22 magnum good for out to........"______" range

98s1lightning

How many yards is a 22 mag effective on yotes?

Or accurate for the matter.

Killing power @ 200yds or not so much?

will it kill a coyote at 200? Yes!
will it kill every coyote at 200/ No!

100 Yards consistently with a perfect hit you bet. They start losing energy pretty fast.
I've bought lots of coyotes with 22 mag bullets in the shoulder.

I personally wouldn't target coyotes with one. They are tougher than fox for sure. My personal max range is 100yds or under for 22mag for fox or smaller.
This was one was @ 80yds right between the eyes, it had enough power to explode both eyeballs.
Aguila 40gr jacketed Soft point…approx 200 ft lbs at the range it was shot…not saying 22mag won't kill a coyote but def better choices…it was marginal on the fox at that range, I would have thought twice if I didn't have a 100% certain shot. Fox was laying in a field not on the move.
20171218_232025.jpeg

I tried 17HMR for a bit after someone tried persuading me on using it.

Results were weak.

I would stick to centerfire, but I like the interesting conversation and learning.

I'd like to see support come back for 17wsm, love the round but more rifle choices would be nice. Ammo availability is also a problem these days.

I had a lot of interest in it when it came out but never got around to buying a gun chambered in it. With the availability and prices of 17 WSM ammo nowadays I am glad I didn't make the investment. I'll stick with my 22 Hornet and 223.

I tried 17HMR for a bit after someone tried persuading me on using it.

Results were weak.

I would stick to centerfire, but I like the interesting conversation and learning.
Same here. Unfortunately most small game seasons by me, which coyote falls under, is rimfire only.

I killed 55 in one Summer with a Ruger all weather 77/22M with Win 40g HP. I rode horseback in areas where there were no access roads to get to, coyotes were plentiful. S. Az.

My longest shot was right at 125 yards on a facing shot. Coming in to the caller, most shots were 80 yards and under where the 40g Win Hp did a fine job. Realize you have to have good shot placement in the lungs/shoulder.

17 HMR was dismal to say the least, you need bullet weight to get the penetration you need.

Bullet choice does make a big difference, 40g Winchester HP kills, and is a real jacketed Hollow Point. Much of the Mag ammo out there is made for very small varmints with not a lot of penetration, such as the poly tip bullets. Winchester Supreme will not reliably kill feral cats.

Like I said, I killed 55 in one Summer in S. Az. ON possible longer shots, I oped to coax them in with a little red squeaker or lip squeaks.

Clean your 22 Mag every 250 rounds just like you would a centerfire .224 bore for best accuracy.

Put me in the 80 yards in under camp, shot a lot of coyotes around Ranch houses back in college with a 22 Mag. But never shot him very far away with that rifle.

I killed 55 in one Summer with a Ruger all weather 77/22M with Win 40g HP. I rode horseback in areas where there were no access roads to get to, coyotes were plentiful. S. Az.

My longest shot was right at 125 yards on a facing shot. Coming in to the caller, most shots were 80 yards and under where the 40g Win Hp did a fine job. Realize you have to have good shot placement in the lungs/shoulder.

17 HMR was dismal to say the least, you need bullet weight to get the penetration you need.
Speed kills, 17 hornet at 3650 will drop a coyote easily at 200 yards with a 15, or 20 grain,shot placement is key.been there done that many times, the 17 hmr is weak, and the 22 mag while better is at best a 100 yard coyote killer with a well places shot.Double lung,head or mid neck.

On yotes and fox, I tried to keep a 100 yd or so max range depending on factors, and many years ago, I knew a few country boys/farmers who culled nighttime deer in crop fields with the 22mag with head shots in the 100-125 yard range. Back then, nighttime hunting could only be rimfire or shotgun with #6 or smaller. But usually, they shot shorter that those maximum.

I haven't used the 22mag in many years, as it just made more sense for me to load and use my 222's and 223's. But if it was all I had, I would put it to use.

Last edited: