204 Ruger - Fouling

Bwhittty

Hello All,

I have a Factory Savage 12 Varminter Low Profile in 204 Ruger with 115 rounds down the tube. I shoot 8208 powder with 32 Vmax bullets. The gun loses accuracy after approx 35 rounds after a fresh clean. Clean it and its right back to driving tacks. I have "heard" this caliber fouls frequently. I have also "heard" that CFE223 powder will reduce that.

Will a custom barrel foul less than this factory barrel? Will CFE or another powder cure the problem? Or is this just the nature of the beast with a 204?

Any thoughts or real life examples would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Brett

You will have to analyze your bore with a Teslong bore scope to see if you are dealing with powder or copper fouling. My friends shoot X caliber Stainless steel barrels in their 204s on p. dog towns, they clean every 100 rounds, but they do a deep clean.

Savage barrels can be real rough inside, you have to determine if yours is a rough barrel, then live with it or not.

CFE keeps the copper from fouling the barrel. But it burns very dirty! I have shot 10K+ rounds of 204 with CFE 223, to combat the powder fouling when shooting I run a bore snake through a couple times every 75-100 rounds. I'm now transitioning to SW Match, it's less expensive and burns much cleaner and so far seems to keep the copper away? Lilja and CZ barrels, I have zero experience with Savage.

Savage barrels have been known to be hit or miss in roughness. Years ago, I had a M12 BVSS in a 1/9tw 223, and with a handload of H335 and 50gr Speer TNT's, it shot 0.3" 5 shot groups and was great on the P-dog towns. That is until about 40 shots were down the tube, and then about every 4th or 5th shot I saw those fragile TNT's disintegrating before reaching their targets and more misses than hits. After a good cleaning, it went back to shooting tight little groups until the same thing began again. After that shoot, I hand lapped the barrel, and I never had that issue again.

Similar rough bore with a 22-250 Savage I purchased, but this time, I fire polished with a Tubbs kit before loading and shooting, and it never gave me an issue.

Last edited:
Savage barrels have been known to be hit or miss in roughness. Years ago, I had a M12 VBSS in a 1/9tw 223, and with a handload of H335 and 50gr Speer TNT's, it shot 0.3" 5 shot groups and was great on the P-dog towns. That is until about 40 shots were down the tube, and then about every 4th or 5th shot I saw those fragile TNT's disintegrating before reaching their targets and more misses than hits. After a good cleaning, it went back to shooting tight little groups until the same thing began again. After that shoot, I hand lapped the barrel, and I never had that issue again.

Similar rough bore with a 22-250 Savage I purchased, but this time, I fire polished with a Tubbs kit before loading and shooting, and it never gave me an issue.
Excellent info... Thank you!

2 calibres come to mind for needing frequent scrubbing to keep them shooting.
The .17 Remington, and most other 17 cal cartridges, and the .204 Ruger or other 20 cal cartridges.
I used to load for a buddy using 32g BT's in his 204 Ruger, and it would foul after 50 shots so badly that it would spray bullets.
I was loading 748 and 8208 for him.
In my 17 Remington, 25 shots and it was done. That too was loaded with 748 and Hornady 25g HP pills.

Cheers.

CFE keeps the copper from fouling the barrel. But it burns very dirty! I have shot 10K+ rounds of 204 with CFE 223, to combat the powder fouling when shooting I run a bore snake through a couple times every 75-100 rounds. I'm now transitioning to SW Match, it's less expensive and burns much cleaner and so far seems to keep the copper away? Lilja and CZ barrels, I have zero experience with Savage.
Thank you for that answer,a few weeks ago I was trying to explain that exact problem to a customer,and they could not grasp the concept of two types of fouling. Told me that I was full of BS . What you stated is my observation on CFE223 also.

We have several .204 Ruger Mark II 77 with Target barrels 26". We bought in 2004 when the .204R was first introduced.
We shoot 39gr SBK with H-4895 with 3,700-3.800 fps.. I have shot 200+ rounds at PD before cleaning and Jill 50-100 at the range with no problem. I bought a lot of CFE223 when H-4895 was hard to get but shot the CFE223.
I did Fire Lap these barrels with the Tubbs Kit when we first bought the rifles. We get 1/8 MOA with both barrels.
I am surprised to hear that other shooters have problems with fouling with <50 shots.

We have several .204 Ruger Mark II 77 with Target barrels 26". We bought in 2004 when the .204R was first introduced.
We shoot 39gr SBK with H-4895 with 3,700-3.800 fps.. I have shot 200+ rounds at PD before cleaning and Jill 50-100 at the range with no problem. I bought a lot of CFE223 when H-4895 was hard to get but shot the CFE223.
I did Fire Lap these barrels with the Tubbs Kit when we first bought the rifles. We get 1/8 MOA with both barrels.
I am surprised to hear that other shooters have problems with fouling with <50 shots.
Thank you... Sounds like i should lap the barrel!

Thank you... Sounds like i should lap the barrel!
Fire Lapping or Lapping a barrel does not guarantee that it will fix problems or make you barrel shoot any better. It could have the opposite effect on some barrels.
You should have someone that has experience and can look at you barrel with a Bore Scope and make any suggestions.