1 person+gear 4 season tent/shelter deciding

For the OP, if still interested in a "4 season" backpack tent… while I have a few of them, my go to for what you described would be the NorTent Bivuakk. It doubles as a tarp as well as a closed tent with a stove-jack. The bonus of the tent is it uses trekking poles as tent poles. It weighs in at 2.18lbs. I have used it in multiple states on multiple hunts in various weather conditions. It has held up in everything from sunny and 90* to 30mph wind and snowing.

I have used it with a stove (Kifaru cylinder Ti stove). I know there is varying opinions on if a stove is worth packing or not… I believe both sides have a legitimate argument. I choose to pack it when I want it and believe the space and extra pound or so is worth the warmth. Is it needed? No. But it is nice to take the chill off, dry clothes shoes and gear. It has been my personal experience the extra warmth and ability to dry gear out helps a guy/gal stay out for longer periods of time. If someone is thinking about a backpacking tent stove combo, don't expect them to keep you warm all night. The stoves typically only burn for a few hours at best. just my 2 cents on the subject.

Also for the OP I'll attach a pic of my tent on a November Wyoming deer hunt from two years ago. IMG_2926.jpegIMG_2923.jpeg

Hiya folks, I'm looking for a tent to fit said needs. The stability of a tent is very much welcome but the modularity and options of tarp shelters is also desirable. I would be using it for overnighters as well as up to a week, solo... with gear... possibly a lot of gear, depending.

Im not looking for a super ultra light weight shelter that folds 300 times to fit in a mint tin, but it would be nice for it to weigh sub 8-ish lbs and pack decently well. Also might be using it with a wood stove for my longer winter outings.

And there's something that no one seems to talk about but, does anyone consider terrain where there is absolutely no flat, desirable spot for pitching camp?

So far im thinking of one of Kuius tents, something from Kifaru or possibly if im going to be more traditional, something from tentsmiths.

anyway, if you've read this, thanks for dropping in. Any advice or ideas would be welcome
Sorry late to this one. I have two really good tents. I bought a North Face Aerohead 4 season tent new 30 years ago. It's a little on the heavy side but normally it was split between 2 people. Tight fit for two but the thing is really awesome. Spent my share of blizzard nights in it. It has a vestibule that is just large enough to use an appropriate stove to cook. Also enough room to store boots and other wet gear but not a couple of packs. Comes in under 9 lbs.

Great pics here for on flea bay- https://www.ebay.com/itm/3552760655...ivTqe3M3sG7XWmZ0Vks1sHP-ihxPDlSoaAqtTEALw_wcB

I do a lot of snowshoe hiking/camping. My tent is in good condition, a few repairs here and there but overall one of the best purchases I have ever made.

NF Aerohead snow.jpg

This is the room with my North Face Inferno -40 DOWN bag.
NF Aerohead inside.jpg

This is my solo winter shelter-
Sierra Designs Solo assault snow.jpg

Sierra Solo Assault Bivy. I snagged 2 of them new about 10 years ago. They were tested by the military. Single wall really light but bombproof- about 5lbs all in. Only room for one. You'll see again my North Face Inferno DOWN bag. Condensation can be an issue, but in cold but dry conditions I sleep with the door open or partially open. (There are two doors, one has a small vestibule/awning you can set out and then zip open the door.

A few years ago DNADave pointed out the civilian version of this bivy- the Sierra Designs IOTA. It has a fly and is more breathable and may serve as a light 4 season.

Now stoves? Never used one in a BP tent. I've been backpacking in all kinds of weather and terrain since I was 13-14. Done hundred or more miles multiple times. I've never needed a heat source inside my tents. I have occasionally used a stove in the NF Aerohead vestibule to heat water. I use the appropriate DOWN bag for the anticipated lowest temps. I have a 30 degree North Face Blue Kazoo, a 0 degree Marmot bag and a -40 degree North Face Inferno. I'm not scared of my bags getting wet because I know how to care for my tents and pitch them right. I don't get anything but condensation and usually that's mild. If I were concerned about my bag getting wet- I do have a few GoreTex military bag covers- you find them cheap new and used.

Hope you find what you're looking for.

For the OP, if still interested in a "4 season" backpack tent… while I have a few of them, my go to for what you described would be the NorTent Bivuakk. It doubles as a tarp as well as a closed tent with a stove-jack. The bonus of the tent is it uses trekking poles as tent poles. It weighs in at 2.18lbs. I have used it in multiple states on multiple hunts in various weather conditions. It has held up in everything from sunny and 90* to 30mph wind and snowing.

I have used it with a stove (Kifaru cylinder Ti stove). I know there is varying opinions on if a stove is worth packing or not… I believe both sides have a legitimate argument. I choose to pack it when I want it and believe the space and extra pound or so is worth the warmth. Is it needed? No. But it is nice to take the chill off, dry clothes shoes and gear. It has been my personal experience the extra warmth and ability to dry gear out helps a guy/gal stay out for longer periods of time. If someone is thinking about a backpacking tent stove combo, don't expect them to keep you warm all night. The stoves typically only burn for a few hours at best. just my 2 cents on the subject.

Also for the OP I'll attach a pic of my tent on a November Wyoming deer hunt from two years ago.View attachment 526974View attachment 526975
Hard to tell from photos and dimensions but would you say this shelter has enough room for 2 people to sleep next to the stove comfortably? My petpieve in shelters is having enough room so that I am not touching the sides of the shelter with my bag or having to get too close to the stove to burn my bag.

Also, I've always stayed away from tents that pitch with my poles because I never leave camp without them. How do you mitigate this issue with this type of shelter. On one hand, it helps save weight but it also leaves you down a set of poles once you make camp?

In my opinion it has plenty of room to sleep two comfortably without worrying about the stove. And, enough room where I also don't worry about touching the sides of the shelter. The tent body is long enough for a person over 6' tall to sleep, and the ends are like vestibules. The stove essentially sits between the tent body and the vestibule area if that makes sense. If one was worried about being close to the stove, there is plenty of room to scoot down towards the other end. Also, to give you more of an idea of its size, you can sleep a 6' person width wise in the tent.

As far as using the trekking poles… it depends on who is going with me. My son doesn't like using them (young strong legs), so I have him hike in with a pair and use his. If he's not with me I have a pair of lightweight collapsible ones I throw into my pack. You could always cut a solid branch, or it also has tie offs on the top ends so a guy/gal could rig it up in some trees nearby.

IMG_3308.jpeg
I was in search of a new tent last year and decided on the tipi hot tent style. I went with the Argali Absaroka and couldn't be happier. It's super light weight and has a lot of room for two people and all your gear. I went with the seek outside large u-turn stove. I don't usually go into the back country by myself so I figured the stove could be shared or packed by others. I think this tent is a great option for early and late hunts.

Stone Glacier Solus is a hell of a four season, 1-man tent. Small footprint is great for finding a spot to camp when in the actual mountains. Can handle serious winds/snow load as well.

Not to bring up the whole ****ing match, but being warm at the end of the day sounds awful nice. I've been looking at the seek outside Cimarron 4 person as well as the peaks Solitude as well. Gritty advertisement at its best lol. But seriously, both compare in the light weight world even lookin at the hyperlite tipi tents but they don't have the ability to have a wood stove, which would be a plus. I have not packed in a 2lb's stove yet, but if you have a pack of 45lb, 47lbs is not going to break you IMO.