22 GT; anyone with experience care to share thier experiences, general load & ballistic info. I’m considering a build.

I've built 25 saum and 25cr. 26" barrels 135 bergers and standard powders(rl16/h4350, H1000/N565) the creed will run 2900ish, 25saum will run 3200. If you use rl26, both are capable of another 100+fps. 25gt will run best at 2800 due to its capacity.

I've built 25 saum and 25cr. 26" barrels 135 bergers and standard powders(rl16/h4350, H1000/N565) the creed will run 2900ish, 25saum will run 3200. If you use rl26, both are capable of another 100+fps. 25gt will run best at 2800 due to its capacity.
Good information, thanks! What kind of barrel life out of the 25 SAUM. I see where people are building some, but guessing without any info the barrels wouldn't last long.

Last edited:
Mine didn't last long, ran it pretty hard with rl26, pulled at 900 rounds.
Thanks for the info. I think the 25 cm will be a good compromise. Seems like most built off that case has done well. I shot a 26/06 as a puppy for a long time so that plays into it. I have a lot of 65 PRC Lapua brass but was guessing I would be entering the area of diminishing returns.
Thanks for your share!

Thanks for the info. I think the 25 cm will be a good compromise. Seems like most built off that case has done well. I shot a 26/06 as a puppy for a long time so that plays into it. I have a lot of 65 PRC Lapua brass but was guessing I would be entering the area of diminishing returns.
Thanks for your share!
Unless you push it really hard a 6.5PRC should produce pretty decent barrel life. It was designed from the start for high volume PRS competition shooters.

A 6.5 CM or 6.5-06 should give you better barrel life but if you're not a high volume shooter any of them should easily last you 15-20 years or more with regular cleaning and maintenance.

Avoid long shot strings and don't shoot it hot and any of them should give you 1,500-2 ,000 or more rounds of barrel life.

Melonite or Nitriding a barrel can extend that life considerably as well.

Later I'll calculate the case capacity between the 2 to see which should give me the most speed. Some are building 25 saums, PRC s. My #1 goal is accuracy, I want & need speed - I'd like to maker the hunter series power factor with it but not counting on it. even though I need speed I don't want a bbl burner. I'm guessing those 25 Saum s will not last 1200 rds.
You'll make PF pretty easy with the 25CM. If you can get the 135's to 2850 you can still make PF with the 25GT. It could be a pretty slick little round for NRL Hunter...

t

Unless you push it really hard a 6.5PRC should produce pretty decent barrel life. It was designed from the start for high volume PRS competition shooters.

A 6.5 CM or 6.5-06 should give you better barrel life but if you're not a high volume shooter any of them should easily last you 15-20 years or more with regular cleaning and maintenance.

Avoid long shot strings and don't shoot it hot and any of them should give you 1,500-2 ,000 or more rounds of barrel life.

Melonite or Nitriding a barrel can extend that life considerably as well.
Wild, I rambled & didn't make myself clear . The comment was asking about diminishing returns & barrel life necking down 65 PRC to a 25 caliber. I've got 2 25 cal barrels on order with current plans to build a 25 Creedmoor. I've seen s comments on necking down the Saum & PRC to 25 cal & was thinking the barrel life might be short & enter the area of diminishing returns. I have a 65 PRC & have built & sold 2 others. When built on an XM action I think the 65 PRC is awesome & very efficient. I apologize for not being more clear & appreciate your input!

I'm thinking about building a 22 GT and can't find much data on it even though brass is manufactured for it. I've exchanged info with one shooter who loves thier 22GT build. I would be shooting heavy for caliber bullets 80-90 g. Use would be mainly for fun, varmits. I have a PRS build in 6mm, but might would shoot this just for fun.
I hope this would not be a cartridge debate as I've been looking at different 22s for awhile. I appreciate if anyone can provide some feedback on their experiences. Thanks to all in advance!
Resurrecting this old thread to share my results so far with the .22 GT. Did some more load work up on my .22GT. Once I found max, I concentrated on higher charges hoping to find accuracy with 88gr ELD-Ms at 3000fps or more from my 20" Osprey barrel. Alas, it was not to be. This barrel decidedly did not like any charges of H4350 greater than 36gr, grouping a bit over 1" with for 10 shots. I remembered back to when I was finding max, that four consecutive charges from 34 to 35.6gr all went into the same ragged hole so decided to try 35gr. Bingo! 35gr grouped 10 shots into .443" center to center. You can see "flyers" at 6 o'clock and 8 o'clock in the group. By the time I was six shots in, mirage off the suppressor was significant. Had it not been for that I think I could have done even better. Eight of the ten shots are probably in the high .2s. Didn't chrono it but based on come ups at 900, velocity is about 2900. I had hoped for more speed, but I don't think 100fps is going to make or break a shot. Overall, very pleased so far.

John

880-D5-B5-C-F619-4991-8-BA0-10-BA93-E8-C747.jpg

8-F65284-E-78-F3-4283-9181-BC899-E0-AF4-A5.jpg

Resurrecting this old thread to share my results so far with the .22 GT. Did some more load work up on my .22GT. Once I found max, I concentrated on higher charges hoping to find accuracy with 88gr ELD-Ms at 3000fps or more from my 20" Osprey barrel. Alas, it was not to be. This barrel decidedly did not like any charges of H4350 greater than 36gr, grouping a bit over 1" with for 10 shots. I remembered back to when I was finding max, that four consecutive charges from 34 to 35.6gr all went into the same ragged hole so decided to try 35gr. Bingo! 35gr grouped 10 shots into .443" center to center. You can see "flyers" at 6 o'clock and 8 o'clock in the group. By the time I was six shots in, mirage off the suppressor was significant. Had it not been for that I think I could have done even better. Eight of the ten shots are probably in the high .2s. Didn't chrono it but based on come ups at 900, velocity is about 2900. I had hoped for more speed, but I don't think 100fps is going to make or break a shot. Overall, very pleased so far.

John

880-D5-B5-C-F619-4991-8-BA0-10-BA93-E8-C747.jpg

8-F65284-E-78-F3-4283-9181-BC899-E0-AF4-A5.jpg
John, I moved forward with the build. My 1st one has been finished for awhile now. We've had cold wet weather & I haven't shot in awhile + I have been breaking in 2 25 CM barrels. I don't remember my load without looking at my data book. It is H4350, which I'm glad of because I have so much of it. I use Varget for my 6 GT. My 1st build is a heavy PRS rifle built with a 26" Hawkhill MTU SS barrel. It has become my favorite cartridg. I've got a 7.25 twist Bartlein M24 CF barrel ordered & have all the other pieces on hand. All I shoot is the 85.5 LRHT Berger. I had a custom reamer made up off dummy rounds made with the Bergers. I'll try to remember to look & add my load data. The ballistics are crazy good with the long heavy .224 bullets. Mine drive one though the same hole at 100 yards. Sub 1/2 moa at distance. Feed flawlessly from a .308 mag with no mods. I'm really looking forward to my lightweight build.
It's a cold wet day so I went upstairs & got my book. I haven't finished barrel break-in so these numbers will migrate. 35.4 H4350, CCI 450s, 85.5 LRHTs, Alpha brass my vel ~ 3120 fps, SDs ~ 4.0 - 6.1, 10 shot groups were just 1 ragged hole. I pulled the barrel action out of an ACC chassis & put it in a Manners TCS & bedded the lug + rear tang. I'm old & have more rifles than I want. I prefer to focus on fewer instead of always switching. The 6 GT & 22 GT will be keepers with the 22 GT being my favorite.

Attachments

• 8E1DC10B-CE03-4F27-A47C-F85683937616.jpeg
    8E1DC10B-CE03-4F27-A47C-F85683937616.jpeg
    630.8 KB · Views: 55
John, I moved forward with the build. My 1st one has been finished for awhile now. We've had cold wet weather & I haven't shot in awhile + I have been breaking in 2 25 CM barrels. I don't remember my load without looking at my data book. It is H4350, which I'm glad of because I have so much of it. I use Varget for my 6 GT. My 1st build is a heavy PRS rifle built with a 26" Hawkhill MTU SS barrel. It has become my favorite cartridg. I've got a 7.25 twist Bartlein M24 CF barrel ordered & have all the other pieces on hand. All I shoot is the 85.5 LRHT Berger. I had a custom reamer made up off dummy rounds made with the Bergers. I'll try to remember to look & add my load data. The ballistics are crazy good with the long heavy .224 bullets. Mine drive one though the same hole at 100 yards. Sub 1/2 moa at distance. Feed flawlessly from a .308 mag with no mods. I'm really looking forward to my lightweight build.
It's a cold wet day so I went upstairs & got my book. I haven't finished barrel break-in so these numbers will migrate. 35.4 H4350, CCI 450s, 85.5 LRHTs, Alpha brass my vel ~ 3120 fps, SDs ~ 4.0 - 6.1, 10 shot groups were just 1 ragged hole. I pulled the barrel action out of an ACC chassis & put it in a Manners TCS & bedded the lug + rear tang. I'm old & have more rifles than I want. I prefer to focus on fewer instead of always switching. The 6 GT & 22 GT will be keepers with the 22 GT being my favorite.
Going to have a .22GT barrel spun up for my hunting rifle as well. I suspect I'll like it just as much in that application as in my heavy gun.

John

Going to have a .22GT barrel spun up for my hunting rifle as well. I suspect I'll like it just as much in that application as in my heavy gun.

John
John, I thought about a 22 BR instead, but I'm not so sure the 6 & 22 GT won't surpass or run neck & neck with the BR family on expected precision & ease of tuning.

John, I thought about a 22 BR instead, but I'm not so sure the 6 & 22 GT won't surpass or run neck & neck with the BR family on expected precision & ease of tuning.
I feel the gt case can have the same precision as a br variant. However due to the extra overbore, it will take more to keep it in tune. My first 6gt was a hammer, with 108bt bergers I could routinely shoot sub 1.5" groups at 400y, closer to 1" avg. My 6bra does the same thing, but has way less throat erosion doing it, 108bt vs 105hyb. H4350, around 2940fps in both cartridges. My 2nd and 3rd 6gt shoot very well too, but micro accuracy isnt what im chasing anymore they're prs rifles once they're half moa at distance, I call it good and shoot matches.

I feel the gt case can have the same precision as a br variant. However due to the extra overbore, it will take more to keep it in tune. My first 6gt was a hammer, with 108bt bergers I could routinely shoot sub 1.5" groups at 400y, closer to 1" avg. My 6bra does the same thing, but has way less throat erosion doing it, 108bt vs 105hyb. H4350, around 2940fps in both cartridges. My 2nd and 3rd 6gt shoot very well too, but micro accuracy isnt what im chasing anymore they're prs rifles once they're half moa at distance, I call it good and shoot matches.
I would like to do it all with one cartridge. There's a range within driving distance where I can try some F-class & BR. I have never done it , but would like to try. Also, shooting some crows. I think the GT will do it all. During Bullet Central's BF sale I ordered a 26" Bartlein 7.5 M24 chambered in 6 BRA. I'm looking forward to seeing how I make out with it. I've got everything in hand & just waiting on barrel.
My 1st GT was a 6 from Impact Shooting. I put everything together & it was the best shooter I've ever shot.

B34-E9143-743-B-4409-AA2-E-E31-EE82007-AB.jpg

Shot these five at 800 yards yesterday. Black dot is about softball size for reference.

C2-AD8-FB4-03-DA-44-E6-BEB3-51009-BE313-DA.jpg

5432-D4-E6-DA39-4-C1-E-A633-59-C7287-E247-E.jpg

Shot this sow with same load this evening at about 175 yards. Muddy spot is POI. 88gr ELD did the trick. DRT. Sow is longer than the rifle and weighs every bit as much as I do.

John