270wsm vs 7 rem mag

As usual, this is pretty subjective and an apples to oranges comparison but folks with experience with both can say that it's not a bad comparison with two excellent performers. Given .007" difference in bullet diameter, I find this comparison way more valid than say, with .264" or .308" calibers. Even that is subjective and only my opinion. I find the Nosler load data anemic, though. :eek:

Without going into the usual details discussed, I did my own comparison a few years ago for the sake of determining whether to keep the 270 WSM rifle I had obtained vs continuing to hunt with my various 7mm Rem Mag rifles.
For me, the versatility of the 7mm completely overshadowed the 270, doing everything the smaller cartridge did, but even better.
That was my conclusion.

You're also comparing lawyer-safe book data... The 7mmRM is severely crippled in just about every loading manual, pushing favor to the newer cartridges. Real world numbers, the 7RM is a beast.
I've often wondered if the 30-06 is similarly crippled by the books (and in factory loads) since it might be shot in great grandpappy's 1903 Springfield.

Robby Denning did a very informative comparison on the two about 4 years ago. He made the switch from 7RM to 270wsm for several reasons. Alot had to do with his style of hunting trophy mule deer.

Flatter trajectory, less felt recoil without a muzzlebrake, and comparable energy out to his max hunting range.

https://www.rokslide.com/goodbye-7mm-rem-mag-hello-270-wsm/

He was getting 2825 fps with a 168 VLD for his 7RM. That's where he had accuracy, way below velocity he should be at. He had a rifle issue, not a cartridge issue? I've found that the long Bergers do not group very well at 100 yards for me but do great at long distances. It's very annoying but very consistent. Maybe he was fighting that?

Berger 168 VLD is what I shoot in my 24" Win 70, 1-9.25". Seating them at 0 jump, 63.4 gr H4138SC, book shows 2904 MV. Brass is once fired Federal. Can you share your info?
I won't share charge weight, but I can everything else... Nosler brass, Fed 215M, 7828 SSC, and a Berger 168 VLD.

What data do you use? Compared to Hodgdon data Nosler might as well be the old Speer manual. They seem to consistently be the highest out of the free data I've found.

I think we're agreeing. Mostly I use the compiled data from Loadbooks USA, which has most of the key bullet and powder player's data in there, as well as Hodgdons, Noslers, Barnes and other websites where they publish loads. Hands down, I find that Hodgden has consistently higher max loads. If not always, I find Nosler significantly lower.

I remember years ago when I first started handload for my 257Bob, the old rancher we hunted with, looked at my load data and then flopped out his old, page torn, Hodgdons manual he kept in his truck and said, "they're hot, but they could be hotter!"

I really think it depends on what you going to use it for. 7mm Remington Magnum will outperform the 270 WSM with heavier bullets. Typically that benefit comes in a heavier rifle. Most are grateful for some of that weight when it comes to recoil on the 7 Mag. It becomes more difficult when you compare the 270 WSM to the 7 mm WSM. In my case I was looking for a lightweight sheep rifle in the 7 pound area . When you look at a 150 grain bullet, you can find bullets with similar BC's for both cartridges. Although load development may prove something different, the manuals show them very close on velocity. With the 270 WSM beating out the 7 mm WSM by about 60 ft per second. In my build I chose the 270 WSM, partly because of that very small velocity increase but also because the 7mm WSM seems to be fading. I don't understand why because it's a good cartridge. I was just worried about getting cases long-term. Yes I can form 7 mm WSM brass from 270 and 300 WSM and actually have the hydro former but thought why to do that when the 270 WSM outperforms the other for the bullet weight and BC I was looking for without the extra work. Just some thoughts.

<SNIPPED STUFF> Both rifles using the AccuBond long range (ABLR) bullets with the fastest load data; which one has the better ballistics to 1000?<SNIPPED STUFF>

Well, curiosity got the best of me, so I had to run the numbers at JBM Calculations. Charts are below:
.270 WSM (150gr ABLR @ 3,187fps using 68gr MagPro powder w/G1 BC=0.591)
upload_2019-5-7_17-45-13.png

7mm Rem Mag (175gr ABLR @ 2,970fps using 62.5gr RL22 w/G1 BC=0.648)
upload_2019-5-7_17-44-50.png

At 1,000 yards, the 'drop' in inches is identical @ 255.9 inches (with a 100 yard 'zero')!

At 1,000 yards, the .270 WSM is still faster at 1,770 FPS vs. the 7mm RM running at 1,699FPS (but the .270's 217 FPS 'head start' is down to only 71 FPS.)

Both are still around 1,100 Ft/Lbs of energy at 1000 yards.

This was surprisingly close. I thought for sure the .284 bullet - with the higher BC - would overtake the .270 by 1000 yards, but not so.

Attachments

• 270gr 150.jpg
    270gr 150.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 99
  • 7mm RM 175gr.jpg
    7mm RM 175gr.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:
That's why I mentioned at 800 yards, the lighter bullet is often better. With those two chamberings, it almost comes down to Fords or Chevy's.

I dumped my 7mm RM for a 270wsm a few years ago. The 270wsm is usually hitting those velocities out of a shorter barrel with a short action. The 7mm RM really needs a 26" barrel. The 270wsm is lighter, faster and hits just as hard with less recoil. What's not to love? BCs are decent with the ABLR - i spent months doing research and don't regret switching to the 270wsm.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts