156 EOL at 3100 FPS

How many gr of N570 to you use for this load? Barrel length? Are you using 215 primers?
Thanks!
In a hunting application a overbore cartridge like the 26N and others will last many years if taken care of properly not used like a high volume .308/.223 cartridge. In my Browning 26N I'm getting 3151 with the 156, 74.5 grains of Retumbo, Nosler brass, 215M primers. 26" barrel and running it suppressed. Now that I have settled on this load probably will be a long time before I need to re-barrel this rifle since it just used for hunting. I have a few others for daily range work and practice. I was shooting 140's but the when the 156 came out it, it was a easy decision for this cartridge.

If your going to reload you will have to buy dies anyway. Do a Sherman long or max. You can get excellent brass and fire forming is only one more step.

As far as I know i can make 264 brass from 7rm, which easily avaible here. Am I right?
Yes, and that's a great way to go. I made 7 STW brass from 8 Rem Mag brass during the brass shortage a few years back, which got me through the lean times.
I think you just answered your question on which cartridge will be best for you.

I dont know about years with the 26N. I know a guy who went through 2 barrels on a 26N first one made it 200 rounds second one he babied it and made it 400 rounds. I trust this guy he knows what hes doing. Needless to say he sold his reamer and dies.
The 264WM would be my first choice between the 2.

In a hunting application a overbore cartridge like the 26N and others will last many years if taken care of properly not used like a high volume .308/.223 cartridge. In my Browning 26N I'm getting 3151 with the 156, 74.5 grains of Retumbo, Nosler brass, 215M primers. 26" barrel and running it suppressed. Now that I have settled on this load probably will be a long time before I need to re-barrel this rifle since it just used for hunting. I have a few others for daily range work and practice. I was shooting 140's but the when the 156 came out it, it was a easy decision for this cartridge.

My 26N is my "go to" large game long range hunting caliber. There is only one animal I had to shoot a second time and that was a large waterbuck it only went about 150 yards from the first shot and the barrel had a few minutes to cool down before the second shot.

I never shoot the 26N in high volume -- not only bad for the barrel but a good way to vaporize lots of $$$.

I've not tried the 156 yet, but am anxious to do so. I shoot Nosler 142 gr ABLR and Berger 140 gr VLD Hunting. Tried Barnes TTSX though could not get the excellent groups like the Nosler and Berger.

Hi guys!
First post here, but I've been reading for a long time. Sooo...
Looking for new light weight rifle with decent long range capabilities. As always It starts with cartridge choice. I have decided that I will try some bigger 6.5s. After math in my ballistic calculator, I have noticed that new 156 EOL at 3100 fps, can beat 215 hybrid at 3000fps and even 195 EOL at 2800 with much lower recoil. Of course by beating I mean drop and drift. Which cartridge will gives me 3100 ? 6.5PRC looks bit weak for that. I would prefer to stay away from super overbored 26 nosler and 6.5 - 300 wby. My current favorite is 264WM. Is this possible ?
Other choices ? No wildcats :(

Second question. How does new EOL keep on close range impacts? Currently Im 185 vld in my 06, they hold up really well, but MV is 2820 fps ...
best regards
I can't speak to 6.5s other than the PRC. I'm easily getting 3040fps verified shooting long range from my 6.5 PRC with the 156 EOL and H1000 out of a 26in Proof Carbon. You might gain some with RL26, but it's hit and miss finding the stuff.

I think the SAUM might have a little more head room than a PRC or the Norma. The big mags like the 26 Nosler or .264 Win will easily reach 3100fps.

I'm at 3020 with a 6.5-284 Norma with RL26 and Lapua brass. No pressure signs and haven't pushed it hard at all. I've only got 65 down barrel and imagine when it speeds up I'll be around 3050-60. If accuracy holds in there, I'll leave it. I did find a node at 3070-3080 but settled on lower node. 264wm or 6.5rpm will probably be the way to go unless you want to load down for the 26 Nosler, which I did. 3075fps with nosler brass and N570

I'm not qualified to give much of an opinion being I haven't shot many 6.5's but Mcwhorter's version of the weatherby 257 opened up to 6.5 has always been interesting to me

Tell me more about xbolt in 26 ... I know it has nice 7 inch twist needed for 156. What about throat and mag? Is it long enough? I know that x bolt in 28N is too short to use 195 :( What about accuracy? Going with x bolt instead of custom would save me lot od money;)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.