26 Nosler or 6.5 Prc Hunting

6.5 PRC or 26 Nosler

• 6.5 prc

Votes: 142 62.6%
  • 26 nosler

Votes: 85 37.4%

• Total voters
Ok enough of the B.S most of these so called new rounds where developed years ago, they are just now being used by the gun companys to make you spend more money, I like the 6.5, I also like the 30 cal rds, nothing wrong with the 7mm, but go ahead beat the old 30/06, most of you have zero training at shooting long range you sure didn't go to sniper school the old one, no range finders no mil dot scopes you had to know how to shoot. And you sure better be able to range estimate really good, I really doubt 1% know how to read a topo map to estimate range. Look I like to shoot long range it's a hell of alot easier now than it was 40 years ago. But let's be responsible, tgts are one thing wounding a animal is another, and as I was taught you learn more in one year archery hunting than you will ten years hunting with a gun. Shoot what you want, practice practice practice but most of all have fun, I have never put down somebody's rifle I just try and make them shoot it better no matter what it is. There are no gimmicks to shooting long range, there is no one thing that is going to miraculously make you shoot 1/2 groups at 1000 yes, this is getting to the point we should all buy 155 mm howitzers have a fdc a forward observer and a 100 meter kill radius per round, dont know the cost but I cant afford it.

rugers,
Given the name of this site I'd bet well over half the hunters who post here have shot (in practice) at distances over 600 yards and maybe 10% have killed game over 400 yards.

I have practiced and competed to 1,095 yards at our club's steel range. Our MOA targets are tough to hit beyond 600 yards with our capricious winds here in southern Nevada.
Still I am very aware of my 6.5 PRCs energy at various distances using Hornady's 143 gr. ELD-X ammo when hunting. By long range competition standards I'd consider myself a "mid-range" hunter.

Eric B.

Last edited:
I didnt read the entire thread, but I'd pick the 26N hands down over the prc. With the 156s coming out and no concern over barrel life, you'd be better off with performance and money.

I get 2992 with a 140 Berger and RL26 out of my Creedmoor and about 2970 with the 143 ELDX. I just have not seen or read of any real advantage at this point with the PRC. Maybe that will change as heavier bullets become available??
How are you getting fast 6.5-284 numbers out of a creedmoor?

We just load developed a customers 6.5 PRC with rl26 and the 124g Hammer Hunter. It finished out at a bit over 3200 fps. This is about 50 fps faster than we get from 6.5-06. We will be loading a 6.5-284 Norma soon. I don't think it will be able to match the 6.5 PRC.

I have a 26nosler and 65284...
Lite loaded 26....140 acc & Berbers shot well at 3200fps...
142lrab not as accurate...at faster fps the brass maybe lasted two shots...
At 3200fps on third load without primer pockets expanded...

65284(which everyone is saying is holistically = to the 65prc) shooting at 2975- 3000fps....142lrabs shooting really good...
So far 6 loads per brass.....

I carry the 65284 in a 24" barrel and ultra Lite weight...maybe 7.5 loaded.....if you don't hold on it will kiss your hat brim...no need for a brake.....thin barrel cant be threaded for brake....

Carrying the nosler patriot..not sure on weight...has a little more kick than the 65284.....26" barrel....but like the fit...
Again..hold it or it will kiss your hat brim....

If it is gonna be a dedicated hunting rifle and shot and allowed ro cool between....you are gonna be fine for a long time if you aren't pushing the extreme speeds.....

Neither rifle will last me a lifetime....but they will last a long time with proper maintenance.....

Hunting rifle pick......26nosler....

We just load developed a customers 6.5 PRC with rl26 and the 124g Hammer Hunter. It finished out at a bit over 3200 fps. This is about 50 fps faster than we get from 6.5-06. We will be loading a 6.5-284 Norma soon. I don't think it will be able to match the 6.5 PRC.
Steve, I achieved over 3200 fps with the 124 gr in my 6.5-284 using H4831. I just get tighter groups around 3150 fps. I didn't even try RL26 because I use it for my 7 STW & 338 Lapua pet loads and I'm hoarding what I have left. If I can find another 8 lb jug, then I'll try in in the 6.5

Rl26 is getting me about 100 fps more speed on most cartridges. My 6.5 creed will do 2975 with good brass life in a 28 inch barrel. I use 147elds in my comp gun but I shoot h4350 @ 2850 because it flat out shoots. For hunting i use rl26 in several rifles and they all shoot 1/2 moa. Between the 26 nosler and the 6.5 prc I would go prc. It's almost exactly my 6.5 Saum which I love so the prc gets my nod.
Shep

I keep asking myself not to weigh in on this but I just ran out of popcorn.. so my hands are now free.
I, personally, would not take either. PRC does not thrill me, the 26 Nosler equally not thrilled about. for overall usefulness the 6.5-06 and the 264 Win Mag with heavy twist barrels (1:7" or 1:6.5") are far more useful and the ammo is easier to find. with the popularity of the 7 rem mag I can make 264 win out of them. with the abundance of 30-06 I can make 270 and 6.5-06 just about any time I like. besides the cartridges are super cheap to make in contrast to the PRC and the Nosler rounds. their brass is super expensive.
my 2 cents worth.

6.5PRC running the 143s at 3015 put three shots in a 4-5" circle on this goat at 603yds. Had to lay it across my tripod using the swaro bino adapters as a rest. I'll keep shooting it!
IMG_2637.jpg
IMG_2639.jpg

6.5PRC running the 143s at 3015 put three shots in a 4-5" circle on this goat at 603yds. Had to lay it across my tripod using the swaro bino adapters as a rest. I'll keep shooting it!
View attachment 154088 View attachment 154089
Congratulations on a very nice Billy!! You truly earn it on a mountain goat hunt. I got one last year on Kodiak Island. Toughest hunt I've ever done

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.