280AI and Superperformance

CCAguns

Anyone working with this combination? Hodgdon's Superperformance appears to be just faster than RL-19, which is just faster than IMR-4831. Both of the others work well in my 280AI with 160g pills. I've gotten excellent accuracy with Superperformance behind 180gr bullets in my 30-06.

No replies to this thread, but it was recommended that I contact Hodgdon. The gentleman at Hodgdon was most informative. He stated that Hodgdon Superperformance is designed for cartridges where it fills the case. It is not recommended for 280AI. Sure appreciated that info.

I tried the 280AI Superformance combo with 140's I did not want to comment because I did/ do not know how to explain the phenomenon I experienced. I fired a few shots and bailed out. I knew something was not right. It was very strange, with my face on the stock, during ignition it was as if I could hear the flame moving across the surface of the powder charge, it made a scraping/screeching sound like the springs in a lousy shotgun trigger. I don't remember the charge weight, but the case was not full. Maybe a grain or few over Hodgdons book max for 280 Rem.

Last edited:
Never tried Superformance . A friend uses it and has good luck and will give me some to try , I don't know what weight or what bullets he is using. My personal choice is R19. I have a old Rifles Inc. Strata and it came with the load data sheet ( 59 grs. R19 - Nosler 150 gr. Pt.) Now that I'm out of the noslers Iv'e switched to 150 gr. Swift Siroccos. When I look in my powder cabinet it looks like my wife's cosmetic cabinet, to many choices.

Well, I'll be avoiding Superperformance! Echoing that H4831SC has worked well for me in 280 AI, but I'm not shooting anything over 155gr. It's produced consistent sub MOA accuracy with every projectile I've tried so far, maybe 6 or 8 different bullets....

I'd love to try some RL23 but haven't been able to locate any in a year of looking. I kind of gave up when it occurred to me that if I got some I might actually like it and then I wouldn't be able to get anymore. So I just stocked up on what was already working!

Anyone working with this combination? Hodgdon's Superperformance appears to be just faster than RL-19, which is just faster than IMR-4831. Both of the others work well in my 280AI with 160g pills. I've gotten excellent accuracy with Superperformance behind 180gr bullets in my 30-06.
R-19 has worked well for me with the Barnes 145 LRX bullet at over 3100 FPS. I only have a little of this powder left and am waiting for it to become available again

Re23 is a great powder for the 280AI. So is H4831SC. I have no idea what would cause the experience you described. Wow.
The sound was like a cross between a rusty hinge and fingernails on a chalk board instead of the typical BANG you would expect. I concluded there was to much free volume in the case and I was hearing the flame front moving down the length of the powder charge like a fuse, and shooting 140 gn bullets with Superformance in a 280AI case was a bad idea. I stopped and disassembled the cartridges.

The sound was like a cross between a rusty hinge and fingernails on a chalk board instead of the typical BANG you would expect. I concluded there was to much free volume in the case and I was hearing the flame front moving down the length of the powder charge like a fuse, and shooting 140 gn bullets with Superformance in a 280AI case was a bad idea. I stopped and disassembled the cartridges.
Good idea! I'm sure you hear better than I, but I've never heard such a sound.

I'd done well with R19 & IMR4831 with the 160gr NABs in my 21" bbl 280AI so, based on the burn chart, I thought Superperformance would work well. Just a different kind of powder so apparently it doesn't. Got decent performance from H4831, but better with IMR. Probably due to my short barrel.

Superperformance has been excellent in my '06 with 180gr NBTs.

Good idea! I'm sure you hear better than I, but I've never heard such a sound.

I'd done well with R19 & IMR4831 with the 160gr NABs in my 21" bbl 280AI so, based on the burn chart, I thought Superperformance would work well. Just a different kind of powder so apparently it doesn't. Got decent performance from H4831, but better with IMR. Probably due to my short barrel.

Superperformance has been excellent in my '06 with 180gr NBTs.
Never tried Superperformance but many of the powders in that burn range (around 4350's) seem to be versatile. Part of me thinks it would be a good match for 140 grain class bullets in 280ai.

What performance difference did you see between IMR4831 and H4831? I'm getting ready to try out H4831SC with Nosler 160 Accubond in my Weatherby 24" Backcountry 280AI.