107 mk's in 8-twist 6br on yotes?

slong

107 mk\'s in 8-twist 6br on yotes?

Hello, can anyone tell me actual experiences on 107 mk's on coyotes? I have an 8-twist 6br that shoots them really well, and I'd like to get some shots at 500-600 yard coyotes this winter, and I've always heard not to use MATCH bullets on meat, but Walt Berger's VLD bullets HIS PAPERS CLAIM produce deadly results on varmints, and it seems like I've read that FAST twist rifles & MK's do produce decent kills, but I'd like to hear from actual users with experience on it.
Thanks, Steve.

Re: 107 mk\'s in 8-twist 6br on yotes?

Steve

I am shooting them out of a 6-284 @ 3500 and they perform excellent on wild hogs. If you are worried about pelt damage i would say dont use them.

d-a

Hi D-A, thanks for the reply, no, I'm not worried about pelts, I just didn't want to be sticking a wire thru them & let 'em run off & suffer.
So the MK's expand well enough for hogs, eh? That's sort of impressive, what size hogs are you shooting?
Steve.

Steve,
I agree and disagree with d-a the 107gr SMK's work awesome out of a 6-284 at 3500fps, but out of a 6br at 500-600 yds they will not expand on a coyote (entry and exit hole the same size) For that range with a 6br try the 105gr Berger the 95gr Berger or if you want to make a mess try the 105gr Amax (blow up on the hide)
UB

uncle b what would the impact velocity be at 5-600 yards with a 6br compared to 750yards with a 6-284? I would imagine that the <font color="red"> 6 br would be faster since it started slower </font> /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The mk did well on hogs from 40 lbs all the way to 225 lbs. from 90 to over 400 yards,

d-a

Hi d-a &amp; uncleb; I'm launching 107's at 2900 by load charts, and ballistics tables say I'm still 2000-ish by 600 yards......and I have a 30" barrell which gives it some more snort......
Uncleb - do you have real experience with this bullet &amp; distance with 6br on game or quoting others experiences?
My rifle shoots all 3 Amax's Mk's &amp; 95 Bergers well, so I don't really care what I use, but MK's are plentiful &amp; inexpensive, so I was hoping they'd work ok on coyotes.
Steve.

I would agree that the 107 gr SMK will shoot great but it will not expand alot at the ranges you want to shoot. It will certainly kill dogs but they will cover some ground after the shot in most cases unless you make a CNS hit or break both shoulders.

The 105 A-Max will offer dramatially better expansion then the SMK 107.

Not saying it will not be successful in the BR at 500-600 yards but there are better bullets for rapid expansion at that range in the 6mm BR. I would echo what Uncle B already correctly stated.

Kirby Allen(50)

Ok, that's 2 votes for keeping the MK's on paper, so that's what I'll do.
I've got plenty of 105 A-max's &amp; 95 berger VLD's so those are what I will use on long-range 'yotes. I also have some 87 Vmax's that are probably heavy enough for those distances, although I've only used those in shorter ranges.
Thanks for all the inputs,
Steve.

Steve' for what it's worth,I use 105 a-max in my BR muzzel vel.2875.they make a nasty hole in rock chucks out to 1000 yards

My vote goes for the a-max. They kill just like a regular ballistic tip in my expierence. My 2cents

I am having a 6x284 built, and I will be shooting the 87grn V-Max. This bullet has pretty good BC for a poly tipped bullet. The BC for the 87grn V-MAX is .400, that's pretty darn good. I will be shooting this bullet at yotes, squirrels and jackrabbits out to 700 to 1000 yards.

My friend has a 6MM Remington, and he uses the 87grn V-Max. He has made some awesome shots with this bullet out to 600 to 800 yards. They are very accurate and they blow up varmints like no other bullet I have ever seen. Take a look at the 87grn V-Max one more time. I don't think you can go wrong, you get a pretty high BC bullet with some very serious explosive power. If you hit a yote with 87grn V-Max, he will drop quick! I will be running the 87grn V-Max out of my 6x284, with a 30" Kriger, at around 3750 to 3800 fps. I can't wait to see this bullet hit squirrels at that speed. It's going to send them flying high, and in many parts. AWESOME!!

Wildcat

[ QUOTE ]
Steve' for what it's worth,I use 105 a-max in my BR muzzel vel.2875.they make a nasty hole in rock chucks out to 1000 yards

[/ QUOTE ]

I am presently trying the Fowler 80 bullets out of my 6BR. what load sre you using for the 105 Amax, I would love to get them to work in my 6BR, I tried 3 or 4 times accuracy was not anything to write home about. the Fowlers will group them tight at 300yds approx 1/2" If all goes well! the 105 Amax is very really the bullet I want to use but! won't group, the 107MK will work but don't want to use them on Varmint, has anyone ever tried the 80 Fowlers on varmint??

thanks
Chet

[ QUOTE ]
Hello, can anyone tell me actual experiences on 107 mk's on coyotes? I have an 8-twist 6br that shoots them really well, and I'd like to get some shots at 500-600 yard coyotes this winter, and I've always heard not to use MATCH bullets on meat, but Walt Berger's VLD bullets HIS PAPERS CLAIM produce deadly results on varmints, and it seems like I've read that FAST twist rifles &amp; MK's do produce decent kills, but I'd like to hear from actual users with experience on it.
Thanks, Steve.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been shooting both the 105 gr. V.L.D. from berger in a .243 with 8 twist hart barrel and the 107 gr. seirra match king in a 6mm ackley with the same barrel both are deadly on yotes if you hit them in the boiler room the melt the bergers are better pelt bullets than the seirras are

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.