264 Winchester

My barrel is 27 3/4" from the breach face to the muzzle. It is all that could be gotten out of a 28" blank by the smith. It is on a Rem. 700 action. This rifle has a really tight chamber. Cases last a looooooooog time and running them through a FL sizer really only neck sizes them with a slight shoulder bump. I shoot 66.5 grs Retumbo, in Winchester cases that have been made from 7mm Rem mag cases just run through the 264 Win mag FL sizer, fired by CCI 250 primers shooting 130 Nosler Accubonds seated 20 thousands off the lands. I average 3350 fps and 3 shots at 100 yards land in a ragged hole well under 1/2". This rifle and load is used mainly as a bean field deer rifle. I can't remember how many deer I have killed with this rifle but we will say 25+ from 30 yards to right at 500 yards. All have been DRT and I have only recovered one bullet because all others were exits. This one bullet was shot into a good size buck at 111 yards that was facing me with just a slight left shoulder facing me angle. Bullet entered edge of left scapula smashing it and taking out the vitals and was found in the smashed ball socket of the right ham. Recovered bullet was a text book mushroom and weight was 87 grs. Deer fell on its butt and collapsed on its side dead as a hammer at the shot. It don't get much better than that.

He has spoken Len , shut the forum down because we are all on our own.
We ask for advice because there are often similar outcomes that may help fellow reloader developed a load without burning through 2/3rd of a barrel before we find something on our own.

If it is listed in a even only sightly current manual, the powder is capable of more accuracy than you are.QUOTE ]
INCORRECT. Every barrel I have ever owned wouldn't shoot half the powders listed worth a ****.

Thanks to you and others on here ,I have saved a lot of time and money on loads, because of ya'lls help. I miss long range ranger on here and hope he is ok, he gave me some great loads,that I have never seen in a book. That's why I love this site

Just to let you know,I will be picking a lot of your brains when I'm done on my next two guns. One will be a 6.5x68 RWS imp.

I would just like to thank all of the members that responded to my question. The reason for the question in today market if you can save money by getting other peoples opinions it worth the savings so now i can use the knowledge i have gain by listing to people who are shooting the same gun and get to work finding the load my gun likes.

Thanks again, Dirk gun)

Retumbo would be my first stop if I was starting a new 264. If that doesn't yield what you are looking for get yourself some WC 867 or WC 872. With 140's I'd start at 70.0g and work up. I ended up at 3320fps with the 140 Berger VLD in mine. Ymmv.

Dirk,
Whats the twist rate on the barrel ? For long barrels you may want to check a burn rate chart to get an idea of where the powders you are looking at fall. Long barrels USUALLY like a powder on the slower end of what may be listed for your bullet/powder/cartridge combination. Free horsepower and usually easier on the throat. Go to our website and under INFORMATION in the drop down click on TECH TALK and read Eric's articale on 'VLDs,making them shoot" to give you some instructions on bullet seating depth testing. If you have any questions please feel free to contact us here or at [email protected].

The only two powders I have used in my 264WM is H4831 and the old H570 which I have 3 lbs. of. 65grs of H4831 has the 130gr JLK VLD at 3145 fps. and 73gr of H570 has the 130gr JLK VLD at 3226 fps with no signs of pressure from my Shilen 30 inch barrel with 1 in 8 twist. Using the 160gr Woodleigh PPSN I went above max with the H570 and have reached 3261 fps but it is showing signs of pressure. Using book max 71gr H570 it is at 3095fps.

mine likes retumbo. I have 2 rifles chambered in 264 wm, and having a 3rd built right now. Im gonna try some r33 in the new rifle and hopefully gain a few fps over retumbo.

A buddy and my self had 2 mirror image 264WM built on Ruger m77 earlier this spring. He's a south paw. We have been doing some load development. Both are 26" 1 in 9 twist. I have a Boyds stock, his a bedded factory walnut.He has had his timney put in, I haven't had time yet. Both wear 5-20 SHV NF. All brass is Norma 264wm head stamp and all primers are fed 215 match. Pretty tight chambers, same reamer. For powders, we have used, so far, H1000 and Retumbo. My buddies rifle is 10-15fps faster than mine and these are my numbers. 69gr Retumbo gave me 3140ish w/ 140 VLD. 68gr H1000 gave me 3120ish w/ 140 vld. My powder may be a little slow so YMMV. I have had no pressure signs, and have no desire to push much faster. Going forward I will stick to around 69gr retumbo and 68gr h1000. I tried 140 VLD at first and will try 140 A-max next. I have 4831sc and several other powders to try as well. I'm working my way down the list of what I want to shoot. The 140 VLD with h1000 or Retumbo haven't showed much promise yet; around 2MOA for accuracy. I don't post much, but know how much info the 264wm varies. Feel free to pm me down the road to see what I end up with. I will reluctantly try 130gr pills after all LR 140gr have been tried. I'm also moving from slowest to faster powders I have on hand.

Thanks youngbuck
I am picking up my gun on Friday it too is a Ruger with a 26" barrel by Shilen I am going to start with Retumbo trying to find some n570 also 1to9 twist I will let you know how I make out I am starting out with nosler lr 129accubond them 130vld and last 140vld and maybe some 140a-max
stock on mine is a McMillian varmint for ruger had the barrel turn to ruger varmint contour its just a little smaller than Remington it also is bedded brass will be nosler

good luck

A buddy and my self had 2 mirror image 264WM built on Ruger m77 earlier this spring. He's a south paw. We have been doing some load development. Both are 26" 1 in 9 twist. I have a Boyds stock, his a bedded factory walnut.He has had his timney put in, I haven't had time yet. Both wear 5-20 SHV NF. All brass is Norma 264wm head stamp and all primers are fed 215 match. Pretty tight chambers, same reamer. For powders, we have used, so far, H1000 and Retumbo. My buddies rifle is 10-15fps faster than mine and these are my numbers. 69gr Retumbo gave me 3140ish w/ 140 VLD. 68gr H1000 gave me 3120ish w/ 140 vld. My powder may be a little slow so YMMV. I have had no pressure signs, and have no desire to push much faster. Going forward I will stick to around 69gr retumbo and 68gr h1000. I tried 140 VLD at first and will try 140 A-max next. I have 4831sc and several other powders to try as well. I'm working my way down the list of what I want to shoot. The 140 VLD with h1000 or Retumbo haven't showed much promise yet; around 2MOA for accuracy. I don't post much, but know how much info the 264wm varies. Feel free to pm me down the road to see what I end up with. I will reluctantly try 130gr pills after all LR 140gr have been tried. I'm also moving from slowest to faster powders I have on hand.

We burned up a little powder today. I learned that the 140 NAB have a lot more pressure than the 1040 VLD or AMAX, and Retumbo may be more temp sensitive than I thought. I had my 69gr Retumbo load blow a primer w/ a 140 NAB at 3300 fps. It was around 100 degrees today, so that didnt help, as all my retumbo loads were hotter than in the past. Aside from that, I shot a group just over 3" at 400yd w/ that load of Retumbo under an Amax, I'm going to back it down and try again. My buddy's gun shot a 3.5" group @ 400yd w/ 4831sc using 140 VLD. Ill see what I can get out of velocity from the 4831SC and try some Amax with it as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.