.243 Win. vs 6mm Creed.

Small Caliber Shootout

• #1 choice - 243 Win.

Votes: 139 60.2%
  • #2 choice - 6mm Creed.

Votes: 99 42.9%

• Total voters
Bottom line for me, is I don't reload. Hornady developed the ammunition to work in the "new" caliber, so I don't have to do the guessing. Available factory ammo for the 6 creedmoor, is better for my application. Go to the store, buy some ammunition and go shoot little groups.

Last edited:
I buy the factory ammo to break in the rifle and when I can't find brass to buy for reloading, both Hornady and Barnes make really good factory ammo for the 6mm-Creed. but it can get spendy when you want to shoot 100 + rounds at the Range and I enjoy reloading my own.

I've been watching a couple of CR's at 1000 yards in benchrest competition with quality built rifles...very very impressive little cartridge...other than a Dasher this might be my choice over all the others !!

6 Creed for me!
received_2062322710560776.jpeg

Let's face it the 6XC a great cartridge and paved the way for the 6 Creed which is almost a clone of the 6XC. The Creed sells over the 6XC only because the name Creedmore is a great marketing name since the 6.5 Creedmore has blessed and legitimized.

Someone please educate me on the difference between the regular 6mm and the 6cm.

Not sure there is any such thing as a "regular 6mm". The three most likely to be compared are the 6mm Remington which I believe is basically a necked down 257 Roberts, the 243 Winchester which is a necked down 308 Winchester, and the 6mm Creedmore which is a necked down 6.5 Creedmore. While it had a good beginning, the 6mm Remington never really got off the ground because the original was twisted too fast (1 in 12") for a decent deer bullet at the time it was released. Remington re-released it with a 1 in 9 with the introduction of the Remington 700 rifles but it was too late.

The 243 has always been king of the 6mm hill. If you don't know what that is, then I probably can't help you.

The 6mm Creedmoor was based on the 6.5 Creedmoor, and that round is a slightly smaller twin to the 260 Remington which is a necked down 308. The 6.5 Creedmore case is essentially the 260 Rem. case with the shoulder pushed back a bit to lengthen the neck. The shoulder is sharpened from 200 to 300. The result is internal volume about 5% less than the 260 Rem, but less bullet intrusion into that powder space. In the average rifle, the 260 will drive 140-grain bullets about 50 fps to 100 fps faster than the 6.5 Creed. Similarly, the average 243 will drive a 90-grain bullet 100 to 150 fps faster than the creed.

However, both creeds come equipped with a magic fairy dust that dulls the brains of anyone who owns one. After holding a Creedmore cartridge in their hands and chambering it, it somehow gains a thousand feet per second, shoots under a tenth of an inch, and actually stops dropping totally so those who own them don't have to hold for distance or wind. They just aim and shoot from 50 to 5000 ft.

If you buy a creed, get a gas mask to prevent fairy dust from contaminating your brain. Or, don't get the gas mask, join the horde of brainwashed Creed lovers, and then entertain us all with how awesome it is. :confused:

Not sure there is any such thing as a "regular 6mm". The three most likely to be compared are the 6mm Remington which I believe is basically a necked down 257 Roberts, the 243 Winchester which is a necked down 308 Winchester, and the 6mm Creedmore which is a necked down 6.5 Creedmore. While it had a good beginning, the 6mm Remington never really got off the ground because the original was twisted too fast (1 in 12") for a decent deer bullet at the time it was released. Remington re-released it with a 1 in 9 with the introduction of the Remington 700 rifles but it was too late.

The 243 has always been king of the 6mm hill. If you don't know what that is, then I probably can't help you.

The 6mm Creedmoor was based on the 6.5 Creedmoor, and that round is a slightly smaller twin to the 260 Remington which is a necked down 308. The 6.5 Creedmore case is essentially the 260 Rem. case with the shoulder pushed back a bit to lengthen the neck. The shoulder is sharpened from 200 to 300. The result is internal volume about 5% less than the 260 Rem, but less bullet intrusion into that powder space. In the average rifle, the 260 will drive 140-grain bullets about 50 fps to 100 fps faster than the 6.5 Creed. Similarly, the average 243 will drive a 90-grain bullet 100 to 150 fps faster than the creed.

However, both creeds come equipped with a magic fairy dust that dulls the brains of anyone who owns one. After holding a Creedmore cartridge in their hands and chambering it, it somehow gains a thousand feet per second, shoots under a tenth of an inch, and actually stops dropping totally so those who own them don't have to hold for distance or wind. They just aim and shoot from 50 to 5000 ft.

If you buy a creed, get a gas mask to prevent fairy dust from contaminating your brain. Or, don't get the gas mask, join the horde of brainwashed Creed lovers, and then entertain us all with how awesome it is. :confused:
Yep,there is a 6mm rem.my brother bought one back in 1967.Don't plan on buying the 6cm or the 6.5cm.I'll stick with my .243.Ain't much need for a long range gun around here.Thanks for the response.

Some folks say the 6.5 hornady CM was developed from the Thompson center 30, 30TC, necked to 6.5
Looking at images of the cases side by side seem to support this.
Just as an aside the 6.5 Hornady CM looks a heck of a lot like the 6.5 Carcano that Norma is making, especially with the projectile heavy and way forward in the case into a long throat chamber.
There is so much nice stuff built around the 6.5 that it is a great idea for newbies to buy into a long range set up. I am considering an F class type setup in 6.5 PRC....but money is an issue. And I like my 243, 6mm Remington so it is hard to justify a $1000 to 2000 rifle at present. I have a 300 WM I am gonna try long distance with for now.

Recent Posts