2016, good season!

Guy M

Started with bear in September, Washington State. One shot from sitting at 325 yards:

Headed to Wyoming in October. Antelope at 245 yards, one shot:

And a 4x5 mule deer at 140 yards:

Finished up with a cow elk in Washington at 338 yards:

It was a good season, I can't remember ever dropping four big game animals in one season.

All with the .30-06 Rem 700 CDL, 2-7x Redfield (old) and handloaded 165 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips at about 2900 fps.

I'm pleased, and thankful. What a wonderful season! Hunted with some great people. Met some new friends. Enjoyed seeing a fair chunk of the northwest; Washington, Idaho, Montana and Wyoming. Camped in Yellowstone for a couple of days.

Hunted pheasant too. Going to do more of that now that I've taken the elk.

Also called in a black bear, using my mouth-blown predator call, to about 20 yards, but didn't shoot him. He was a little smaller than I wanted, and he didn't push the issue, so the .30-30 Glenfield didn't bark.

And prowled the hills for mule deer with my bow, but no luck there.

Yup, a good season indeed, and I'm thankful.

If I have anything to pass on, in the way of advice:

Don't put off your hunts, you're not likely to get stronger as you age.

Hunt in areas with good wildlife populations.

Hunt hard, scout ahead of time. Spend time glassing. Watch. Get out and hike. HUNT!

Know your rifle. Well. Practice so that you can shoot it well in field conditions.

Regards, Guy

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.