowly" Winchester brass that he does extensive prep work on. The reason I suggest moving up to the 165-gr bullet is because of the shape and BC...in my experience it is much more accurate than the 150. For hunting I like the heavier bullets because I've had a number of core jacket separations using 150 gr pills. That was of course before bonded, interlocked and mono bullets. Remember--I shoot that same load in four different rifles, and it works in all of them. 1 Remington 700 mountain stainless, one Dury's custom, 1 Sauer 90 and one Sako 85.

I have some Lapua brass and like it but I also have some old R P 30-06 brass that is still as accurate as always.Same with Hornady brass,still very accurate but with R P,W W and Hornady you will have brass prep but with Lapua or Peterson and other premium brass not a lot to prep!Great right out of the box.
Also the primer pockets start to loosen after a few shot's in less than premium brass where the premium brass can reload many many times.I have 5 reloadings on 30-06 Lapua and primer pockets are still tight!That's the advantage of the Premium brass in my opinion

It is outstanding--spendy but nice, doesn't need much prep work. I've never used Nosler custom or ADG but heard good things about both and my loading buddy swears by "lowly" Winchester brass that he does extensive prep work on. The reason I suggest moving up to the 165-gr bullet is because of the shape and BC...in my experience it is much more accurate than the 150. For hunting I like the heavier bullets because I've had a number of core jacket separations using 150 gr pills. That was of course before bonded, interlocked and mono bullets. Remember--I shoot that same load in four different rifles, and it works in all of them. 1 Remington 700 mountain stainless, one Dury's custom, 1 Sauer 90 and one Sako 85.
Don't sleep on the Winchester brass 😂 I've had good luck with it. When I ran the numbers the 165s actually drifted more than the 150s and that's why I went 150, the range we shoot has some wicked and unpredictable winds. I would agree on the 165s for hunting, and that's what I intended to use
I have some Lapua brass and like it but I also have some old R P 30-06 brass that is still as accurate as always.Same with Hornady brass,still very accurate but with R P,W W and Hornady you will have brass prep but with Lapua or Peterson and other premium brass not a lot to prep!Great right out of the box.
Also the primer pockets start to loosen after a few shot's in less than premium brass where the premium brass can reload many many times.I have 5 reloadings on 30-06 Lapua and primer pockets are still tight!That's the advantage of the Premium brass in my opinion
I've been using RP 270 brass for my loads, a few that I separated and used for some tests are now on their 8th firing.

Any experience with Starline 30-06 brass? I've liked it for the 6.5 grendel

That and uniformity. your group sizes and speed variance should instantly improve when moving to premium brass like Lapua or Peterson. Mine did.

Unless you really hot rod it, I'd expect a person to get 10 reloads from Lapua or Peterson at minimum.

That and uniformity. your group sizes and speed variance should instantly improve when moving to premium brass like Lapua or Peterson. Mine did.

Unless you really hot rod it, I'd expect a person to get 10 reloads from Lapua or Peterson at minimum.
Id would definitely agree there. With the amount I get from cheap brass, I'd be disappointed otherwise