0-300yrds hunthing

74 :) I pulled a large (for GA) doe out a week ago. two mile, three hour drag.
Yesterday. two point five mile drag. Marlin 30-06 rigged as brush gun with 1X3 scope. seven lbs.

Attachments

• IMG_2448.jpg
    IMG_2448.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 82
I'd probably go with the 7mm-08 but I wouldn't be one bit afraid of the 243 either I'd just run all copper bullets in it and never think twice about pulling the trigger on any of your named game animals at 300yds or less. A light caliber may not be the best choice for youthful inexperienced hunters but a well placed shot from an experienced hunter is a different story.

I am completely happy with my Weatherby ultralight rifle chambered in 270 win. This five and three-quarter pound rifle has a 24 inch stainless steel fluted barrel. This is my go to white tail deer rifle and my dear load is a 130 grain Nosler ballistic tip with a muzzle velocity of 3050 ft./second! Change the Leupold 2.5. To. 8. X scope scope to.a Leupold 4.5. X to 14X if. Longer Range. Shots are. Expected! Not a. Moose rifle !!

Hi everyone, 300yrds is not longerange but I juste realise Im getting old and whant a light rifle to carry around on fine hunting. Got what I need for the longer shot.

Game will be white tail deer up to moose.

Dont whant to use a break on the rifle so thinking on light caliber.

I got die to load for 284win, 7mm08 but thinking about 270win and 243win too....

What will be your choice? Im open to other caliber too
Any of those cartridges will do the trick. Find the rifle that fits you the best and concentrate on bullet placement. I always here about how the magnums are better but in my experience the magnums breed flinching and bad shot placement. Any of those rifles out to 300 yards with the right bullet (not mono) and placement will do the trick..

Any of those cartridges will do the trick. Find the rifle that fits you the best and concentrate on bullet placement. I always here about how the magnums are better but in my experience the magnums breed flinching and bad shot placement. Any of those rifles out to 300 yards with the right bullet (not mono) and placement will do the trick..
The 270 and 7mm's with heavy premium bullets will do the job=pick your shots,,,please don't use a 243 on moose, unless you pick only brain shots! I guided hunters here in Alaska over 30 years(many moose kills included). 30 calibers are better,in my opinion. Just because they can be killed with 243's doesn't mean they should .

Have dôme friend that hunt only eith 243win and neever miss theyr moose shoot placement is the key...

That being said I might switch my mind and go back to 338win... found one for realy cheap price

The only cartridge I didn't like in the OPs original list is the 243.

My pick is a 308 due to the virtues of the cartridge. Low recoil, very versatile with bullet options, and has no real downside in this range. Ammo everywhere is a plus.

I kept my 7mm Sendero in the safe this year and took my old model 70 in 300 H&H to Montana for mule deer. I found that I enjoy stalking deer more than sniping them. 220 grain round nose at 2700 fps so a 300 yard gun especially with a 2-7 Leupold.
Matt, I always wanted a Model 70 or a Ruger #1 in the old classic 300 H and H . Enjoy that great old round.

Have you considered something with a brake to use for when you practice and then you could remove for hunting?
Removing the muzzle brake will change the barrel harmonics and might affect the point of impact.
Have not considered that option that why im looking in 'softer' caliber but could run à 7mm mag on light rifle for that
A well-designed muzzle brake serves two purposes; reduction in felt recoil and reduction in muzzle rise. I am not recoil sensitive, but I started using muzzle brake in 2003 and never looked back. Muzzle brakes are not for everybody, but it does wonders in the recoil and muzzle rise reduction.

Matt, I always wanted a Model 70 or a Ruger #1 in the old classic 300 H and H . Enjoy that great old round.
I've always loved the old model 70's, my dad had one in 257 Weatherby which my twin brother has now. A Ruger #1 would be super cool…
Cheers!