180 Grain Hornady SST

deergrunt

Question for the group: I shot a deer using a 180 grain Hornady SST out of my 30/06. I was putting on drive for my father. The deer was bedded down about 50 yard from my position when she stood and faced me. She was standing in high brush and I could only see her neck and head. I centered the cross hairs on her neck and pulled the trigger. The deer went down dead. When I walked up to the downed deer I saw a huge hole in the neck. The entrance hole was as big as the exit hole, the size of my fist! My question is, "What would cause the entrance hole to be so big?"
confused.gif

deergrunt-- If you were hunting in a brushy area, as you said, the bullet probably hit a small twig before it hit the deer. I shot a small buck once with a .243/100 gr CoreLoct and had the same preformance you describe. I hit a small twig about 3 feet in front of the deer.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.