Votes: 41 21.1%
  • 60-69%

Votes: 21 10.8%
  • 50-59%

Votes: 15 7.7%
  • Less than 50%

Votes: 33 17.0%

• Total voters
Doubtful any top shooters in the nation would even consider a 6"x8" target to be any kind of challenge at 600 yards(In ideal conditions). Most could set their gun in the front and rear rest, adjust the cross hairs to the target and not even look thru the scope or shoulder the rifle for half those hits on a target that size. This I'm pretty sure of. When many of those same top shooters are shooting <.5 minute groups at 1000 yards with ease, it's not a matter of theory vs practice. Shooting conditions(environmental)are what will cause a failure to most if not all shooters. A 6" steel plate is smaller than a gallon jug and it's pretty easy to ring from 600 yards regularly in calm conditions. I'm far from a one of the " Top Shooters" in the nation but this size steel plate sits out at 600 yards on my range and it's been replaced a couple times from abuse. I will say that many shooters groups don't really constitute a group unless it's 10 shots rather than 3 or 5. Lots of rifles are .25" guns until the group is a 10 shot group. Suddenly the .25" group moves up a bit to the .75-1.0" group.
But that's the point, this is field conditions. Not a bench. If you can shoot an f class rig from a bench on a calm day (or with wind flags every 8 inches) it's not so hard. A hunting weight rifle off a bipod at variable distances, elevations, multiple wind channels with nothing but environment to read by is a different game altogether. This is purely about the shooter being able to read the wind correctly every single time, get correct range every single time, and shoot under 1 moa the whole time.

Something good has come from it, it's made some people rethink their abilities. I know that I couldn't do it even in my prime.

My previous statement on this

I'd say cold to 600yds, it'd be 50%, probably better, but if I was betting, it'd be 50%, wind calls kill me the majority of the time.

But that's the point, this is field conditions. Not a bench. If you can shoot an f class rig from a bench on a calm day (or with wind flags every 8 inches) it's not so hard. A hunting weight rifle off a bipod at variable distances, elevations, multiple wind channels with nothing but environment to read by is a different game altogether. This is purely about the shooter being able to read the wind correctly every single time, get correct range every single time, and shoot under 1 moa the whole time.
Yep I understand those can throw a huge wrench in the outcome. The OP stated the conditions were good slight wind in the video. Those are "Good" conditions. Rarely is there zero wind. Didn't have time to watch the video as I'm loading some ammo as I respond. I'll check it out later tonight.

What I think makes the challenge hard here is the variable from shot to shot.

Shooting x distance at y angle along z terrain and then having to figure out your holds for a new target at alpha distance, beta angle, and charlie terrain without actually getting real DOPE is hard.

The wind changes alone because now you're shooting over a valley which is channeling air differently would add an unknown variable and your first shot it just a best guess.

How many people have DOPE for up and down angles of firing too?

So in this test setup, I think it'd be **** hard to get 100 out of 100.

On a flat range with flags and a single 600 yard target... he'd be giving away a few $1000 bets.

Not with all my hunting rifles but with probably 6 of them I could easily make the 100/100. Beyond 600 tho, I'd be a tough call. Maybe a couple of them I could out to 800 but that's about it. 1000 I could with one of them and at 1200, that'd be close to impossible. We can't control the environmental conditions so this would be the hitch.
Your saying you could go 100 for 100 on a 6x8 inch target in varying conditions and from varying positions? Or you mean in a tunnel? But either way....

Yep I understand those can throw a huge wrench in the outcome. The OP stated the conditions were good slight wind in the video. Those are "Good" conditions. Rarely is there zero wind. Didn't have time to watch the video as I'm loading some ammo as I respond. I'll check it out later tonight.

Fortunately, I live in Wyoming, I shall, should I attempt this challenge welcome the wind. While you shooters see the wind as a unseen nemesis ….. I use the wind as my willing and able assistant!

For my next trick…..I will use a steep, very narrow draw, the shots will be in late evening when the downdraft is at maximum. The target will be placed in the middle of of the mouth of that very narrow aforementioned draw. All I have to do is adjust for range…..the bullets will be forced into the target! 😉 Ezzy Pezzy 😂 memtb

Your saying you could go 100 for 100 on a 6 inch target in varying conditions and from varying positions? Or you mean in a tunnel? But either way....
I haven't seen the video. My response was based on the OPs question in the first post (Hunting rifle off a bipod at 600 yards small wind). I'll watch the video later. Sounds like the video has no resemblance to his initial post.

Last year I was at the range north of Reno and the fellow next to me spotted a target half way up the hill or backstop. he lined up his shot and let one go. His partner on another bench was spotting and told him off target to the left one ft and low off target one ft. Shot number 2 was dead center of the 2 X 2 ft square. I asked the rangemaster how far that target was and he replied 1750 yds. I was highly impressed with that shot. He called his caliber a 6.5 sweedemore or simply a sweede 6.5 If I remember correctly there was very little wind that day but even a slight breeze would have made a difference at that range. I would put money on this guy scoring 100% at 600 yds and under.

This might get you there unless you were using a break. Or if Taco Bell was lunch.
IMG_4554.jpeg