30-06 Competition Loads

Some 40 years ago I put together a 30-06 on a FN 98 action.
At the time I was out of 4350 and 4831, my go to powders.
I had some IMR4064 and loaded up some with 50 grains of 4064 pushing a 165 gr Sierra hp at around 2900 fps.
From the get-go it shot .75 to 1" groups with that load.
While it sounds like you have your new rifle shooting well, sometimes we are surprised by what a particular rifle likes.

I had good accuracy using 168gr SMK's, RL22 and Fed 210's. I've also had good accuracy using 168gr CC and ELDM's. I'd try some 168gr ELDM's using Big Game, Hunter, H4350 or RL 22.

Some 40 years ago I put together a 30-06 on a FN 98 action.
At the time I was out of 4350 and 4831, my go to powders.
I had some IMR4064 and loaded up some with 50 grains of 4064 pushing a 165 gr Sierra hp at around 2900 fps.
From the get-go it shot .75 to 1" groups with that load.
While it sounds like you have your new rifle shooting well, sometimes we are surprised by what a particular rifle likes.
I'm thinking it will shoot a lot better once I can buy some decent bullets like a Berger or SMK. I've thought about playing with IMR4831 and some 208 Bergers but haven't seen anything on that combo.

Try both Win Mag and the 9 1/2 is much hotter than the Fed 210.
Looks like my few 9 1/2s are corroded, given there was a out ten left laying in a box in the bottom drawer 😂. I'll definitely looking into trying the Winchester Magnum primers as I do have a decent few, from what I was told they were way too hot, I won't be over pressure will I?

My Brother and I are shooting bug holes with 168g LRAB with R#22 with cci 250s, very top end of the pressure curve, velocity is 2900 on a 26" barrel. We both want to try the Berger 168g VLD Hunting with this load.
I've tried rl22 with mid weight pills in a couple of 30-06 rifles, and while it hauled well, it never was as accurate as I4350 with a 215 under it. For some reason, in a decent rifle it'll put three in an inch or less at 200 with about any decent pill you toss on it. My current 30-06 was slated to get the 280/280ai treatment, but when I cleaned up a stock warp and the bad scope mounting, it started shooting well with 4350 and 165 Hornady Interlocks. I loathe tearing apart a shooter, so it's still in the safe as a 30-06 and the 280 barrel is still propped in the corner.

I have seen primers make a huge difference.If you got them,experiment with a few rounds.
Definitely will do.
I've tried rl22 with mid weight pills in a couple of 30-06 rifles, and while it hauled well, it never was as accurate as I4350 with a 215 under it. For some reason, in a decent rifle it'll put three in an inch or less at 200 with about any decent pill you toss on it. My current 30-06 was slated to get the 280/280ai treatment, but when I cleaned up a stock warp and the bad scope mounting, it started shooting well with 4350 and 165 Hornady Interlocks. I loathe tearing apart a shooter, so it's still in the safe as a 30-06 and the 280 barrel is still propped in the corner.
It seems that imr4350 is a powder that just shoots. We use it in a couple other cartridges and no matter what it shoots well. So far big game has been really good in everything as long as I don't do anything stupid. Thinking about trying to see if there is a node closer to 3100fps and maybe 58.5grs with it. I'll have to play around with it some more.

We are shooting at 500 and 600 with those Remington Long range models that were selling for $500ish a few years ago.. I will try and get some particulars, I know that the primer made the load walk the dog.

That '06 would be a switch barrel at my house, factory recoil lug on the 06 and a PTG .250 on the 280/280 AI.

Barrels will like what they like, not getting around it, and some are fickle red heads!

Last edited:
We are shooting at 500 and 600. I will try and get some particulars, I know that the primer made the load walk the dog.

That '06 would be a switch barrel at my house, factory recoil lug on the 06 and a PTG .250 on the 280/280 AI.

Barrels will like what they like, not getting around it, and some are fickle red heads!
I have a second 30-06 I was thinking of making a switch barrel with a 25-06ai. I have a feeling my father would commender that one from me 😂. The farthest I can shoot RN is 300. Definitely shows more than a 100 yard group will.

Consider Berger 133's if you do the AI. We are shooting the 115g berger vld hunting with great effect in X caliber 9 Twist barrels that shoot very tiny groups, 257 Weatherby with .020 freebore @3600 on a 25 & 26" barrels. Deer have yet to take a step out to 550, and with a muzzle break, we see the bullet impact the animal. 110g Accubonds are also smacking deer down hard at 3600, my two nephews want to shoot nothing else.

Consider Berger 133's if you do the AI. We are shooting the 115g berger vld hunting with great effect in X caliber 9 Twist barrels that shoot very tiny groups, 257 Weatherby with .020 freebore @3600 on a 25 & 26" barrels. Deer have yet to take a step out to 550, and with a muzzle break, we see the bullet impact the animal. 110g Accubonds are also smacking deer down hard at 3600, my two nephews want to shoot nothing else.
I was planning for a 1 in 7" for the 127 hammers. I do wanna try some Bergers in the 30-06.

We are shooting at 500 and 600 with those Remington Long range models that were selling for $500ish a few years ago.. I will try and get some particulars, I know that the primer made the load walk the dog.

yup... have 1 of those $600 lr's in 300rum... it shoots dang well... I'm partial to a 225 with 95gr rl33 under it in the lr 300rum...

I dont load too much for the 30-06, but I do load for dozens of other cartridges all the way around it. It seems to me that you've put a few roadblocks in your own way. I can appreciate needing to use the powder you have, so in keeping with that I would not be so stringent on getting top shelf velocity. Slower nodeas are often more accurate than faster nodes, in my experience.
Also, again, I don't load much for 30-06, and certainly not for competition, but the bullet you mentioned is not one that I really ever heard described as a winner in the accuracy world. I could be wrong, but I would consider a different bullet that is know for accuracy, amd eliminate that as the possible cause. If you want to sample a few before making a big investment, I know of a fee great members that might send you a few to try, if you ask.
Definately need to shoot the best brass you can afford. If Win and Rem are it, then I would definately put the work in on a really good prep and sort. Flash hole debur and uniforming, volume sort, anneal, precision trim for length, and consider using an expander mandrel if your interference fit is in excess of .002" .
If you need clarification on any of that, just reach out..