1410 yard cow elk

SNIP
The trace that evening was something to behold !! The sun was close to the horizon and about 75 to 80* angle to the shot and the trace was as crisp as I've ever seen. It looked like a huge corrugated pipe arcing down on the Elk with one difference, I could see the Bullet out in front of the trace !!! It looked like a 2 foot long bright gold arrow with the trace tapering back from it !! I could watch it go right into the Elk and see the hair lift !! Then the trace would follow it right in. I'll probably never see the bullet do that again in my life !!!

SNIP

Not to hijack, but that description sounds awesome, can you describe the situation a bit more?

Were you on the side of GG toward the Sun, (meaning Sun left, you middle, GG right) so that you were looking away from the Sun at the side of the Trace?

OR

Were you on the side of GG away from the Sun, (meaning Sun left, GG middle, you right) so that you were looking through the trace toward the Sun?

Thanks, edge.

Congradulations Jim,

Im gald you got one and at a new personal best that is cool. I never made it down to that spot this year we have been chasing them around closer to home but it is nice to know they are still there. The last time i was there was with you a few years ago. good write up and good luck this year.

Clint

Edge, since Grouper is a lefty, I was set up 10- 12 feet back and 2-3 feet off his left shoulder towards the Sun giving me a slight angle on the trace. Normally I wouldn't be that far off the shoulder but there were two herds off Elk and the ones we originally set up for took their sweet time coming in ,so Grouper repositioned the gun a bit to the left for the herd that was coming in quicker. This gave me more angle on the trace which turned out to be a good thing for me this time !!

If I set up any closer than 10ft the muzzle blast seems to jolt me off the spotter for an instant even though I know the shot is coming. LOL

Wow, what a story and fotos. It even tops the 946 you posted last year. Congrats in the biggest way, there's no doubt that here you are the best. What an inspiration!!! You remain our raison d'etre.

Congrats GG!! What an adventure. Very enjoyable to read. As mentioned by others you go the extra mile to take the time to get the pictures you do and the details you provide. That's something special, considering where that elk was and the amount of work you guys had to do. Once again, congrats and thanks.

Cheers,

Chris

Great shot, great story, great pictures, beautiful country

We have some rigs running up in Utah that i might have to go straighten out for a two week period. With country like that it sure will make it a lot easier to spend two weeks away from home. I just wish I could spend two weeks in that country hunting elk with good friends and family and have my own story to share.

I am trying to talk them into letting me drive if I have to go so I can take a few of my rifles and get a bit of long range shooting practice in the higher altitude. Well, that's just my excuse for being to chicken to get on a plane.

Thank you all. You are all too kind. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

For those of you who have asked what my gun is, here's the specs:

Blueprinted Rem 700 w/ sako extractor, tubbs firing pin kit with spring, jewell trigger with safety,Badger ordinance bolt knob
Rock creek barrel wrapped by ABS carbon fiber industries w/ Mike D titanium brake
Mcmillan HTG stock fully glassed and pillared
Leupold 6.5-20x40 LR fitted with LRT elevation turret
Sinclair bubble level
ACI device
Burris Sig series rings with 20 MOA inserts

Great shot, great story, great pictures, beautiful country

We have some rigs running up in Utah that i might have to go straighten out for a two week period. With country like that it sure will make it a lot easier to spend two weeks away from home. I just wish I could spend two weeks in that country hunting elk with good friends and family and have my own story to share.

I am trying to talk them into letting me drive if I have to go so I can take a few of my rifles and get a bit of long range shooting practice in the higher altitude. Well, that's just my excuse for being to chicken to get on a plane.

Mikebob,
What area of Utah are you coming to? I could help you find some long range shooting ranges if you'd like.

Excellent read,

I've killed a lot of late season elk and I'm still trying to figure out how that cow took 4 hits of 1,200 grains of lead like she did.

Mikebob,
What area of Utah are you coming to? I could help you find some long range shooting ranges if you'd like.

Not really sure I think some are around Vernel, but I am told they run from Vernel to Casper wyoming, so not sure yet where I will be going to stay.

I am not surprised the cow just stood there. Even if the shot had been a LOT closer, the sound is so far off that I do not think they know what is going on. I watched my bull this year eat 4 200ABs in the boilerroom from my 300WM at 683 yards without so much as a flinch. It really shakes your confidence when you can't definitively spot the impacts and they just stand there like you missed by a mile...but I trusted my calculations and just kept feeding the chamber until he went down.

This thread reminds me of one a couple years back. Unless I am mistaken it was a bedded cow that GG had someone shoot with his gun at a pretty long poke (was it 1200 or so? I can't remember). The first two impacts were in the guts before they walked them into the vitals. I was just getting set up for long range at that point, and given those results with GG's obvious talent, experience, and equipment, I questioned how far I should really be practicing to shoot big game. I came to the decision on 800 yards for my setup, and have felt comfortable with that decision. My reasoning is that I will never have the opportunity for enough long range practice nor the equipment of GG, therefore I will never have his skills. And if he was experiencing that degree of difficulty with first-round hits I was not going to approach the ranges he was trying.

Now we have a couple more reports over the past 2 years, GG you are still pushing the range out even though you're not putting the first round (or rounds) where you intend them. This year you'd already missed one animal multiple times at that range, then missed another before you finally connected. It's not that occasional mistakes are happening as can happen to everybody, but doing so either with yourself or someone else behind the trigger of your gun consistently.

This is not a long range issue, I'd be saying this to someone who shot with similar results at 100 yards. I like LRH as much as anyone and enjoy all the reports here where people do their homework and put the first round where it counts 90%+ of the time. Elk are not rock chucks, perhaps you should stick to rock chucks at those ranges until your first-round reliability increases out there. I'm not going to say you should follow my self-imposed limit as obviously you and your equipment should be able to get equivalent results further, but while I admire your skill and obvious preparation I'm not so impressed with the results. There should be a difference between punching steel or rock chucks and an elk.

Yeah I'm sure this will make me real popular...it's a legitimate observation however so before some of you leap in realize I'm quite comfortable with it and don't give a hoot about the "you'll never be GG" and whatever other crap you want to throw at me. I have communicated my appreciation for the help many of you have given me over the years ad nauseum (and I thank GG for helping me decide on a range limit before I had to learn the hard way) but that does not mean anything goes.

I am not surprised the cow just stood there. Even if the shot had been a LOT closer, the sound is so far off that I do not think they know what is going on. I watched my bull this year eat 4 200ABs in the boilerroom from my 300WM at 683 yards without so much as a flinch. It really shakes your confidence when you can't definitively spot the impacts and they just stand there like you missed by a mile...but I trusted my calculations and just kept feeding the chamber until he went down.

This thread reminds me of one a couple years back. Unless I am mistaken it was a bedded cow that GG had someone shoot with his gun at a pretty long poke (was it 1200 or so? I can't remember). The first two impacts were in the guts before they walked them into the vitals. I was just getting set up for long range at that point, and given those results with GG's obvious talent, experience, and equipment, I questioned how far I should really be practicing to shoot big game. I came to the decision on 800 yards for my setup, and have felt comfortable with that decision. My reasoning is that I will never have the opportunity for enough long range practice nor the equipment of GG, therefore I will never have his skills. And if he was experiencing that degree of difficulty with first-round hits I was not going to approach the ranges he was trying.

Now we have a couple more reports over the past 2 years, GG you are still pushing the range out even though you're not putting the first round (or rounds) where you intend them. This year you'd already missed one animal multiple times at that range, then missed another before you finally connected. It's not that occasional mistakes are happening as can happen to everybody, but doing so either with yourself or someone else behind the trigger of your gun consistently.

This is not a long range issue, I'd be saying this to someone who shot with similar results at 100 yards. I like LRH as much as anyone and enjoy all the reports here where people do their homework and put the first round where it counts 90%+ of the time. Elk are not rock chucks, perhaps you should stick to rock chucks at those ranges until your first-round reliability increases out there. I'm not going to say you should follow my self-imposed limit as obviously you and your equipment should be able to get equivalent results further, but while I admire your skill and obvious preparation I'm not so impressed with the results. There should be a difference between punching steel or rock chucks and an elk.

Yeah I'm sure this will make me real popular...it's a legitimate observation however so before some of you leap in realize I'm quite comfortable with it and don't give a hoot about the "you'll never be GG" and whatever other crap you want to throw at me. I have communicated my appreciation for the help many of you have given me over the years ad nauseum (and I thank GG for helping me decide on a range limit before I had to learn the hard way) but that does not mean anything goes.

Although he did miss with the first (sighter) shot I do believe all his connection hits were in the vital zone less than 6" apart, can't beat that at any distance. I wish I could have sighter shots sometimes but here in the flat lands just not possible.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.