124 HH vs 156 eol

Bkmuschalek78

Does anyone have any real life experience between these 2 bullets. I'm looking to load in my 20" 6.5 prc rifle for deer hunting. Most shots will be inside 500 yards. Inside 300 yards most shots will be head and neck shots but iver that will be shoulder shots. I am hunting larger whitetail in south texas.

I've killed a few whitetails with the 124 hammer hunter, also a couple caribou. Performance has been excellent. I'm not a fan of headshots on game, put the hammer hunter in the lungs and you will have a dead deer every time.

HH bullets crush game. Maybe go even lighter than 124. figure most shots will be to feeder or down sendero to 300 or so. I shot 101 HH out of a 7mm08 last year in s texas at 3000 fps and dumped every one I shot on the spot. Hammer bullets uploaded one video of a buck at 150 yards on their rumble page.
BC suffers, but velocity is king close up if the bullet holds up and the hammers certainly do that.
SnT

How was the entrance and exit at close range? I have shot deer up close with bergers and had massive exit holes and others that completely blew up inside.

No exit here. Pinhole entrance. 3 impacts from petals in offside ribs. 1 through offside rib stayed inside hide. Lungsoup. Video os wcidence of efficacy. 7 other deer went the same way. All others inside 120 yards. All exits 1/4" size. Some with additional petal exits. One had a peral exit 12" from main exit.
Snt

No exit here. Pinhole entrance. 3 impacts from petals in offside ribs. 1 through offside rib stayed inside hide. Lungsoup. Video os wcidence of efficacy. 7 other deer went the same way. All others inside 120 yards. All exits 1/4" size. Some with additional petal exits. One had a peral exit 12" from main exit.
Snt

That's a he'll of a blast there. That was a shot with the 101? I'm liking what I've heard about them. I've just been a berger guy out to 1200 yards. I've always been on a 24"+ length barrel except my 308 shooting berger 168. I'm just worried the 156 eol is gonna let me down in the 20" barrel at a 2700 fps round. I emailed the owner at hammer to see what he has to say. I have an over abundance of Pigs coming in right now that I'm gonna make loads for both bullets and try them out and see how they do.

That's a he'll of a blast there. That was a shot with the 101? I'm liking what I've heard about them. I've just been a berger guy out to 1200 yards. I've always been on a 24"+ length barrel except my 308 shooting berger 168. I'm just worried the 156 eol is gonna let me down in the 20" barrel at a 2700 fps round. I emailed the owner at hammer to see what he has to say. I have an over abundance of Pigs coming in right now that I'm gonna make loads for both bullets and try them out and see how they do.
You should easily get more than 2700fps. In my 20" 6.5SS, I am getting 2916 w. H1000. I got 3001 w. N565, but it was a max load, and I didn't feel the juice was worth the squeeze with brass lasting 2-3 firings.

My crew has stacked up about 19 deer, antelope and cow elk with the 124 HH and the 135 Berger out of the Creedmoor and PRC over the past 4 years. I gotta say out to 600 yds I'm switching over to the 124's. There every bit as deadly and I'm not cleaning up such a **** bloodshot mess. Berger's are just really hard on meat. I love the way they fly in the Utah desert and Wyoming winds, but man I won't shoot an antelope with them anymore. Just a disaster. We killed 7 goats with everything from a 115 Berger out of a 25-06 to a 7 mag with168 Accubond LR. The cleanest carcasses were with the Hammers and surprisingly the Accubond LR did great. The closest was 200 yds with a Creedmoor and the 143 ELD-X. It was ugly. They were all stoned dead but as a home butcher for all our hunting animals, man I spent a ton of time cleaning up bloodshot. I'm over it. If there's a 800 yd shot I have to make in a 10 mph crosswind I'll be single feeding a Berger, but short of that, for everything else, we're switching to Hammer's, Terminal Ascent and Accubonds.

I'm shooting the 124 Hammers out of a 20" 6.5 PRC in my backup rifle. Using N560 and a 210M primer, and can EASILY get 3100+FPS. They shot amazing and killed coyotes good. I would have zero issues shooting them on deer out to 500 yards. I just prefer a bigger gun for more deader deers lol. I just switched the PRC back over to lead for cheaper practicing though.

I'm shooting the 124 Hammers out of a 20" 6.5 PRC in my backup rifle. Using N560 and a 210M primer, and can EASILY get 3100+FPS. They shot amazing and killed coyotes good. I would have zero issues shooting them on deer out to 500 yards. I just prefer a bigger gun for more deader deers lol. I just switched the PRC back over to lead for cheaper practicing though.

Why don't you continue to shoot the Hammers as your hunting load and figure up a cast bullet load for practice? That's WAY cheaper and will give you similar practice results. You'll need to decrease your practice range, but it won't matter because the wind and BC effects will be magnified by using a cast bullet. Head over to the cast boolits forum for a wealth of knowledge. I've been a member there since 2013 and how I got started putting a serious number of rounds downrange.

You'll run out of primers before you'll run out of lead to practice with.