270WSM Handloads

MontanaJack

HELP! I'm struggling to find a tack driving load for the 270WSM. I'm thinking the 270 Win was just fine. I've tried numerous loads with numerous powders but can't get to sub minute accuracy with a 270 WSM custom rifle. The Leopold scope and mounts are not the issue. The old 270 Win treated me much better. I've been shooting and handloading for many years and can still shoot one hole groups with my precision rifles. This project has really soured me on the WSM concept, at least for the 270.

Like Earnhardts question line.

Brass wrapper doesn't usually have a massive factor in accuracy. I've had 3 270 wsm barrels to load for over the decade and while it's a little overbore it's not terrible to load for. Give some bullet specifics and we'll try and point you in the right path.

HELP! I'm struggling to find a tack driving load for the 270WSM. I'm thinking the 270 Win was just fine. I've tried numerous loads with numerous powders but can't get to sub minute accuracy with a 270 WSM custom rifle. The Leopold scope and mounts are not the issue. The old 270 Win treated me much better. I've been shooting and handloading for many years and can still shoot one hole groups with my precision rifles. This project has really soured me on the WSM concept, at least for the 270.
How do you know the scope and mounts are not an issue? Any time I struggle to get a gun to shoot, that's the first thing I check.
I learned that trying to get a Ruger tang safety .270 to shoot.

Like Earnhardts question line.

Brass wrapper doesn't usually have a massive factor in accuracy. I've had 3 270 wsm barrels to load for over the decade and while it's a little overbore it's not terrible to load for. Give some bullet specifics and we'll try and point you in the right path.
I just ordered a box of Berger 150 gr VLD BULLETS to try in the 270WSM. I'm not committed to any brand. I would like to stay in the 130 to 150 gr weight range. Thank you.

Jack we need more info to help you !. How custom is it ?, who made it ?,Barrel length?, powders used?,brass used?,primer?,bullets tried ?, how long have you owned it? How many reloads ?, have you talked to your rifles maker about the frustrations or problems ?, we're not mind readers ,better info out equals better info in , no offense,I own and reload for my factory 270 WSM .

How do you know the scope and mounts are not an issue? Any time I struggle to get a gun to shoot, that's the first thing I check.
I learned that trying to get a Ruger tang safety .270 to shoot.
The bases and rings are tight. The rifle shoots 1 1/2" groups, but I haven't achieved subminute accuracy despite trying numerous combinations of powders and various bullet weights. If the scope (Leupold) was damaged, I don't think it would group as well as it does.

Jack we need more info to help you !. How custom is it ?, who made it ?,Barrel length?, powders used?,brass used?,primer?,bullets tried ?, how long have you owned it? How many reloads ?, have you talked to your rifles maker about the frustrations or problems ?, we're not mind readers ,better info out equals better info in , no offense,I own and reload for my factory 270 WSM .
It is a Gunwerks. custom built on a Howa 1500 action. 24" barrel. Using CCI 250 magnum rifle primers. I have a wide variety of powders available. So far I've only tried Berger 140 gr bullets, seated about 0.010 off the lands, which has worked well on my 6mm, 6.5 mm, 7mm, and 30 caliber rifles. I just ordered a box of 150 gr Berger VLD bullets. I use IMR4831 in my dad's 270 Gibbs. But I'm seeking advice for the 270WSM.

122gr Hammer HHT over RL16 took 11 rounds of load development to get a 0.4" 3 shot group in my XBolt 270 WSM a few weeks back. Loaded in 1% powder increments until I got ejector mark and 0.001" head growth. Backed off 2% and fired 2 more shots. Done. 3373 fps average for those 3 shots.

Last edited:
With the pedigree your custom has it should be a tack driver. Mines a Savage md 14 American Classic mostly use w-w brass,or Norma ,but powder volumes vary. CCI250 is a great primer as Fed 215 ,even non mag primers work and Very well to . Some of my best loads are 1.5 from max ,but that varies also . Your Powder choice?.