28 Nosler First Bear

Looks like the bullet lost a ton of weight at that range, it weighed right at 80.0 grains
I'd love to get me a more compact rifle for bear hunting maybe even grizzly since I hunt in island park Idaho but not sure what to get considering I am left handed I'd love a bigger rifle that Would potentially stop a grizzly
I am a lefty as well, I would save up the money and go custom, if Grizzly is what you want, may look into 338 caliber or 300 RUM, not sure how compact you would be able to get it though.

Yes the bear was quarting away and through the first shoulder and lodged into the hide on the opposite side, the bear didn't drop in its tracks and went about 20 more yards before falling.
I'm always amazed by the way animals can take lead and continue breathing, even racing away at full sprints when they should be dead! I've never had a bear drop in its tracks for me. Beautiful bear and very unique color. Congratulations on a successful hunt!

Congrats on the successful hunt!!! Also tthat is very impressive for the LRAB as I have seen a number of concerns they would come apart at at the higher vel from close range shots. To me that looks like perfect expansions and bullet performance especially considering impact vel was likely 3K fps.

I have learned that some of the Blackies are tough SOBs. I watched one 300- 350lbs? take a .375 H&H 260 AB loaded hot at no more than 50-75 yds. It was thru the shoulder and it still was limbing away a high speed. It took a second shot to put it down for good. Given many consider the 375 H&H ideal for even large browns.

IMO any round that can DRT an alerted bear when its not a CNS shot is impressive.

Congrats on the successful hunt!!! Also tthat is very impressive for the LRAB as I have seen a number of concerns they would come apart at at the higher vel from close range shots. To me that looks like perfect expansions and bullet performance especially considering impact vel was likely 3K fps.

I have learned that some of the Blackies are tough SOBs. I watched one 300- 350lbs? take a .375 H&H 260 AB loaded hot at no more than 50-75 yds. It was thru the shoulder and it still was limbing away a high speed. It took a second shot to put it down for good. Given many consider the 375 H&H ideal for even large browns.

IMO any round that can DRT an alerted bear when its not a CNS shot is impressive.

Yeah it's mind blowing to me how tough animals are especially bears, that is why I am considering getting me a bigger gun for close range Bush rifles, I was thinking 45-70 in lever action since I am a lefty and large rifles are hard to come by

Yeah it's mind blowing to me how tough animals are especially bears, that is why I am considering getting me a bigger gun for close range Bush rifles, I was thinking 45-70 in lever action since I am a lefty and large rifles are hard to come by
You thinking Winchester (or replica) '86 or Marlin 1895? I know those big heavy rounds straight hammer on both ends.

You thinking Winchester (or replica) '86 or Marlin 1895? I know those big heavy rounds straight hammer on both ends.
I am note sure I am considering the marlin 1895 in the guide gun for its portability and I also liked the Marlin model with longer barrel for a little more velocity, have you had any experience with any of them?

I am note sure I am considering the marlin 1895 in the guide gun for its portability and I also liked the Marlin model with longer barrel for a little more velocity, have you had any experience with any of them?
I love the Marlins. I currently own a '94 in 44 mag that has been modified - 16.5" barrel, shortened length of pull, trigger job, upgraded sights, slimmed down forend, etc.
The 1895 is a bit bigger, longer and heavier than the '94 and the Winchester '86 even bigger still. The reason I suggested the '86 is because it's a top eject rather than side like the Marlins. Being a lefty, I'm not sure if you'd eject the spent case into your face with the Marlin. Something you might consider...?
Another solid option, with a bit of work, is the Rossi '92 in 454 Casull with 16" barrel. This option is basically a scaled down version of Winchester's '86 and is also top eject.

I love the Marlins. I currently own a '94 in 44 mag that has been modified - 16.5" barrel, shortened length of pull, trigger job, upgraded sights, skimmed down forend, etc.
The 1895 is a bit bigger, longer and heavier than the '94 and the Winchester '86 even bigger still. The reason I suggested the '86 is becuase it's a top eject rather than side like the Marlins. Being a lefty, I'm not sure if you'd eject the spent case into your face with the Marlin. Something to consider.
Another solid option, with a bit of work, is the Rossi '92 in 454 Casull with 16" barrel. This option is basically a scaled down version of Winchester's '86 and is also top eject.
I'll have to look into those, Thanks for the help! I shoot right handed pump shotguns with no problem but then again the lever action will be putting brass out instead of shotguns shells

You want a real thumper grab a shooter grade 1987 Browning 71 and have it rebarreled for either a 458 or 50 alaskan. 22" barrel would make a great saddle/brush gun for up north.

You want a real thumper grab a shooter grade 1987 Browning 71 and have it rebarreled for either a 458 or 50 alaskan. 22" barrel would make a great saddle/brush gun for up north.
Had an original M71 in 348WCF that I sent down the river during hard times. I've regretted it ever since. Love the 71! Another excellent option, with top eject.

I plan to pick one up once I have some play money above the current builds I am doing. I will use the browning rep version. As BR accuracy is not needed will likely have a mcgowen barrel which are quite good in their own right and they know these big bores lever actions well. I am only dragging my feet on whether to choose 50 or 458. Got enough vel and COAL to drive either with enough SD to take anything out to 200-300 yd which given no optic is not a real issue. My guess from past exp is the 458 will be more accurate.

Still not sure why that seems to always be the case.... Why .458 chambered rifles tend to be more accurate then same in .50-.510????

It will mainly get used in the thick bottoms for hog and then a future planned brown brush hunt which I will take my 500 SW on. I am hoping I can get the hunt I want on Kodiak as I am not going to do another for many years I fear.

If I get a chance to use my 7mm on black bear I am not sure what bullet makes the most sense. Punching a hole straight thru does not always work well and the ones that frag if they do not DRT you tend to lack any good blood trail. Hence why I always felt the AB were the solid choice as they have a bit of both. I think maybe one of the heavier hunting monos RMB and Matrix are turning out. Big petals that will break off pulse a large tumbling core punching an exit hole.

I am not knocking anyone down on caliber selection for Brown, Grizzly or Black bears, I have never hunted them, but I would believe if you take out both lungs they could not run to far with no oxygen. I have an old High School friend who is a big time bowhunter, he lives in Alaska now and has completed a Super Slam and is currently working on his second one all with a bow and no backup on the dangerous game. He has arrowed a 1300lb Brown Bear from 30 yards, he was 10yards from it the evening before, but could not find his pins on the bear and backed out and waited until the following morning. His Bear did not travel far after he shot. My point being, it is more of a well placed shot than the size of caliber you are shooting. I have never hunted bear so I am speaking with no experience, but I would think even a 28 Nosler with a well place shot would be able to take down a big Brown.

What I find with black bears is they die very easily when shot through the shoulders with a fast opening, partially frangible bullet. Grizzlies aren't any different; if for no other reason than most grizzlies just aren't that big.

I've got two blacks with the 28 so far, both at 225 and both with 195 ELOs. They absolutely pound them. The LR is a great bullet, though my experience with them is in 30 cal.

How did you stop that bullet in that small of a bear ?? Are you sure it didn't pass through a tree first ? I' be never recovered one from any bear up to 500 lbs....

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.