204 Ruger options? Tikka? Ruger?

My first .204 was a Savage build utilizing a long varmint weight barrel used off the internet. A real shooter! Sub .2" at 100

It was too cumbersome for day to day ranching and I found a 24" sporter barrel and it wears it to this day. The sporter settled in as a sub .3" and losing .1" in accuracy was ok in my book when the lighter rifle is more portable since it is dedicated to predators.

Along comes a CZ American .204 (used) with a storied history of high accuracy and I added it to my stable of long guns. Now it was shooting clover leafs for years with the factory 32 gr vmax by Hornady but the previous owner never got handloads to shoot as fast or as accurately as the afermentioned Hornady load.

Well, I had to dig into the whys on that mystery!

It turns out that CZ 527 rifles from the era this one was built in (late 2004 to early 2005) had been shipped with front action screws a little too long. So long as the barrel was still riding in bottom of the barrel channel of the stock users did not notice the problem. The previous owner though he had floated his barrel but only lightened the touch.

When I totally floated it after I acquired the gun, I noticed that the whole action was flexing off the rear screw. The front of the action moved up and down 1/16" of an inch! Man that was a surprise!

I have temporarily fixed that with a suitable flat washer under the bottom metal.

The other thing I remedied was that the barrel needed a deep cleaning. USP Bore paste took care of that.

Now that little CZ American .204 puts them all in tight little clover leafs at 100 yds. factory and hand loaded ammo alike and a full case of Rl 15 lit by a CCI 450 pushing that 32 gr vmax is the ticket!

They say a "path that does not have a few obstacles, does not lead anywhere". I have always found that to be true and my CZ in 204 is a good example. Not simple but very well worth the effort!

Three44s

I have been wanting to look at a 17 Rem in CZ. I have always wanted one. But I found some 30gr Berger in 20 cal.

A quick update. I actually handled a TC rifle in 204Ruger and it and I didn't really bond well. I must admit, I had just handled a T3X in a different caliber so, I may have bee a bit biased. That T3X would have gone home with me IF it was in 204Ruger.

I just got off the phone with Berretta USA and they confirmed the only T3X being imported was the compact model. Apparently the whiz kids in marketing have determined that the Compact model is the only one that will sell enough to justify export-related costs from Finland. :mad:

A quick update. I actually handled a TC rifle in 204Ruger and it and I didn't really bond well. I must admit, I had just handled a T3X in a different caliber so, I may have bee a bit biased. That T3X would have gone home with me IF it was in 204Ruger.

I just got off the phone with Berretta USA and they confirmed the only T3X being imported was the compact model. Apparently the whiz kids in marketing have determined that the Compact model is the only one that will sell enough to justify export-related costs from Finland. :mad:

Too bad ,the TC Venture is a shooting fool,and gets my vote with its 1 in 10 twist rate,I can assure all one thing if you find one that will out-shoot a TC,it's by a mouse hair at best.But I do realize some rifles don't do it for all.

Too bad ,the TC Venture is a shooting fool,and gets my vote with its 1 in 10 twist rate,I can assure all one thing if you find one that will out-shoot a TC,it's by a mouse hair at best.But I do realize some rifles don't do it for all.

I've had my shoulder rebuilt so since then I have had to be a bit picky. Rifles I owned with a 'stiff' bolt cycle had to go as they hurt my shoulder.

The TC Venture I handled, a sample size of ONE, had a real hitch upon bolt throw which tweaked my shoulder enough to be a no-go.

The Tikka in comparison was almost a one finger bolt throw and super smooth so, I may be discounting some potential bias on my end. Also, with a sample size of one 'rack' rifle, it is possible someone had jacked it up a little bit fumbling with the bolt possibly or having some debris in the action causing the hangup.

Another vote for the CZ; I also suggest the Varmint model, which is not all that heavy or unmanageable. Bolt operation effort is probably between the two-lug Tikka and the TC (I'm also running with a "rebuilt" shoulder after a workplace accident, and working the bolt on my CZ isn't an issue.)
Might keep an eye out for a good used older-style style Tikka Varmint. Haven't seen a new one for sale in a coon's age (probably dropped in the US, if they're even still produced.) They were shooters.

I've had my shoulder rebuilt so since then I have had to be a bit picky. Rifles I owned with a 'stiff' bolt cycle had to go as they hurt my shoulder.

The TC Venture I handled, a sample size of ONE, had a real hitch upon bolt throw which tweaked my shoulder enough to be a no-go.

The Tikka in comparison was almost a one finger bolt throw and super smooth so, I may be discounting some potential bias on my end. Also, with a sample size of one 'rack' rifle, it is possible someone had jacked it up a little bit fumbling with the bolt possibly or having some debris in the action causing the hangup.
Anythings possible,however my TC bolt is as smooth as it gets,go figure.

Anythings possible,however my TC bolt is as smooth as it gets,go figure.

If I see another, I'll give it a bolt throw and see if what I noticed was a one-off problem with a rack rifle that might have seen a bad customer somewhere along the way.

I seen 2 more TC venture 204 rifle for sell. If I didnt have 2 I would buy one. I looked at the cz rifles other say in 22 Hornets. Does the clip hang how in all there rifles? Not a fan of that.

I seen 2 more TC venture 204 rifle for sell. If I didnt have 2 I would buy one. I looked at the cz rifles other say in 22 Hornets. Does the clip hang how in all there rifles? Not a fan of that.
Fine rifle their,the little the mag hangs out 3/4 in would not be a game changer for me,set trigger,legendary accuracy,mine is mounted on a Digex 455 night vision scope by Pulsar.Killed enough game with it to fill a semi go for it.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.