200 Nosler Accubond vs. a cow elk

good to hear that they are backing up there product like that and are interested in the problem as well. did they ask for you to send the remaining bullets back for there lab to test? I am with you on the 200 s my big .30 loves them too! I hope the get it figured out soon!

[ QUOTE ]
did they ask for you to send the remaining bullets back for there lab to test

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes they did. I think this is a very remote and rare occurance. I am not going to worry about the incident at all because it is way out of the ordinary. From what I hear, the Accubond is a great bullet and I am going to stick with it for now.

Ok quick dumb question, Partion and accubond which damages more meet. Same question with amax vmax vullets. I kinda remeber hearing or reading that when you see plastic tips on bullets that they do more damage. But i thought Partions did more damage then accubounds.

I am all confused now some one please help /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Robins,

In most cases the Accubond vs the Partition will not cause any more/less dammage to meat than the other. If you hit bones with either, youre going to tear up meat. The Nosler Ballistic tip will tear up more meat than the Accubond however. The AMAX will tear up meat more whether or not you hit bone, but God help you if you hit bone with the AMAX (excluding ribs.)

Clear as mud??

I too am glad Nosler will be looking into this problem. Like I said, it seems as if the AB's were acting like BT's. Thats not good. I too will not be giving up on that bullet as it already has done good for me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I think you would have been better served with a Wildcat or TSX bullet and aim to disrupt the CNS. Personally, I've had perfect satisfaction from the 200 AB in my 300 RUM but it's these scenarios that still give me mixed emotions on the full reliability of the AB bullet.

One more recent AB testimony.
I shot a large cow bison last week at 150 yds with Rem 7 mag. 160 gr. Federal factory ammo. Sort of a large entrance (silver dollar sized+) as it hit some rib, centerpunched the heart and evidently still in one piece on the far side catching a bit more rib before completely shattering the far leg.
She didn't last long and when she fell, she fell dead. The entrance and exit wounds through the ribs were similar in size.
For whatever its worth.
Seemed good enough for me to try again as most groups were an inch or under at 100. The last 15-18 under an inch and a half (I was tuning my BOSS).

JeffersonV:

Your experience seems more typical. One case like mine is far from conclusive. A lot of strange things can happen when dealing with terminal ballistics. I only posted about this incident because it is so odd.

[ QUOTE ]
I think you would have been better served with a Wildcat or TSX bullet and aim to disrupt the CNS.

[/ QUOTE ]
I am one of those boiler room type of guys. I learned about head/neck shots the hard way.

Ankeny
I think you're right. Alot going on in a very short time with ol' Murphy ever on the prowl.
Like you, I like the boiler room shot, especially for meat, as it bleeds out good.
If it absolutely positively has to be anchored on the spot that's another story.
Hope you get the performance you are after, however you get it.

Yeah, I think it's pretty clear here that was a bogus batch of bullets. If the bonding was bad and if a tip had fallen off leaving a huge, gaping hollow point those things would have to be hand grenades.

On the other hand, as much as I love them, the AccuBonds (even the ones that are OK) aren't perfect. I'm really looking forward to getting some bonded 240's from Richard--they should penetrate like no AccuBond can and offer a BC in a different zipcode from any TSX's. They may be a lot closer to perfect for sub 600 shots on big critters....

Just a quick note.
I loaded some 150 Accubonds in my Rem.'06 this year, the bullets were "key holing" at 100yrds. This has never happened with any other bullet that I have tried through this gun in the last 8 yrs.

The rifle shoots the 150 Nosler Bal.Tips with in 1/2" groups at 100.
So next year it will be a Barnes "x" from now on (if they shoot good that is).

New guy here but with some thoughts on bullet performance.

1. Your bullets expanded all there energy inside the Elk. That is a good thing

2. the Elk was a big Cow per your post. large mass, large bone structure and yet we are amazed on how much kenitec energy that was absorbed.

3. The bullet did the job and given time for the elk to expire it would have based on your description.

Congrats on your hunt.

Very interesting posts on the AB. I don't think these incidents are as isolated as we might think. I have had some personal experience and have friends that have as well. Inconsistent performance and results from bullets fragmenting at higher velocities to not expanding at lower velocities. I would like to comment on some of the observations made as a bullet maker and tester of bullets. First of all I agree that AB's are usually very accurate. One disagreement is that the tips falling out and forming hollow points cause them to come apart quicker. I have found the opposite to be true. A ballistic tip (which is inserted into a hollow pt.) well act as a wedge to start expansion and be far more predictable. (2) AB's use a HARDENED lead core which is not as malable as pure lead and FRAGMENTS easier. (3) If AB's do indeed have a soldered core, soldering is not near as reliable as chemical bonding. I too have always liked nosler bullets but the AB's have some issues. They have a higher B.C. and are usually more accurate than a partiton but the partition gives more predictable and better terminal performance in most cases. I'm sure I'll catch some flak, but this is what I've experienced:D:D

I'm a little surprised to see so much flak on the AB. I must say I've had nothing but good luck...

Animal #1: Muley buck 438 yds. 1st 200AB through the boilerroom. Rolled him over. He was still kicking and I was afraid he'd roll off a ledge, so I anchored him with a second shot. Both shots passed through and did so much damage I decided the 300WM was overkill on deer at that range.

Animal #2: Bull elk 638 yds. Total of 5 shots though him with 200AB out of a 300WM, 4 through the lungs/liver. I was firing fast as he did not react to the first couple shots and I was frantic he would bolt back over a ridge and complicate recovery. In truth the first shot would have been enough, all pass thru's with plenty of damage. A little less than the muley but it was 200+ yds further.

Animal #3: Whitetail buck 200 yds. NOT ME SHOOTING. Guy Texas Heart Shot him with my gun (I would have passed on that one but he went 160+ so this guy didn't), one 200AB up the tailpipe didn't stop until in the lungs. I was not there when they opened him, but the guy said he had never seen a deer so destroyed inside.

Animal #4: Whitetail buck 280 yds. DRT, plenty of damage, 200AB 300WM.

Animal #5: Antelope, 300yds. DRT, pass thru with plenty of collateral damage.

Animal #6: Muley buck, 550 yds. My buddy shot him first with a 180AB 300WM. Bullet hit in the crease but the buck hopped twice and stopped. Running would have complicated recovery so I hit him 2 seconds later with a 200AB from 300WM. Sharp quartering angle, so went through lungs and out the base of neck on far side. Anchored him. Both pass-thrus, damage enough to ruin the shoulder they hit.

I don't doubt anyone else's experience but I have not seen anything myself to make me switch.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.