123 eld-m on deer, anyone use them?

I dont understand why the Hammers need such a fast twist when there are other bullets out there with higher BC that shoot just fine with most factory twist.

this is what i was going to say. i live in NC. i'm planning to use 123 eld's on deer this fall but it'll be in my grendel which is a 39mm case. i only got a doe last year and she probably didnt weigh but 100 pounds.
Interesting as I am purchasing a Howa mini action in 6.5 Grendel. 20" heavy barrel rifle for just that purpose only for treestand hunting deer. Recoil should be mild and the 123 ELDs moving around 2500 fps should be great whitetail medicine for out to maybe 250-300 yards. I think that bullet should be perfect for deer size animals.

So turning a 6.5x47 into my dedicated deer gun. I am wanting to run a lighter bullet as this is a 21" barrel for running a can. Was thinking at heaviest 130 Berger hybrids but would like to run the 123 eldm for the speed. Just a guess but 350 yds would be pushing it as it's a pretty thick place where I hunt and most shots are 100 yds and in. Anyone used the 123 eldm on deer?
At 350 and in, there won't be a hill of beans difference between a 123 and 130 to notice.

In my 6.5x47, initial load work centered around the 130 VLD. 37.5 grains of Varget at 2820 was the winner. Couple years later, for S&G's, I decide to try the 123 Amax. Accuracy load ended up being the same as the Bergers, but 50 FPS faster due to being 7 grains lighter. However, with the better BC of the Berger, the drops were identical out to 1K.

I'd shoot the one that shot the best, not the fastest......

This is pretty typical eld-m performance. First pic is entry second is exit

Attachments

• 20181002_201950.jpg
    20181002_201950.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 289
  • 20181002_201956.jpg
    20181002_201956.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 295
I dont understand why the Hammers need such a fast twist when there are other bullets out there with higher BC that shoot just fine with most factory twist.
The hammers r longer than most bullets of the same weight! They need a faster twist to stabilize guess its the weightyo lenght ratio. I like them in my hotrod cals. Cause dont half to worry about ripping jackets off and they r really easy to tune.

@pickens72 pretty much nailed it. The pure copper is less dense than lead. So a copper bullet of the same weight and similar form will have to be much longer to have that weight. So in the context of this thread, the 110g Hammer Hunter is physically about the size of the eld-m. Stability is a function of bullet weight x bullet length x and barrel twist. With a few other things in there. Just physics.

Thanks guys, the wt to length ratio is what I was over looking. Only thing I dont like about no lead bullets is that it is hard to find them as heavy. I shoot 143 ELDx out of my CM. Mtn. Accent for back packing in for Mulie and possibly the occasional Elk so like the idea of the heaviest bullet for caliber I can find plus the best BC. I just like the looks of the way no lead bullets perform so thought i would check them out.
Also, as much as like the looks of the Hammers they are spendy! I use mostly KUIU and EXO gear so I realize quality costs but man!

Yea realize now you guys looking for a lighter bullet.