260 Rem Vs. 6.5-06

What is a better hunting caliber the 260 Rem or the 6.5-06?

• Total voters

pyroducksx3

Stuck between the two calibers and lookinf for some advice. Type of hunting rifle will be used for is primarily high country mulie hunts in eastern wa / sheep hunt, Second black bear hunting 50/50 in forest of western Wa (heavy) and open areas similiar to mule deer (eastern Wa.), Third varmint hunting (coyote)#4 occasional elk. Looking to be able to make long range shots out to 500+ when I become more capable. Concerns are #1 recoil (although hear both are light), #2 Barrel life (it's a hunting gun but will shoot more than average hunter between 150-200 shots per year maybe more, #3 long action/short action. Was leaning toward the 6.5-06 but is the long action, recoil, barrel life worth the extra 200+ fps for me? Was also notacing that the 260 can be formed from 243, 308 brass offered by everyone (hornady/lapua/winchester) compared to the 6.5-06 with 270 win, 30-06 from hornady, 30-06 from lapua, and 25-06, 270 win, 30-06 from winchester. Any help would be appreciated, especially from anybody with expierence with both. I guess concerns could be further reduced to is the 260 enough for what I want to do? I'm worried 260 falls short for hunting but is great for long range targets, while the 6.5-06 is more adequate for both.Thanks again for any help.

6.5-06 AI. Do everything you are looking for. Alittle over sized for yotes, a little undersized for elk, but will work for both.Since you say you are only going to shoot a couple hundred rounds a year, you won't burn that barrel out for quite awhile. In a factory rifle go with a 264 WM.

Been in a lot of stores and have not seen even ONE box of 6.5-06 ammo. However they all had 260 Rem ammo. Good luck on your quest, with the 260 your rifle will be a lot lighter and backpacker friendly.

I hunted with a 6.5-06 A.I. for years and killed close to 30 head of elk, lots of deer, a few bear and one moose. It is a fantastic rifle and with a good 140 gr. bullet is far more capable than most people realize. With a 26" barrel (which I consider minimun) It will drive a 140 around 3100 accurately. Barrel life is good although I have recently rebarreled mine with a 6.5 Sherman which drives a 140 at 3200. The .260 is a GREAT rifle, but for what you want to do, go with the bigger punch!.....Rich

To muddy the waters some more. The 260AI will push 140's upwards of 3000fps, also don't rule out a 6.5x55 either. I have the 260AI in a semi-custom rem 700 short action and a hunting partner shoots the 6.5x55 in a Tikka Varmint. In a modern action the 6.5x55 comes pretty close to the 260AI (we haven't really worked with it yet, but I'm sure we can still get more out of it, but alas the season is upon us)

Really either one will work for you, but if I was going with an odd-ball chambering, I would go with the AI version's. Factory and I would go with the 6.5x55.

It looks like I will be going with the 6.5-06 but there is alot of people recommending the 6.5-06 AI over the standard 6.5-06. I have read information that says that sometimes the AI is worth it sometimes not. Is this one of the calibers that is worth it? I have heard that case life is better with the AI, but any other reason to go with it? Any pro's and cons for either would help. Thank You

Found out that you can get 6.5-06 AI dies but their custom and expensive. almost three hundreed from lee and 150 from RCBS ( which is 6.5-06 improved) I think its the right one. Is all the cost of form fireing and super expensive dies worth it over a standard 6.5-06. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Regarding the 260 Rem versus elk, this is a good example of what precision shot placement will do for you.
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/defensive-edge-success-story-34795/

The 260 Rem will be easier on barrels. If I were to go with a short action, I would look at seriously at the 7mm WSM.

Long action vs. short action & weight. I would not fuss over a few oz's. This is an excellent example of a nicely designed long action rifle.
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/defensive-edge-sheep-hunter-280-ack-imp-30684/

If I were to go long action, I would go with a 280 or a 280AI over the 6.5-06.

I once had a Rem M700 KS Mtn Rifle in 280 Rem it did a great job with Nosler 140gr BT's. I worked up some loads with the Sierra 160gr SBT, they shot very well too, I never killed anything with that load.

My experience is only with the 6.5-06. My hunting partner has an improved version. I would not get the improved version. I don't think you gain enough in this chambering to make it worth while. jmo. I have thought about a 260AI for my self. I think it would be a great round, but I think I like the little extra punch that the '06 offers.

For what it's worth, I think the 6.5 cal is a fantastic killer, 130 to 140 grain bullets. I have seen two elk down with my son's 6.5-06 using 130g Scirrocos. One at 375yrds and this year at 310yrds. They work well.

Steve

im not a suscriber to the 1 size fits all mentality. id prefer several rifles.
but in your case id pick the one that would do the best job on the largest animal you will be shooting at.
recoil, barrel life, etc. should be of less concern.

If you are asking the question about a 6.5-06, I then I suggest you consider a 6.5x284. It is a proven performer and you can get Lapua/Norma cases for it, no fireforming ...

Last edited:
I voted for the 260.

IMHO the longer action, added powder, less efficient design, shorter barrel life, added recoil and so on doesnt seem to justify the small increase in performance. Heck if you go with a long action and burn more powder, dont joke around and go bigger. Dont jump to a LA for a small increase in performance. Longer rifle, heavier rifle, longer bolt through etc....These are OK if the gain is more than 100-200 FPS. The game wont know the difference. If youre really concerned about a bit more then use a 26" barrel and VV N500 series 'high energy' powder. You will make up that 100-200 FPS in a hurry.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.