270/7RUM. Finally Finished. đź‘Ť

This is going to be an awesome build! I have a smaller overbore version (27 Sherman Mag based on 300prc improved) that is quite fast. It will be awesome to see where you end up with your load once the barrel speeds up. I'm about to break in my third 27 Sherman mag barrel that is 26". Once it's broke in I'm planning on slinging some 128 grain McGuire copper roses at a stupid speed once I get my 165 matrix load finalized.

If you happen to have some rl33 you will get even more speed than 570. 20n29 will probably work with the capacity you have and if not the next faster burn N series would (can't remember the number).

Looks great! I had a 270 RUM for a while and it was a lot of fun. I had mine before the 170 Berger was release, so there weren't a lot of really good high BC options to pick from.

I found a happy compromise with a 140gr BT at about 3475 fps using US869. Accuracy hovered around .5 MOA, so it was good enough for me.

It might be worth trying Reloader 33 if you can find any.

Howdy all, over a year ago I got this Crazy idea of necking down a 7RUM to 270[277]
I heard all the Naa sayers comments WHY, Bla Bla, Nosler has 27Nosler.
Well I'm a Rum guy, so I did it. Had JGS make me a reamer with the 170 Elite Hunter EOL bullet set at 3,900.
Build parts are simple and inexpensive,
Basically what I have always done. I picked up a new Rem 700 SPS 7Rum a few years back, still new in the box so I used that action. Got the Wyatt CFE extended box kit MB3, HS Precision stock with Sendero contour channel, barrel is a Douglas 8twt.Sendero contour finished at 28", fluting by Bugholes [ Douglas doesn't do fluting]. Timney trigger The Hit 8oz/2lbs set at 12oz. Nice Trigger.
Painkiller Muzzle Brake, thanks Kirby. Chambering and machine work was done by Henry Brewer and myself, I did the extended box, bedding and assembly Henry did the chambering and the muzzle threading.
For load development I got Quick Loads for Xmas and a good friend helped me get started Thanks just-jon your the best.
I made up a couple 130gr Speers to get started braking the barrel in and went to the 170 Berger's. With the 170 I went right to N-570 started at 85grs got up to 91 with slight ejector marks at 3344fps, have a good node around 88 to 89 avg. 3250.
But I only have 25 rounds shoot. Still need more rounds shot to break in the barrel and the brass. Some pic's , nothing fancy but that's me.
Thanks for looking. David
That's one heck of a hot rod ya got going there, love to hear how she shoots and what you take for game with it.

Howdy a little update, haven't been able to shoot as much as I would like.
I have 39 rounds shot, been testing a couple different powders and bullets.
Still very early need more rounds.
Berger 170 EOL = N-570 slight ejector marks 92grs. 3477fps.
H-1000 = slight ejector marks 88grs. 3423

Tried a couple mono 133 Apex Afterburner and 139 A.H.
Both are in the area 3540 to 3570 no pressure signs.
Goal is to have the 170eol dialed in.
And a mono bullet.
Powders = N-570, N-565 &560, H-1000, Retumbo, Us-869, H-4350 and Rl-25&26&50 don't have 33.
She is shooting great, no target pic yet, and the power is AWESOME.
Thanks for looking. David

For budlight question the rifling is right hand twt. Harmonics, well so far everything is under moa and smaller.đź‘Ť

Last edited:
I was going to use the 338 because it's shorter. But necking down that far I'm not that good at it. I have H and Rl 50 I will have to try. Thanks
RL is better than H for me more velocity less bulk. Hornady generic neck dies were cheap back in the day and made necking up/down easy when playing with wildcats.