25 06 on deer

ann brezinski

my brother has hunted deer with his 25 06 for 30 years.it seams no matter what the bullet you loose abut 25 persent of a dee or more from blood shot meat. are any of you finding this to be true.the powder load is 52.0 grains of 4831 du pont and the 115 and 120 grain bullets.the 100 grain is enven worst in this reguard.

Try the Barnes x bullet I've been using the 25 for 37 years, killing at least one deer a season if not more, I had great luck with the Nosler partition, however I found the Barnes X bullet a even better choice, you can eat right up to the bullet hole, I shoot one deer with a Nosler ballistic tip but found as you have way to much blood shot meat,

my brother has hunted deer with his 25 06 for 30 years.it seams no matter what the bullet you loose abut 25 persent of a dee or more from blood shot meat. are any of you finding this to be true.the powder load is 52.0 grains of 4831 du pont and the 115 and 120 grain bullets.the 100 grain is enven worst in this reguard.
How long are the typical shots for your brother on deer? If under 200 yards then get velocity lower. Deer are easy to harvest with core and cup bullets. You say 100 gr bullets are worst that is because you have higher velocity (100 gr velocity of 3250 fps , 120 gr velocity at 2950 fps).

I shot a .25-06AI for about 12 years. Never lost any more meat that other rifles/bullets. 115 HVLD or 100 TTSX.

Put it behind the shoulder.
Yep, I don't eat lungs and there is not much meat on the ribs, so a non-issue .
If you have to do quartering shots alot where you hunt, a TTSX, hammer or Nos. Part. will serve you well!

I've only shot one deer with a borrowed 25-06... I had a rifle jamb up on me years ago and popped a big mule deer doe with my Pop's rifle. It took one hit and went down with about zero loss. shoot them in the slats or neck and you don't loose much, no matter what howitzer you use. I've been using the 300win, 7rum, and 7stw for years. All are more damaging than a 25-06 if you have anywhere near poor placement. That said, there are some pills out there that are better off in lesser 25's and the lead free or 115-120 grain options are probably your best bet on critters you want to eat.

my brother has hunted deer with his 25 06 for 30 years.it seams no matter what the bullet you loose abut 25 persent of a dee or more from blood shot meat.

I would have suspected that after 25-30 years of reporting the same results about blood shot meat, he might have taken the hint to change something.;)

I'm a meat hunter so losing 25% of a harvested deer would make me a little aggravated and start me looking for a solution.

Velocity and frangible bullets will often result in meat loss from being blood shot. Velocity can be controlled by switching to a slightly sturdier bullet which will resist the aspect of being frangible. You can also try another series of tests to reduce the velocity. Using the shoulder as a target when hunting will generally guarantee meat loss. Charging Buffalo, yes. Domestic deer, no way!

I can't stress this enough, properly constructed bullets in the right velocity range will solve his problem. I have used the Nosler Partition bullets in the .25-06 and the AI version for decades with great results. Currently though, I can suggest using one of the excellent Hammer bullets to solve his dilemma. Yes, you'll have to work out a new load but switching powders or other bullet styles require the same process.

Enjoy!

:)

A very simple cure for your problem.
Is the best for no meat loss!
If your 25-06 is like mine... Dead on accurate you'll love the results!
Shoot them in the head!!!🤠