.22 Creedmoor, anyone?

i am gathering as much info as i can for one.
trying to decide on a twist but it looks like a 1:7" will be the way i go.
i only plan to shoot the 80eldm and 88eldm.
just basing off the berger twist calculator...
1:8 shows to not be enough for the 80eldms and a 1:7 needed for the 88s

Does anyone have a good idea of how much freebore is ideal for the 75-80 grainers in the 22 Creed? Trying to figure out a reamer spec to use. My old barrel had a pretty short throat and I feel it caused early pressure and less case capacity. OAL with the 80.5 bergers to the lands was 2.620"

Does anyone have a good idea of how much freebore is ideal for the 75-80 grainers in the 22 Creed? Trying to figure out a reamer spec to use. My old barrel had a pretty short throat and I feel it caused early pressure and less case capacity. OAL with the 80.5 bergers to the lands was 2.620"
good question. do you know the freebore of your old barrel?

the reamer im looking at has .080fb i dont know if thats enough or not for 80eldm

I don't - i sold it and never did measure it. It sounds like the "standard" reamer is .050 freebore, which i think is short of what's needed.

If you don't mind me asking... which reamer are you looking at? I think I'm going to call manson today and ask what they think on it.

I don't - i sold it and never did measure it. It sounds like the "standard" reamer is .050 freebore, which i think is short of what's needed.

If you don't mind me asking... which reamer are you looking at? I think I'm going to call manson today and ask what they think on it.

it just says Dave Manson "22-Creedmoor STD"

what do you think would be needed for 80 and 88eldm?

I'm thinking like .080 - .100 but that just a guess, hard to say... i'm doing some research on it. I'm sure a good gunsmith could take a dummy round and figure out what would work best.

Should receive a couple of them next week. 26" 1:7 twist, one on a Tikka t3 and the other on a CRF m70

75Amax, 75 Scirocco, 77 LRX, and 88 ELD will be the bullets. Lots of promising powders - RL26, RL23, RL22, H4831sc, Magpro, RL19, RL16, H4350

I don't, but I have reworked all my reamers for additional freebore. My 6 Creed had .183" and I'm moving towards .200-.210 for the longer pills. I've found .050 Jump seems to run just about every bullet I've tried much better than what I was doing. Less pressure more consistent VEs and once I get the load it stays the same for 90% of the life of the barrel. Load up a bullet in the case and make sure the bearing surface and boat tail junction is above the neck/shoulder junction then measure base of the cartridge to Ogive and add .050.

With a 22 Creed having nearly identical case capacity as the 22-243, do you think the 22 Creed offers anything over a 22-243??

I'm hankering for another fast twist 22 cal hot rod and I like the idea of being able to get 22 Creed brass ready to go from Alpha but beyond that, I'm not sure the 22 Creed does anything better than one of the 22-243 variants, especially the "improved" versions of the 22-243

I personally think you'd be splitting hairs. I often use 22-243 Quickload data for the 22 Creed, just because they are so similar, and the numbers often work. If you had a pile of 243 brass, I wouldn't go 22 Creed. However, i have a 6 creed so it made lots of sense for me.

Even a 22-250 AI would be real close to 22 Creed.

Freebore for heavy bullets 88 eldm, 95gr match king is 0.120 0.080 should do the trick for 80gr and down. There is a 22 creedmoor Facebook page with a lot of info. I just picked up my Tikka 22-250 1:8 twist that's going to be reamed to 22 creed. I also have a carbon six 1:7 sendero barrel that will probably be put on a kelbly atlas eventually. Due to the long bearing surface of the eld bullets, you can get away with slower twist. Guy are reporting sufficient stability of the 88gr with a 1:8 twist.

I personally think you'd be splitting hairs. I often use 22-243 Quickload data for the 22 Creed, just because they are so similar, and the numbers often work. If you had a pile of 243 brass, I wouldn't go 22 Creed. However, i have a 6 creed so it made lots of sense for me.

Even a 22-250 AI would be real close to 22 Creed.
Yup! same mouse trap pick your favorite cheese and go for it

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.