150 Ballistic tips for bear?

I guess it depends on what type of bear. Black Bear I personally wouldn't think twice about it. Especially at 308 win velocity. 200 yards and under I would personally hold for the shoulder but that's me. I've shot a few Black bear and 2 of them were with 130 grain 270 wins. The one was 300 yards with a 130gr. Remington bronze point. And it only went 30 yards running and tumbling across the field. Just my opinion. Take it for what it's worth.

I have shot five black bears with a .308. I did have an issue with a cup and core bullet on a frontal shot. Bear left zero blood but I heard the death bellow. Could not find him before sunset. Returned the next morning and starting sectioning the area. About four hours later I practically tripped over him. A lot of folks like to think black bears are like whitetails, but they have a lot more muscle mass in the front of their chests. Personally, I would use a different bullet.

I have shot five black bears with a .308. I did have an issue with a cup and core bullet on a frontal shot. Bear left zero blood but I heard the death bellow. Could not find him before sunset. Returned the next morning and starting sectioning the area. About four hours later I practically tripped over him. A lot of folks like to think black bears are like whitetails, but they have a lot more muscle mass in the front of their chests. Personally, I would use a different bullet.
Or a heavier cup and core maybe…the 180 ballistic tip even, it's not just heavier, it's jacket is much stouter than the lighter .30 cal btip.

What cup and core did you have an issue with if you don't mind sharing?

Or a heavier cup and core maybe…the 180 ballistic tip even, it's not just heavier, it's jacket is much stouter than the lighter .30 cal btip.

What cup and core did you have an issue with if you don't mind sharing?
I don't recall - it was a long time ago. I did shoot 180 BTs in that rifle but don't think I used them on black bears. Shot four red stag in Scotland with 180 BTs without issue. Shot two others with a 120 BT (IIRC) out of a 25-06. Shot a ton of plains game in Namibia with a 150 BT 7mm bullet. The bullet got a bad reputation for blowing up when it first came out but now tipped bullets are probably more common than lead tips.