28 nosler 195 berger RE33 testing

What do you think about rechambering a 7 RUM to 28 Nosler with about half it's useful barrel life gone?
Same everything, just a basic setback... or would there be too much barrel gone off the shank to trust it?

Rem 700 Sendero --- j-key model

Jokostel: Unfortunately I don't do setbacks, only fresh barrel blanks. Then I can dial in the barrel and chamber it the way its supposed to as opposed to the reamer following the hole that's been cut when the factory barrel wasn't perfectly indicated in to begin with. That and rechambering barrels with a lot of rounds through them is hard on reamers. No use dulling a 200+ dollar reamer for 225 bucks in labor, lol.

I have to agree...
Barrels only 400$... lol
Was just thinking If I could rechamber on the cheap side... as this barrel IS a shooter... well under 1/2moa @ 200m.
I would just like to preserve what she is for as long as possible.

Nothing a Bartlien or Brux wouldn't fix though....gun)

loaded 195,s in my Gunwerksd 28 Nosler today after settling on a load of retumbo.
MV was 3004.

Shot it out to 970 yards today for accuracy test, 18 MOA to get out there.

Group was very good, 3 shots in just over 1/4 MOA.

1300 yard shot was a 1 shot hit on a softball size rock.

so far I am loving it.

Barrel is a 25 inch 1.8.75 Twist

Very nice. That should be an elk slayer. I just finished one up a few days ago for a customer and hes letting me take it on my elk trip coming up. I took it out to 1025 yds to tune the g7 rangefinder and it shot a group 2.0" tall by 7.5" wide off the bipod. There was a solid 10mph wind so I was happy with it. The 28s Ive built the last few weeks have shot amazing as they are consistently holding under .3 moa vertical at 1025 yds which is the farthest Ive been able to test them. It has been pretty windy lately so the groups have been a little wide, naturally.

Ryan Pierce
Piercision Rifles
www.piercisionrifles.com

loaded 195,s in my Gunwerksd 28 Nosler today after settling on a load of retumbo.
MV was 3004.

Shot it out to 970 yards today for accuracy test, 18 MOA to get out there.

Group was very good, 3 shots in just over 1/4 MOA.

1300 yard shot was a 1 shot hit on a softball size rock.

so far I am loving it.

Barrel is a 25 inch 1.8.75 Twist

How hot of a load is that for your rifle?

Tagging in. This is an interesting new cartridge combo. Been salivating over it since it came out, and now the 195 Bergers just sweetened the pot. Thanks for sharing all the info, looks like I'm gonna sell some guns and gather up money for a build. gun)

Here are the initial load/pressure testing for my 28 Nosler. My 28 is not SAAMI either. It is throated to max my mag length at 3.610. I hit pressure with 88gr of RL33 and the 195 Bergers. Load work to follow. The 175ABLRs are flying well so far as well. I hit pressure at 91gr. of RL33 with them.
I'm shooting a 27" Benchmark 1in8 twist mounted on a Win 70.

Attachments

• 28target.png
    28target.png
    17.8 KB · Views: 677
  • 28targete.png
    28targete.png
    18 KB · Views: 715
  • 28targetf.png
    28targetf.png
    18.7 KB · Views: 622
  • 28targetg.png
    28targetg.png
    18.4 KB · Views: 717
Finally got to shoot my new 28 Nosler. With the 195s and Retumbo I got 3200 out of it. primer pockets measure fine, with a little bit of an ejector mark. I'll call this my upper limit, and likely back off a bit when I get to accuracy tuning.

My bbl is 27", Krieger 5R 8.5 twist. wyatt's extended box. standard reamer, but gunsmith uni-throated it out for the 195s.

The 28 Nosler and the 195 berger seem like they were made for one another.

-nosualc

Here are the initial load/pressure testing for my 28 Nosler. My 28 is not SAAMI either. It is throated to max my mag length at 3.610. I hit pressure with 88gr of RL33 and the 195 Bergers. Load work to follow. The 175ABLRs are flying well so far as well. I hit pressure at 91gr. of RL33 with them.
I'm shooting a 27" Benchmark 1in8 twist mounted on a Win 70.

This is a rookie question because I am a newbie to reloading. How are you calculating your COAL for 28 Nosler? Hornady looks like they do not modify and thread 28 Nos cartridges for their COAL gauge.

I want to work up some hand loads for my new LAW 28 Nos.

Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts