.204 Ruger for Coyotes, what is your opinion?

I have seen it a lot I never liked the head shots with the Winchester white box 40 gr hp22-250's . Not a real fan of hitting them too far back behind the ribs either , with any thing . I loaded my 223 with 55gr sierra bthp's running at around 2900 fps mv . Mush inside and not much exit sometimes some copper fragments . But I've seen them shot with a lot of different calibers and bullet designs one guy used a 7mm rem mag on broad side rib shots it had a 7mm entrance hole and around a half dollar size exit . It's an addiction for sure . I've had some pretty bad mess's myself . But do the best I can not to.

The 7mm exit wounds reminded me of some coyotes I have shot with full-sized rifles. Once on a Sonora deer hunt I called in and shot a bunch of coyotes. We were all done with mule deer after a couple of days, and needed some entertainment. So, we went out and called in some 'yotes, which were by far the dumbest coyotes I have ever seen. There were so many bobcats on this ranch that I think the 'yotes threw caution to the wind when coming to the call, maybe thinking that they didn't want the cats to get there first and get their free meal. All were skinny little 20 to 25-pounders, an all were shot with a 30-06 AI. The bullet was the 180-grain A-Frame, and the exit wounds were about the size of a dime. I was surprised, to say the least. The bullets just didn't make a big hole on the way out, but it sure killed them right now. I shot one in the rib cage, and another one got nailed by the over-spray. The expanded bullet that had come out of his buddy hit him in the hind quarter, went through him lengthwise, and flattened him on the spot. That was kinda fun, but it didn't take long for things to come back down into the normal range after that "average-booster." It was a fun hunt in all respects.

I'm not sure what the bullet weight or other load data is on what Brian used . It was the same as he used when hunting elk some thing in the 160 gr range with a spire point .

The 7mm exit wounds reminded me of some coyotes I have shot with full-sized rifles. Once on a Sonora deer hunt I called in and shot a bunch of coyotes. We were all done with mule deer after a couple of days, and needed some entertainment. So, we went out and called in some 'yotes, which were by far the dumbest coyotes I have ever seen. There were so many bobcats on this ranch that I think the 'yotes threw caution to the wind when coming to the call, maybe thinking that they didn't want the cats to get there first and get their free meal. All were skinny little 20 to 25-pounders, an all were shot with a 30-06 AI. The bullet was the 180-grain A-Frame, and the exit wounds were about the size of a dime. I was surprised, to say the least. The bullets just didn't make a big hole on the way out, but it sure killed them right now. I shot one in the rib cage, and another one got nailed by the over-spray. The expanded bullet that had come out of his buddy hit him in the hind quarter, went through him lengthwise, and flattened him on the spot. That was kinda fun, but it didn't take long for things to come back down into the normal range after that "average-booster." It was a fun hunt in all respects.
Ive used a .204 for many years for coyote ! I have killed them dead out to 260 yards as that's the furthest Ive shot at them here in Oregon

So you like that 24 NXT on coyotes 257 WBTBY? always gets the bullet inside the skin? Do you shoot all factory or do you reload also?
I am not saying she likes it. It was the flat out most accurate out of her Tikka. She is a better shot than dad anymore so she head shot I'd say about half the coyotes she killed this year (all 100yds or in btw) I do reload but not any 20 cal i suffer enough with reloading 22cal. I do reload all my long range ammo tho.

I know you're talking about 204 caliber but I've used 17 Remington 223 Remington 22-250 and 22 magnum's depending on where you hit them and at what range makes a tremendous difference on pelt damage. I have shot crows with my 17 @4000 + fps. 25 gr. and under 100 yards and the bullet never exit them but would clean a spot off their chest about the size of a silver dollar and explode feathers in to smoke. Then I shot coyotes at just over 100 yards and hit a bone in blow a hole out the side of them the size of my hand. I shoot groundhogs right behind the house very close range and the bullet never leaves their body and you can watch the body expand on impact through the scope. maybe I just never hit a good bone in one of those ground hogs. I would think that 204 in the lighter bullet would shoot similar to the 17 Remington but may do better in the wind. Shooting Prairie dogs off the bench after getting used to the wind I can hit consistently out to about 350 yards my buddy on the other hand shooting a 204 consistently hit them at 450 plus. Could be he is a better shooter. As you see in my picture I shoot Savage striker pistols in 223, 222-250, 243 and 308. They shoot just like a rifle. The only thing I can tell you for sure, I am envious of your shooting location. I bought a ruger 204 a while back and only sighted in and breaking the barrel in. A buddy of mine shot a coyote what is 6.5 creedmore ( 250 yards) small hole in and small hole out and drop him dead in his tracks. As long as they go down when you pull the trigger that's what counts.

Attachments

• 3-13.JPG
    3-13.JPG
    463.4 KB · Views: 356
I have a Kimber 84M and a Cooper Phoenix, both in 204's. I reload for them. I shoot the 32gr Vmax with 28gr of benchmark, 40gr Berger with 27.7gr of 4895. In both rifles the loads are 1/4 MOA. A great friend has 3 of the 204's, 2 Rems and a Cooper. We both FL size and I can shoot his loads or he can shoot my loads out of all 5 204's and have the same results. That seemed really strange to both of us... longest P-Dog confirmed kill was just a tad over 880 yards. Took 3-4 shots to get correct wind dope,( North Dakota). Wind was different where we were shooting from then were the P-Dog was at. 40gr Berger in chest of Yote at 350, She went from a sitting position to laying down.

I have a Kimber 84M and a Cooper Phoenix, both in 204's. I reload for them. I shoot the 32gr Vmax with 28gr of benchmark, 40gr Berger with 27.7gr of 4895. In both rifles the loads are 1/4 MOA. A great friend has 3 of the 204's, 2 Rems and a Cooper. We both FL size and I can shoot his loads or he can shoot my loads out of all 5 204's and have the same results. That seemed really strange to both of us... longest P-Dog confirmed kill was just a tad over 880 yards. Took 3-4 shots to get correct wind dope,( North Dakota). Wind was different where we were shooting from then were the P-Dog was at. 40gr Berger in chest of Yote at 350, She went from a sitting position to laying down.
Good round choice,almost 500 ft pounds energy at that range ,and depending on your zero about a 9 inch drop.I use the 40 Berger MVFB ,factory load. I don't reload.

Bit the bullet and purchased the CZ 527 Varmint in .204, put an inexpensive ($300) Vortex Tatical scope 4-12-40mm as it was a better balance than putting a heavy night force on it. Really like the trigger on it and the set trigger option is really fine. As people on here stated, the CZ is a shooter, factory 32 grain Hornady V-max's shot 3/8" 3 shot groups at 100 yards. First two loads with Reloader 10X and Accurate 2520 were 1/2" groups (39 SBK), when I do my part. Seems that each time I would get 2 touching and the 3rd a little bit away....has to be tweeking charge a little or bullet seating depth, my guess. I did a drop check on the 39 grain SBK, load was 29 grains Accurate 2520....1/2" high at 100, right on at 200, 4" low at 300 and 14" low at 400 yards..............man what a fun gun to shoot, cannot wait to put a few 39 grainers in some coyotes.........they sure left some craters in the metal plates I was shooting, all the way to 400 yards even......have access to a 1000 yard range, metal plates from 200 yards out every 100 yards.

Hi and thank ya for letting me join. I was shooting a 22 250 and 22 250AI. Got the 204 ruger. Now it's my main calling gun. I have the TC venture predator 204 ruger 1@10. Nikon buckmaster 6x18x40 target dot scope. I use Berger 35gr hp and Sierra 39gr bking mostly. But I am wanting to try some Berger 40gr hp on coyotes. I use the Berger 35gr hp for fur bullets. 39gr leaves to big whole. I have some people tell me the 32gr v max blows up easy. I dont know but to me why change from a 35gr Berger if its working. But I am a Berger fan. I just want to try the 40gr out. I have a bunch of different 20 cal bullets never got around to try them.
32gr z max , v max , nosler BT, bking
34gr hp mid south
35gr Berger
39gr bking, speer hp
40gr v max, nosler BT, accu tip, . I have few more cant think of right now. The only powder I have tried is RL10, H4895 332
But have benchmark, varget, RL15, TAC. I use Winchester brass mostly. I have nosler and hornady. Went to gun shop today he had Winchester 204 brass for 28.00 a 100. I ordered some Berger 40gr hp and a box of hornady 45gr sp. My 1@10 twist should handle them. I fount 2 tc venture black 204 ruger today. Going back to get one for me and my wife get's the other. She likes shooting paper with the 204. Again thanks for letting me join.

Morning sir, what load did you settle on with the 39 SBK bullet? I am playing with Reloader 10 and Accurate 2520 both look to have good potential, 25 grains for the 1st powder, 29 grains for the second.

I am at 25.5 gr I think. I would have to go back and look. My gun likes it so good. I bought over 10 pds of its.