110gr .308 round?

cap06040

I have just recently been told about a 110gr round for .308 and was wondering about it reliability. I am also fairly new to the shooting world but I have a good basic knowledge of the sport.
For such a small bullet projectile it would seem to me that it might not be very stable when pushed through a 1/12 twist. I have been reading and asking around about it because I am looking for something I can use with my .308 and still be able to take coyotes and other smaller game. People have said it was a great round and they love using it but when I go to a store to buy some the dealers say that nobody sells them because they are not a very good round, that they are unstable and don't shoot very well.
Thank you for any response and input anyone may have on the subject.

- C.J. -

The only 110gr i have seen is a hp by Sierra, all I use it for is to fire from my brass. It seemed to group fine at 100y but beyond that i would not know how it fly's.

I've shot the 110 gr Sierra HP out to 200 yards with my Tikka 300 WSM and they shoot MOA. Not a match bullet mind you but I figure they will do a job on prairie dogs.

Tried the 110 a long time ago, didn't get the results i wanted. I have used the Hornady 130 GR sp for 30 years in two different 30-06 rifles both 1-12 twist. Chronograph has them at 3200 for the load I use. When I do my part 1 in ragged holes at 100 yds. Have shot them past 300 yds for groundhogs and yotes , always had good performance.

I have a purpose built 308 with an 17 twist brux barrel that I shoot only the 110 v-max bullets in. H4895 gives me 3450 fps in a 26" barrel. from 100 yard zero it drops 4 moa at 400 yards.

Accuracy is a 100 yard ragged hole. With a mini muscle brake it kiks like a 22 mag, may-be a 22 hornet.

It depends on what you want to do with your rifle. If you want to varmint hunt I would go to the 125 gr Speer TNT. They are very accurate bullets and they really come apart on a groundhog. If you want to hunt game as large as white tail deer the 125 Nosler ballistic tip is the one. Both shoot really accurate and average 3000 fps with 46 grs IMR 4895 and felt recoil is much lighter than with 150 gr bullets. Both shoot into a ragged hole @ 100 yards in my rifle. I have never tried any 110 gr bullets because the 125s shoot so well and do what I want. If you do not handload Nosler loads their 125 ballistic tip in their ammo.

As a wildlife biologist doing deer control work, the 110 gr tap is a fine bullet. All my shots are neck shots, with a few head shots mixed in. The bullet works great for urban areas, as pass throughs are kept to a minimum. Shot out of two different suppressed model 700's we have they are basically one hole guns. I have also shot a 1/2" group at 200 yards out of an Armalite AR 10 with these factory loads. Body shots are a different story. Punch'em in the ribs and you will get them, but if you shoulder shoot one the chance of it getting away is there. I have taken over 500 deer with them and they get the nod from me. Distance wise I have neck shot a few deer in the 250 yard range with them.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.