25wby advice

Berrnard

still looking for 257 head stamped brass but decided to play with some of my 7rm brass.
it is 1x fired and deprimed, not sized at all
i stepped down to 270wby then to 257. the untrimmed length i am getting is 2.530 or less, my longest so far is 2.533. one piece is 2.500. i thought annealing may help stretch the brass during sizing but i see no or minimal difference. i also tried unannealed brass first.
hornady book states max trim length is 2.539. is this safe or am i getting on the edge or past it on too short?
what say the gods of LRH reloading?

Last edited:
still looking for 257 head stamped brass but decided to play with some of my 7rm brass.
i stepped down to 270wby then to 257. the untrimmed length i am getting is 2.530 or less, my longest so far is 2.533. one piece is 2.500. i thought annealing may help stretch the brass during sizing but i see no or minimal difference. i also tried normal brass first.
hornady book states max trim length is 2.539. is this safe or am i getting on the edge or past it on too short?
Ain't no god but I've had zero issue with forming 7mm rem and .264 win brass to .257 bee. I do have properly head stamped stuff too, indeed the necks on the formed cases are notably shorter. If you're not trying to reach the lands and if you clean the rifle semi regularly it doesn't matter. Fire away!!!

i stepped down to 270wby then to 257. the untrimmed length i am getting is 2.530 or less, my longest so far is 2.533. one piece is 2.500. i thought annealing may help stretch the brass during sizing but i see no or minimal difference. i also tried normal brass first.
Gunbroker. Hope this gives you a Bang ❗😂

Attachments

• IMG_4167.png
    IMG_4167.png
    207.5 KB · Views: 58
Ideally the neck length should be at least one caliber and the case mouth should be just shy of chamber length. Repeated firings with "short" brass can damage the mouth of the chamber.

This gizmo will help you determine the chamber length.

i stepped down to 270wby then to 257. the untrimmed length i am getting is 2.530 or less, my longest so far is 2.533. one piece is 2.500. i thought annealing may help stretch the brass during sizing but i see no or minimal difference. i also tried unannealed brass first.
1711836291684.png

1711836382602.png

I would look for some cheap factory ammo on sale. Get some shoot and you have fireformed brass with the proper head stamp. JMO
Not disagreeing but will say "cheap factory ammo" and ".257 wby" dont usually go together.

Additionally, in a chambering with barrel life as short as this one I sure don't want to be shooting ammunition just for the brass.

Just my thoughts. No shortage of guys buying factory ammo for all kinds of cartridges now just because they can't find brass unfortunately.

so back to my original question, i already know where i can buy brass, i just dont want to right now

"i stepped down to 270wby then to 257. the untrimmed length i am getting is 2.530 or less, my longest so far is 2.533. one piece is 2.500. i thought annealing may help stretch the brass during sizing but i see no or minimal difference. i also tried unannealed brass first.
hornady book states max trim length is 2.539. is this safe or am i getting on the edge or past it on too short?"

so back to my original question, i already know where i can buy brass, i just dont want to right now

"i stepped down to 270wby then to 257. the untrimmed length i am getting is 2.530 or less, my longest so far is 2.533. one piece is 2.500. i thought annealing may help stretch the brass during sizing but i see no or minimal difference. i also tried unannealed brass first.
hornady book states max trim length is 2.539. is this safe or am i getting on the edge or past it on too short?"
It's fine, it will always be short. It won't stretch to the length of the 257 bee

I answered you earlier, it's fine!!!!