280 and 300 Sherman...

7mmShooter

Was just looking at the 280 and 30-06 AI cartridges and remembered the Sherman lines that Rich has up and running. First of all, Amazing work by Rich and everyone involved in these lines, you guys really have quite a combination here...! The 280 Sherman, that's pushing 7mm Rem Mag territory.... With cheaper brass and an extra round allowed in a BDL or internal mag setup (not sure on the dbm sets). Bravo guys, Excellent work!

Elkaholic (Rich), any data on the 300 Sherman? I'm looking at getting a T3 and seriously considering the 30-06 for a starting point as I have plenty of brass for it and the .270 win (got a 7mm Rem Mag as well). I considered the 270 Sherman as well as that's probably what I have the most brass for, but I'm pretty hooked on the 7mms, and there's some nice advancements in 30 cal as well.

Mountain Tactical is going to be bringing out a bottom metal that should allow 3.6" COAL, so that shouldn't be an issue. Just got to looking around and brainstorming ideas:D gun)

Was just looking at the 280 and 30-06 AI cartridges and remembered the Sherman lines that Rich has up and running. First of all, Amazing work by Rich and everyone involved in these lines, you guys really have quite a combination here...! The 280 Sherman, that's pushing 7mm Rem Mag territory.... With cheaper brass and an extra round allowed in a BDL or internal mag setup (not sure on the dbm sets). Bravo guys, Excellent work!

Elkaholic (Rich), any data on the 300 Sherman? I'm looking at getting a T3 and seriously considering the 30-06 for a starting point as I have plenty of brass for it and the .270 win (got a 7mm Rem Mag as well). I considered the 270 Sherman as well as that's probably what I have the most brass for, but I'm pretty hooked on the 7mms, and there's some nice advancements in 30 cal as well.

Mountain Tactical is going to be bringing out a bottom metal that should allow 3.6" COAL, so that shouldn't be an issue. Just got to looking around and brainstorming ideas:D gun)

I had a 300 Sherman built on a B-78 single shot that would reach near 3100' with the 185 Berger. This was with IMR4831 and RL17. It was very accurate and not at all finicky. (28" barrel) My hunting load was 63 IMR 4831 behind one of my home brewed 190 SXR's at about 3010'. It was wicked on game including a mule deer and a moose at over 700 yards. It would likely exceed 3000' with a 185 in a 24" barrel .....Rich

Thanks Mud, good to know! Got thinking about it, and I'm thinking a 783 would be a good donor for this! Just gotta figure out the LOP I'd need to clear the bolt as I'm a lefty and there are no plans in the pipeline for a left hand 783. Tried it with my SPS and was .5 maybe .75" too short of clearing it lol:D

I would like to hear more about this 300 Sherman.... Any leads on where to get info??
Maybe get a reamer and dies??
Thanks

Mario

For you guys who have a std. 'o6 and don't want to spend a bunch of $$$. This is a VERY easy conversion! All you need to do is run the Sherman reamer in the chamber and gain a couple hundred feet. No other mods necessary......Rich

View attachment 280 Sherman:180 vld.pdfThis is the 280 Sherman that I have for sale. I took it in on a trade for a 30 that my partner wanted. I put this new Stockeys Long Range varmint stock on it and this is how it shoots! Not much load development, but I guess it doesn't need much......Rich
280 sherman rifle.jpg

View attachment 280 Sherman:180 vld.pdf

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.