270 wby is still the king !!

I agree, I think the .257/.270/7mm Wby Mag case would have been a good one for the .30 caliber as well. I don't mind the .300 Wby, as I use those cases to form for my .300 Ackley...Which is quite the beast. I, too, prefer the 7mm RemMag over the Wby Mag, because brass is cheaper, easier to find, no excessive freebore, and there's maybe a 50-75 fps real world difference between the 2. Which in my personal opinion, doesn't outweigh the excess expenses or the negatives that go along with it.

I also feel the .257 Wby Mag is a bit overbore, and would have been better had he chosen the 6.5mm over the .257. And yall know how big of a 1/4-bore fan I am... But I just think it was overkill for that small of a bore diameter.

Once again, these are all just personal opinions.

I agree there's so little difference between the 7mm Rem and 7mm Wby. The cost of a Mark V or a custom in the 7Wby is too excessive compared to a 7mmRem in a premium factory rifle.

I agree, I think the .257/.270/7mm Wby Mag case would have been a good one for the .30 caliber as well. I don't mind the .300 Wby, as I use those cases to form for my .300 Ackley...Which is quite the beast. I, too, prefer the 7mm RemMag over the Wby Mag, because brass is cheaper, easier to find, no excessive freebore, and there's maybe a 50-75 fps real world difference between the 2. Which in my personal opinion, doesn't outweigh the excess expenses or the negatives that go along with it.

I also feel the .257 Wby Mag is a bit overbore, and would have been better had he chosen the 6.5mm over the .257. And yall know how big of a 1/4-bore fan I am... But I just think it was overkill for that small of a bore diameter.

Once again, these are all just personal opinions.

it's not like we're going to shoot five thousand rounds thru the 7mm mag (either gun), but the Weatherby case is really a better design. Although the Remington is more efficient. I've almost did the necked up 7mm mag a couple times (.30 cal.). Rethinking, I'm now thinking this case necked up to .338 or even .358, might just be a serious killer.
gary

it's not like we're going to shoot five thousand rounds thru the 7mm mag (either gun), but the Weatherby case is really a better design. Although the Remington is more efficient. I've almost did the necked up 7mm mag a couple times (.30 cal.). Rethinking, I'm now thinking this case necked up to .338 or even .358, might just be a serious killer.
gary
I think "better design" is a matter of personal opinion. I do wish the Rem Mag had less case taper and a 40º shoulder... I have designed a few wildcats off of it, that would resemble a 7 Rem Mag AI, so-to-speak. I just haven't turned it into a reality yet. Maybe someday.

morning, to all of us weatherby lovers and owners, u r all right.
my favorite wbee is the 340. I have 1 in the accu-mark.
outstanding weapon and caliber. have 2 25's, 1 7mm, and my340.
touche TUM

I think "better design" is a matter of personal opinion. I do wish the Rem Mag had less case taper and a 40º shoulder... I have designed a few wildcats off of it, that would resemble a 7 Rem Mag AI, so-to-speak. I just haven't turned it into a reality yet. Maybe someday.

I'm done with 40 degree shoulders! They are one of the major causes of the doughnut; if not the major cause in themselves. As for the Weatherby case design, their shoulder factors out to be in the 45 degree area (some as low as 43 degrees and some as high as 47 degrees). Yet it's the neck length that puts them ahead of the game. My main issue with most Weatherby cases is that they are in an overbore condition (not all but most). Have never been a fan of the .378 case design, but loved the .375 case. Always thought the .224 and .240 were close to useless. Yet Roy had other case designs that never came to light, and they looked to be very nice.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.