.223 Remington semiauto rifles that don't look like ARs

The original BAR , browning automatic rifle, was a full auto capable 30-06 used in at least one World War . 18lbs of hand held fury . Guy I worked with in the sporting goods industry had one.
The modern BAR isn't anything similar to the original ,except by name. Browning wisely just borrowed a name with recognition to help sell their comp for the Remington 742.
Bonnie and Clyde used a modified sbr m1918 version of the 30-06 full auto BAR against law enforcement
Screenshot_20220623-140808_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Bonnie and Clyde used a modified sbr m1918 version of the 30-06 full auto BAR against law enforcement View attachment 373869
Yep, in the movie, the highway men, they used them to hunt Bonnie and Clyde as well . From my understanding they tried to stay true to the weapons used in the actual events . Good movie , if you haven't seen it , worth a watch.
It gives the story from the perspective of the Texas rangers that came out of retirement to hunt Bonnie and Clyde down.

Until this morning I had no idea there was a difference between a clip and a mag.
Clip is a term used in circles that think of firearms as something to push people around with , ie gangbangers, thugs, and the mainstream media . Gack, foe five, and 9 are terms used by folks with clips . People use magazines to protect themselves from clip toters:)

While it's probably useful to clearly establish the pedantic class that inspires noise canceling headphones on airplanes it does little to solve the initial question.

Old captain of mine had some hk sporter rifle that was pretty sleek, about a decade ago a volquartsen evolution came up cheap and I gave it a try. While a good idea on paper it was so heavy it wasn't useful outside of static pest control. It went down the road when they were discontinued and prices rose. For straight Squirrel shooting it was a hoot.

Half the boats up here used to rock a mini 14 or mini 30, always good if you're targets inside 50ft. Some folks really like them, mine were reliable but left a lot to be desired on the accuracy front. I've sold a few guns, and the minis made the list of the very few I've never missed.

A sleeker pc carbine style 223 would be nice, would think between the restricted states and this of us wanting one for sporting reasons the market could be there.

While it's probably useful to clearly establish the pedantic class that inspires noise canceling headphones on airplanes it does little to solve the initial question.

Old captain of mine had some hk sporter rifle that was pretty sleek, about a decade ago a volquartsen evolution came up cheap and I gave it a try. While a good idea on paper it was so heavy it wasn't useful outside of static pest control. It went down the road when they were discontinued and prices rose. For straight Squirrel shooting it was a hoot.

Half the boats up here used to rock a mini 14 or mini 30, always good if you're targets inside 50ft. Some folks really like them, mine were reliable but left a lot to be desired on the accuracy front. I've sold a few guns, and the minis made the list of the very few I've never missed.

A sleeker pc carbine style 223 would be nice, would think between the restricted states and this of us wanting one for sporting reasons the market could be there.
I dont think the manufacturers think the market is there . We already have a super semi 223 in plentiful supply in the AR . The problem isn't lack of a suitable rifle , its a problem of ignorant people giving a fine rifle a bad name . I'm sure the manufacturers know, as well as most of us, if they come out with a more "PC" 223 , the crazies will just move the goalposts . They will never stop moving the goalposts till they reach their goal, no guns period.

Ignore most of the previous comments. Ruger makes and sells the Mini-14 in .223/5.56NATO configuration. Go here: https://www.ruger.com/products/mini14RanchRifle/models.html
I had two and sold one recently through my LGS (here in CA).
You can used Mini-14s but make sure the model is 181 or later. The model 180 is no longer supported parts wise by Ruger.
Ruger sells, as an accessory, ten round magazines. Go here:
https://shopruger.com/Mini-14-10-Round-Magazine/productinfo/90339/ for the OEM model (preferred)
https://shopruger.com/556-NATO_223-Rem-10-Round-Magazine/productinfo/90659/ for a less expensive model but with some negative comments. You get what you pay for.
In CA you cannot add a 'flash protector' or 'silencer' but you can add a 'compensator'.
Hope this helps.
I'm just guessing at this, but my guess is that mini 14 sure looks a lot like the M14, a military gun. Soooo, that's not going to work

I don't care that my ar 15s are scary, genuinely don't care. Doest detract from the desire for a nice tidy little sporter or retro autoloader.