204 ruger 1 bullet for all your hunting .

What length barrel are you running to getting that lightning speed ?
If this helps anyone, shooting a Thompson Center Venture with a 1/10 twist and a 22 inch barrel I achieved 3857 ,in that range checked several times with a Pro Chrono Plus at only 50 yards,they're were variations in fps by a span about 20 feet less in a couple of the shots fired. temp was 90 degrees.This was with a factory loaded HSM round,39 grain Blitz king with a BC of 0.287,and a HSM rating of 3857 feet per second.I killed one,and only one coyote with that round at a solid 500 yards. My go to in Ohio is still Hornadys 24 grain NTX,so far no disappointments.All in all for drt results and longer ranges, I feel this round is king for coyotes.Handloaders can have a field day with this round.

I can reload 39 grain SBK for roughly $9.16 for 20 rounds (if I am doing the math right) hard for me to buy 24 grain NTX's for $23 for 20 rounds, sound interesting, but I have a solid load and 1100 bullets to reload with..............

I can reload 39 grain SBK for roughly $9.16 for 20 rounds (if I am doing the math right) hard for me to buy 24 grain NTX's for $23 for 20 rounds, sound interesting, but I have a solid load and 1100 bullets to reload with..............
I don't have time or patience,or skills to reload,wish I did,so top factory loads is my go to,great success,with ,HSM,Hornady,and Black Hills,also Fiocchi a sleeper in the factory ammo loads.

I know a killed a bunch of stuff with a 39gr bking and RL10. First bullet ever loaded for my 204. If I was going to shoot factory. I would shoot HSM 35gr or 40gr Berger. I have a bunch of the 39gr bking on reloading table. Have any of ya loaded the 45gr sp in 204? I dont know for sure. But my 1@10 should shoot them. May load up some shoot a few hogs.

I know a killed a bunch of stuff with a 39gr bking and RL10. First bullet ever loaded for my 204. If I was going to shoot factory. I would shoot HSM 35gr or 40gr Berger. I have a bunch of the 39gr bking on reloading table. Have any of ya loaded the 45gr sp in 204? I dont know for sure. But my 1@10 should shoot them. May load up some shoot a few hogs.
Hornady makes an awesome 45 soft point with a high bc 0.245,at a quarter mile it's pushing over 325 pounds of energy with a drop of -36 inches,enough steam to DRT a coyote IF you can hit em,I did once so far with my 204. But not with that round.A 1/10 twist will handle it easily.

I have been sick. Double pneumonia getting over sucked the life out of me As soon as I get back to myself. I am going to load a few 45gr up to see how they group.

I use the 39gr Sierra BK as well. The 40 vmax won't stabilize in my Tikka hevi barrel. And the 32 vmax blows big holes out the other side. (25gr in a 17Rem is my preferred under 200 yds. No damage with them.)

I shoot a Thompson Center Dimension platform, using 5 different barrels/calibers, one being the 204 Ruger. Being new to the 204, I bought several 32 grainers, the 39g Sierra and the 40g Hornady, and started using various Hodgdon powders I had on hand. I couldn't find steady 1/4" groups until I happen to pick up a box of 35g Bergers and a bottle of RL10x. THE GROUPS SHRUNK BIG TIME...from +/- 1/2"-1" to 1/4"-1/2".

I'm now shooting nothing but the 35g Berger, pushed with 25.0g of RL10x. Most groups are under .2000", me being the biggest factor in group size.

I'm not a big woodchuck shooter, but I got one on the way to my shooting bench one day. I was working on the 243 barrel (it also shoots 1/4" groups) that day...dead woodchuck (not 204 Ruger dead), but dead none the less.

The combo of the 35g Berger/RL10x works so well, I sold all the other 204 bullets and stocked up on the Bergers.

Last edited:
I shoot a Thompson Center Dimension platform, using 5 different barrels/calibers, one being the 204 Ruger. Being new to the 204, I bought several 32 grainers, the 39g Sierra and the 40g Hornady, and started using various Hodgdon powders I had on hand. I couldn't find steady 1/4" groups until I happen to pick up a box of 35g Bergers and a bottle of RL10x. THE GROUPS SHRUNK BIG TIME...from +/- 1/2"-1" to 1/4"-1/2".

I'm now shooting nothing but the 35g Berger, pushed with 25.0g of RL10x. Most groups are under .2000", me being the biggest factor in group size.

I'm not a big woodchuck shooter, but I got one on the way to my shooting bench one day. I was working on the 243 barrel (it also shoots 1/4" groups) that day...dead woodchuck, non the less.

The combo of the 35g Berger/RL10x works so well, I sold all the other 204 bullets and stocked up on the Bergers.
That's a great round,I use HSM factory in the 35 Berger Maximum Velocity Flat base, never leaves a coyote anywhere but DRT.3829 fps ,with bc of 0.179 can buck a little wind also.I also shoot a Thompson center venture, and it is definitely a shooter,handles any bullet weight well,a rarity nowadays.1 in 10 twist.

It is interesting how the factory loaded ammo has advanced in the last few years . New powders , bullets and tighter tolerances in manufacturing all add up to better offerings then we have ever had before . It was at one time if we bought a rifle ran some factory ammo and got an inch and a half group at 100 yards we thought we had some thing . Now we buy a rifle and some ammo go out and if we don't get a half inch group at 100 yards we think some thing is wrong with us our rifle or maybe the ammo combination . I'm sure not complaining just amazed with it all .

It is interesting how the factory loaded ammo has advanced in the last few years . New powders , bullets and tighter tolerances in manufacturing all add up to better offerings then we have ever had before . It was at one time if we bought a rifle ran some factory ammo and got an inch and a half group at 100 yards we thought we had some thing . Now we buy a rifle and some ammo go out and if we don't get a half inch group at 100 yards we think some thing is wrong with us our rifle or maybe the ammo combination . I'm sure not complaining just amazed with it all .
My go to round in Ohio out to 300 yards. Nothing has ever not been drt with it, it's a screamer at 4400 fps.In my rifle at 300 yards 3.2 drop, coyote groundhog all DRT,not even a tail twitch.

Attachments

• 204.jpg
    204.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 115
  • 2041.jpg
    2041.jpg
    432.6 KB · Views: 110
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts