.277 caliber input

SamuelBerryhill308

Hello all I've been thinking about the .277 caliber cartridges lately and have been looking at ballistic charts and such and I've really been thinking of adding a 270 cartridge to my safe I have bullets and brass and dies on hand for 270 win which I do have but it's in a Remington 7400 semi auto that my grandpa left me and I have a good load for it but I would like to add a bolt action rifle in .277 caliber of some sort back to my safe.I use to have a 270 win and really liked it but life happens and I sold it and kept my 30 cals. So my question is what are the pros and cons of the .277 caliber and out of the .277 caliber cartridges would going to a magnum be worth it or would a Standard 270 win be good to stick with I know the 270 win has been a go to cartridge for a long time but to me is seemed like it needs a little more. Also a plus's the bullets is interested in shooting aren't hard to find if I don't have them already and I have powder on hand that I don't use for other cartridges. I know just from personal experience that 270 has been a good deer round for my grandpa and for me in the past long as you use the right bullet and good shot placement and 270 win doesn't recoil much so can be used for smaller shooters. Is a .277 caliber cartridge still a good choice still today or would I be better with a 6.5 prc? For me I just feel .264 caliber seems small but then again 243 win has been around along time shooting deer with no problem. I want a cartridge good for the range and good to 500 or 600 yards for up to elk size game but something that is also good in thick woods and up close.I have 30 cals and I love my 308s but I would like to have a verity and be able to use the supplies I have instead of them taking up space in the reloading cabinet. Any input on .277 caliber cartridges is welcome thanks and God bless

Just got done with a 27 Sherman mag build running the 150gr SBD2 on a 7 twist 27 " McGowan. Did a pressure test yesterday with a couple powders.

received_3071708683121630.jpeg

I'm building a 270AI right now. I was going with a different cartridge originally, but then realized that 270 aren't the same with long vld bullets and fast twist rates. I already had the bullets, brass, loaded ammo, and powder, so the 270AI seemed to be a good choice. Also, I like to tinker, so the wildcat/fire forming will be fun to learn.

A standard 270 Win wouldn't be bad if you can get a faster twist barrel.

The 6.8 western and 270 WSM seems to be pretty nasty in a factory option as well.

Best of luck
HW

I've said it on here many times before.....I've seen more boom flops on deer sized game with a 270win pushing a 130gr pill than all other cartridges combined that I have either used or witnessed. It's just a friggn lightning bolt out to 500yrds. With today's faster twist and heavier boolits, just extends that even further!

Like a dummy, I sold my 270 (don't ask me why). Wanting to get back in the game, thinking the 7PRC case is going to make a fine housing for a .277 bullet? A 27-7PRC, .27_7PRC, not sure how to say it? Just think it would be one bad *** dude with a 170gr pill? Just need the brass to be more readily available 🙏