160gr Matrix

This is at 53 grains and about 2900. Getting a little bit of pressure though. This is also 200 yards. .5moa.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 83
Hate that my pictures come out upside or side ways. So I guess the second picture is .5moa and I actually shot several groups at 1 moa or less and 3 at .5. Does that tell you they are good or does that not mean much?

I did not have time today test terminal ballistics. Sure knocked the crap out of the rocks tho. Lol

I was disappointed today that my 6.5 SS chambering will be delayed for a couple of weeks as I wanted to shoot a "Bar" with the Matrix. I decided to pull the 6.5 Sherman out of mothballs and give it a try. I loaded up some worn out brass with Retumbo and BR2's in WW cases. This rifle has over 1500 rounds through it. I had a gusty crosswind around 25 mph and my rest is placed under a large fir tree which causes the cross hairs to move back and forth from the root movement when it's windy. Anyway, now that the excuses are covered, I fired three rounds with the bullets seated just into the lands. The results were rather disappointing (about 1 1/2" group). I tried another group jumping them about .030" with approx. the same results. Hmmmmm? Maybe this rifle doesn't like the 160's, or maybe worse, the barrel is going south? I remembered Cliff shooting his Sherman (posted earlier) with some pretty good results at about .090" off the lands so I thought it was worth a try. I fired away and presto; good looking group. I loaded up three more the same to see if it was an accident and fired again. Same result! I plan on going out again before long with some new brass and try tweaking the load to see if I can improve any. After that is determined, I want to shoot some at distance and maybe run an expansion test. I'll be anxious to see what some of you other guys find out. Here is a pic of the group. I was jumping the bullets between .080-.090". I didn't take a precise measurement......RichDSCF0540.jpg

Thanks for the good info Brent, i just loaded up some rounds with retumbo in my 6.5x284, 5 at 50 grains (fouling shots, cleaned out copper last cleaning), 3 at 51, 51.5, 52, 52.5, and 53 grains seated .264" off the lands, i can seat farther out but .264" off the lands is 20 thou shorter than the MAX oal that i can eject a live round without pulling the bolt. I could seat out to an OAL of 3.397 and be at the lands but 3.153" is the longest i can eject a live round (the rounds i have loaded now are at 3.133 Base to tip.). Hopefully i can make it out to the range either this weekend or next.
Riley

Sounds like your rifle has a very long throat. Is that correct?

3.397 vs 2.606 is .791. So 3/4 of inch difference in our rifles. I dunno I am kind of amazed by this. You could shoot 200 gr vlds out of that bad boy.

I hope your testing goes well. Right now I am planning to mountain shoot Saturday. We are working up some 260 rounds and I want to stretch the 160's out in the 284 at the same time. If I am not memory challenged again I will take a test target of wet newspapers and shoot for expansion. Looking forward to it. gun)

I am sure I missed it some where but what is the bearing surface of the 160? Wondering if there is a chance that we may see higher velocities than we think because of a shorter bearing surface, similar to how the 30 cal 215 vs 210 behave.

Scot E

Taking a 260 out tomorrow. Hoping to have some feedback from that rifle too. I don't have any experience with this rifle so it will be fun. I have only put 20 rounds through it for seasoning and tomorrow is load work up day.

Taking a 260 out tomorrow. Hoping to have some feedback from that rifle too. I don't have any experience with this rifle so it will be fun. I have only put 20 rounds through it for seasoning and tomorrow is load work up day.
Very interested in what data you come up with. Kind of interested in seeing what kind of velocities you get.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts