28 Nosler, Terrible barrel burner??

What I read Ackely said that he did not like overbore rounds. Also, he felt mag cartirges under 30 cal were not good either. He also felt that the 270 win. was an overbore round.

without his books in front of me, I have to speculate a bit. The 6x57mm case (a factory 6mm Remington) in his views was about it before going into overbore. The 6.5-06 and the 6.5-.284 are also overbore, but not by a great amount as compared to some others. The .270 Winchester case is similar to the 6.5-06, and the bore is not that much larger. So yes it would be overbore, but by a great deal. A lot of this can be taken care of by going with heavy bullets, but not with larger overbore conditions. The 57mm Mauser case has been chambered in everything from 6mm to 8mm, but has also been wildcatted in everything from .224 to .358 at one time or another. When one looks at loadings he sees that the 6.5/7mm seem to be the best (would also include the .27x57), and this kind of confirms what Ackley said all along. Yet we also know that the 6.5 and 7mmx57 improved round are not overbore, or barely into overbore. Myself, I think the 30x57 improved would be a far better round than the .308, and have about a 50% greater barrel life. So to end this the .270 Win would be in overbore, but also nothing like the Nosler.

gary

I getting ready to order my barrel for my 28 Nosler build and I have it narrowed down to the Shilen #4 or #5 in 26" plus the break. What do you guys think for a mountain pack gun for long range hunting? Or would you drop down to 25"?gun)

I getting ready to order my barrel for my 28 Nosler build and I have it narrowed down to the Shilen #4 or #5 in 26" plus the break. What do you guys think for a mountain pack gun for long range hunting? Or would you drop down to 25"?gun)
26" defo

IIWM #5 fluted.

I have lost my Ackley Books ,but he felt that overbore cartridges are not as effective. I was reading of the weaterby round 6.5-300wbty and they are claiming this the fastest factory cartridge. I always loved weatherby rifles with their wood stocks. When I was salesman at Weisser Sporting Goods in National City Ca,we had a customer who wanted to purchase some Weatherby's. These were the first of the american made. We just got the order in different calibers. I made a mistake and told the customer we had more in the back. These are synthetic stocked rifles ,not wood but he wanted to examining or cherry pick out the rifles in stock.

Just trying to learn here, what determines if a round is overbored or not. Some are more obvious to me others not so much. I just read the 270win being overbored which I would have never guessed

I have been reading a few of the threads on the 28 nosler and loads people are using. 87-90 grains of RL33 to get 3100-3200 fps out of a 175 ABLR.

My 7-300WM will do over 3100 with 72 grains RL25 with 180VLD. I Will do the same with 74 gr of H1000.

Which brings me to original post question, seems like that much more powder will be hard on the throat similar to the 7RUM but not quite that bad.

Ya we all know what a "barrel burner" is. if its a hunting rifle who cares????

My thinking is a cartridge that's over bore for a light-for-caliber bullet may not be over bore for a heavy-for-caliber bullet. A 28 Nosler doesn't make any sense to me for a 120 grain bullet. Might as well have a 7mm-08 or 284. But for the 195 Berger a 28 Nosler sounds about right.

With the 120 grain bullet the 28 Nosler might add 100-200 yds to effective range. The low BC flames that light bullet out pretty soon no matter how fast it's started. But for the 195 bullet it adds 400-500 yds, maybe more. Now you have a real long range weapon. Numbers just off the top of my head but I think in the ballpark.

Another way to look at it is you need enough case to reach 2800-3000 fps for a long high BC bullet. A case that does that isn't over bore. If you go to accurate shooter you'll see that ~3000 fps is ideal for many long high BC bullets in many calibers. Around there is often where they shoot best groups and that's enough velocity for 1000 yds plus.

I would imagine both would be hard on barrels...they are not meant to sit at the bench and shot til' you drop cartridges. Sight it in and hunt you should be good for years but their not Dailey shooters.as the old story goes "for every action there's a reaction".. Tone it down some and shoot a little more.

EXACTLY. Actually, most times the ideal node (best groups) will be below maximum load anyway... (whatever that is, because I ascribe to the Berger regimen so techinically there is no MAX load), the is however, max stupid.

You can make any caliber a barrel burner if you supercharge the load.... or should I say a lands eroder.

I think too many "hunters" get hung up on the barrel burner phobia. I will be more selective with my competition and high volume shooters in this regard but will tend to place priority on other factors for my hunting rigs. My go to hunting rifle for the last six seasons is a 6.5x284, King of the Barrel Burners. Sitting at 600+ rounds down the tube, more than a few dozen white tails, mule deer, antelope, and a whole host of various vermon taken out to 1200 yards, the rifle has held its zero, shoots 25-.5MOA past 1000 yards, and kicks like a 22-250. Put that bullet in the boiler room and the critter is dead. I have absolute, and total confidence in this rifle. I expect this barrel will give up the ghost within the next five years or so, but if it crapped out tomorrow, I would give it a Vikings Funeral and replace it with another barrel.

Typical performance of a 140 VLD removed from under the hide of the off shoulder of a big bodied, 300 pound Alberta mulie taken at 650 yards.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 413
For hunting only, 800-1000 rounds of barrel life is plenty and will last many seasons. Barrels are like tires, they're ment to be replaced.

Back in the day, the .22-250 was considered a barrel burner. Now it's the 2nd most recommended varmint cartridge lagging only slightly behind the .223. Yet I've gotten over 2000rnds out of a .22-250. And that was pushing 50gr NBT right at 3700fps. Times and opinions change!
I currently have a 28 Nosler being built by Pac-Nor. I went with a 9" twist and the barrel at 25" without the brake. I have no intentions of shooting 195 Bergers, but plan on shooting 160-175gr bullets for hunting purposes. Will I ever shoot 120gr bullets? HELL YEA!! Can you imagine a 120gr VMAX traveling at 3700fps and smacking a rockchuck/ground hog!! LOL
Will I shoot lots of 120gr bullets? No, maybe 15 a year. But even if it only lasts me 800rnds, That's alot of years deer/elk/antelope hunting considering the average big game hunting rifle sees less than 50rnds a year. And here in Nevada, where all tags are on a draw system, this rifle could last the rest of my life!

Back in the day, the .22-250 was considered a barrel burner. Now it's the 2nd most recommended varmint cartridge lagging only slightly behind the .223. Yet I've gotten over 2000rnds out of a .22-250. And that was pushing 50gr NBT right at 3700fps. Times and opinions change!
I currently have a 28 Nosler being built by Pac-Nor. I went with a 9" twist and the barrel at 25" without the brake. I have no intentions of shooting 195 Bergers, but plan on shooting 160-175gr bullets for hunting purposes. Will I ever shoot 120gr bullets? HELL YEA!! Can you imagine a 120gr VMAX traveling at 3700fps and smacking a rockchuck/ground hog!! LOL
Will I shoot lots of 120gr bullets? No, maybe 15 a year. But even if it only lasts me 800rnds, That's alot of years deer/elk/antelope hunting considering the average big game hunting rifle sees less than 50rnds a year. And here in Nevada, where all tags are on a draw system, this rifle could last the rest of my life!

This is pretty spot on in my opinion. I personally really like fast rifles. A hunting rifle that is considered a barrel burner and only good for 1000 rounds should last a guy at least 10 years of hunting. Even with an extraordinary amount of load development taking 200 shots.

As for me I think I am a pretty good shot, probably not as good as many. Rocket sled rifles make up for a lot of my mistakes.

Steve

This is pretty spot on in my opinion. I personally really like fast rifles. A hunting rifle that is considered a barrel burner and only good for 1000 rounds should last a guy at least 10 years of hunting. Even with an extraordinary amount of load development taking 200 shots.

As for me I think I am a pretty good shot, probably not as good as many. Rocket sled rifles make up for a lot of my mistakes. I have rifle it is a early Winchester Model 54 which is the father of the Model 70. This rifle has a factory stainless steel barrel. When the Winchester 270 ,came out they felt it would be to hot for the barrels at that time. I think they were using nickel steel barrels. Winchester coated the barrels with a blue coating to make appear blued, Winchester thought that no one would buy a white steel barrel rifle. I horse traded a Winchester Model 50 in 20 gauge for this rifle. The blue coating on the barrel was pealing off. I removed the coating by polishing the barrel and used Tru-oil to refinish the stock. The rifle had been drilled and tapped for a scope mount, as it was not from the factory. It had Weaver scope mounts, I removed them. I had a old Browning steel one piece scope mount and Leupold scope rings. The floor plate and steel butt plate need refinishing , I had them titanium coated from my part-time job. With all this effort the old rifle will put 5 rounds into one hole at 100 yards.:). Winchester also manufactured Model 70 with stainless steel barrels in 220 Swift with this coating as they though these rifle would burn out the barrel. The load at that time was 40 grain in the 220 swifts. The stock on the Winchester model 54 is very thin and it is no work of art. I can not find a replacement as the bolt pattern is different from pre-64 model 70 stocks. The barrel has a bugle or a goose egg where the front was and it is tap for a screw which holds the barrel to the stock. There is no free float , but I did remove some wood in front of the goose egg.gun):)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.