2022 Winter Nilgai Hunt

I went to the King Ranch for nilgai in February of this year. My party had three hunters, and we took five nilgai (three bulls, two cows) in one day. I shot two with a 300 RUM loaded with drilled 220-grain SMKs, both at 200-yard range. Both animals dropped where they stood and never moved. I shot my bull through the center of the front shoulders (as my guide asked). The bullet exited with a substantial exit wound. My friend had the same experience shooting a 175-grain Sierra GameKing bullet from a 7mm Rem. Mag. Shot through the shoulders, dropped right there. His son had more trouble with a smaller, slower caliber and bad shot placement, but recovered his animal with no trouble. My friend and I felt our loads were more than enough for nilgai. Their vitals are lower and farther forward (between the front legs, heart way down low) than an American deer. Their skin is rubbery, like shooting through a bicycle tire. Nothing magic.

In my caliber of choice (338SS) I have the following bullets to choose from.
Barnes TTSX 225gr
Barnes LRX 280gr
Hammer Hunter 260gr

Assuming similar energy numbers, which would you choose?
280 LRX - G1 0.667 (G7 0.331) 1.86" 1:10 twist
225 TTSX - G1 0.514 (G7 0.253)
260 (262) HH - G7 0.325 1.803" 1:10 twist

The big 280 LRX has the BC edge, but gonna be a bit slower than the 260 HH. Based on terminal reliability and the velocity potential of these three choices, I'd go with the HH if it was me. Your choice though. 🤠

I know for a fact that one of the leases on the King Ranch, they offer you a ranch rifle for nilgai. Its a 300 WM.

I know for a fact that one of the leases on the King Ranch, they offer you a ranch rifle for nilgai. Its a 300 WM.
I am doing a 1 day hunt and don't want my familiarity with the weapon to be an issue. I was going to take a 7SS, but everyone kept saying I needed bigger, so I ordered a 338SS barrel and will use the same action and brass. Just got the barrel in and will be taking it to the range this weekend to see what my velocities are like. Starting with the TTSX 225, but thinking I will pivot to the HH for my final load.

I am doing a 1 day hunt and don't want my familiarity with the weapon to be an issue. I was going to take a 7SS, but everyone kept saying I needed bigger, so I ordered a 338SS barrel and will use the same action and brass. Just got the barrel in and will be taking it to the range this weekend to see what my velocities are like. Starting with the TTSX 225, but thinking I will pivot to the HH for my final load.
My point was that you don't need more than a 300wm, I was not suggesting to use a camp rifle

I'd worry much more about shooting within my abilities than the caliber, especially with that heavy of a bullet. These animals are not tanks. They're elk with rubbery skin and relocated innards. Judging from the animals we butchered, a well-built150-grain bullet would suffice, at least if you're shooting within your abilities at 300 yards or less. Just know where to aim and be confident you'll hit your point of aim. The rest will take care of itself.

A friend and I shot a couple the other night with thermals. Regular old 30-06 with 180 grain Barnes TTSX and suppressor. I took a cow for the meat since I've already shot a monster bull. My friend shot a monster bull that is probably pushing 600 pounds and had 10 1/2" horns. That's like shooting a 200" free range whitetail, although you wouldn't think so from reading the exaggerated things on some of the websites 😂

tempImage4AUFZE.pngtempImagepRya0y.pngtempImage4D6tu3.png

A friend and I shot a couple the other night with thermals. Regular old 30-06 with 180 grain Barnes TTSX and suppressor. I took a cow for the meat since I've already shot a monster bull. My friend shot a monster bull that is probably pushing 600 pounds and had 10 1/2" horns. That's like shooting a 200" free range whitetail, although you wouldn't think so from reading the exaggerated things on some of the websites 😂

View attachment 378864View attachment 378865View attachment 378866
Nice job! I'd love to get a cow. Only interested in meat hunts these days.

View attachment 378864View attachment 378865View attachment 378866
Let me know when I will head your way…lol jk. That looks like a great night congrats on those good looking Nilgai. One of these days I will get down there to get one.

Guys I.m going on my first Texas Nilgai hunt. My guide service is unimpressed with my 300Wm. What caliber should I take? I was told cows top out at around 500lbs and shots are under 300yds.
I could use your input please

Perhaps I missed it but how'd it go?