.17HMR max range

At 300 yards the 17 HMR with 17gr bullet has roughly 30 lbs of energy left and moving at 800 fps, that's pretty close to an air rifle at that point. Those prairie dogs must have had a heart condition. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[ QUOTE ]
At 300 yards the 17 HMR with 17gr bullet has roughly 30 lbs of energy left and moving at 800 fps, that's pretty close to an air rifle at that point. Those prairie dogs must have had a heart condition. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I've hit a couple muskrats out on the ice with the .17HMR around 350-375yds.

Tip of that point is 416yds ranged with my Swaro.

This is looking through my *** simmons spotting scope.

DSCI0522.jpg

We got back from an Indian reservation in Montana 2 weeks ago.

My friend brought only a 17HMR, and so the Indian guide loaded him his .223.

The guide had a range finder, and my friend did get a prairie dog a 234 yards with the 17HMR, but that was with so much elevation, that it would be a long time before he could do that again.

I was able to make consistent hits on little sage rats which are about half the size of a pdog at 225 yards with my savage sporter barreled 17 HMR/17g VMAX. Much further then that, I brought out the .222 for more consistent hits and kills..

Hi there- iv mapped mine to 270 using Federal V'Shock- beyond that id use CCI F.M.J as theres not enough velocity to significantly expand.

Iv carried out expansion tests and know this is fact.

Id say windless conditions- perfect day, long barrel, bi-pod and a very experienced shooter who can key hole @ 100 may be able to achieve kill zone size groups at 325-350 yards.

Id say stick to 275 as thats still hek of a range for such a low weight and relatively slow round

James

I would say its a good 225-250 yard squirrel getter. I've popped quite a few in that range w/ no wind. After that, it gets a bit tricky!!

I would think about 250yrds

Energy is down to 100 ft/lbs @ 250 yrds.

Velocity is just over 1600 ft/sec

And drop is 13+ inches with a 100 yrd zero.

And with a 10mph cross wind ,drift is almost 13 inches.

This would still be enough to kill very small game "IF" you can hit them.

But as someone said it is a surprising little round and a hell of a lot of fun.

J E CUSTOM

I use mine for groundhogs and maxed out at a lasered 168 kill. It was a big hog and took 4 hits to the shoulder/ribcage before expiring. I found two of the red poly tips about 3 feet on the far side of the hog laying in the dirt. Only pinholes on the hog.

Out to 125 I've had very consistent DRT kills with hits on the front half of the animal. For me, I'm done at 125 on groundhogs and fox which are my primary target with this rifle.

It is an absolute blast to shoot though and a GREAT training tool for LRH.

Gene

Anybody know what they're bullet drop was like at about 330 yards?? I did some shooting today and I needed 20.5moa with a 100 yard zero...almost 70" bullet drop! not exactly matching up with the ballistic charts I was finding, which might mean that it has a lot less energy than I think it does at that range......has anyone else shot and measured their comeups at this range?? course maybe I'm doing something wrong..

Last edited:
I have nailed a few ground squirrels out to 290 yards (lasered) but at that range it doesn't have much pop left. I have fired a few into dry newspaper at 100 yards and they hardly expanded, the tip pushed back into the lead core, but there was no real expansion. I have also shot beer bottles at 250 yards, I get 9 out of 10 on the bottle, but the bottle will not break...just gets chips taken out of it.

just to verify, i went out to shoot again, and with a 100 yard zero i needed 5 moa elevation at 200 yards and at 330 yards between 19.5 and 20.5 moa depending on the temp and baro pressure (weather was changing while I was shooting)
with that info, BC at .123 and my MV measured avergage 2600 fps ( It's possible the chrony was reading fast) the trajectory doesn't match up with my software or the published charts.

to match my trajectory and actual bullet drop from 25 yards to 330 yards I need to input MV of 2500fps, bc .106, scope height of 1.8"

first day shooting:
temp 60F
Baro 30.13
RH 35%

second day shooting:
temp 45F
Baro 29.75
Rh 60%

it still kicks up some dirt at 330 yards but not a whole lot. I would say I'd be confident out to 200 yards shooting a critter. Wind drift and energy beyond that gets a little iffy, more of a shooter problem than anything :D

I shot one of the best groups I have ever shot with my savage 93...I saved the target, but I couldn't find it to post...It was 10 shots , with the outside of the group being .375inch, at 100 yards. When the conditions and my head are just right I usually get 5 shot groups around .3 - .4". I really like the 17, but as with all rimfires the conditions need to be perfect to get really good groups.

I think once you get past 150-175 yards the energy drops off too much for anything bigger than a squirrel. If you want to reach out further than that something like a 22-250 may be a better choice. The ground squirrels we have here get up to about a foot tall and maybe 2 pounds in size, the 17 does not really anchor them very well, but a 22mag with cci tnt's stops them cold.

I have been fooling around with different ammo in my 17HMR when I started testing some Federal 17gr A-Max ammo. On a windless morning I sent 4 consecutive rounds down to the 200 yd target. A nice tight .86" group was on the paper at 1.25" high & right. I made a scope adjustment and fired 3 more rounds. All 3 landed inside the orange dot @ a measured 1.09". I am shocked at how accurate that 17 HMR was at 200 yds.

I shot several groundhogs at 200yds-250yds. Hits were not difficult but crawlers were common. Since wounding animals (even varmints) bothers me I will limit the use of this rifle to 150yds max unless I'm shooting crows.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.