Whats your favorite hunting rig as in truck ?

This 2017 4Runner has had so many Game animals in it. 5 elk, 14 pronghorn, 6 mule deer, countless small game.
Warm in the late season, cool in the early season, comfortable, extremely capable, mostly dust free, plenty of secure room for gear.

View attachment 573355
Close to mine, which is a Tacoma (19) my third one is white with a topper. As for number of critters in it per year the numbers in mine per year is pretty much what yours is per year though generally not 14 lopes, generally more like 6 per year. The other numbers are bout the same give or take. Plus a bruin here and there:)

I'd have to say that it's our present truck……2007 Ram 3500 SRW, 4x4, 4 dr, 8' bed, 6.7 diesel (fully deleted) with Smarty Jr., 3.73 gears, manual 6 speed, upgraded wheels to steel 19.5"s running either 12 or 14 ply tires, and rear air bags.

With Smarty tuned to "fuel economy" mode - driving @ 65 mph in no head or cross-winds, with no load/trailer…..gets over 20 mpg on open highway!

It really doesn't get much off road use, other than gravel roads and fairly decent 2 tracks.

It does however, drag our 20K pound 5th wheel (capable of -30 F with no freeze issues) attached to a single axle trailer loaded with a Polaris Ranger, 55 gallon drum of additional water, plus a 50 gallon propane tank pretty darn good.

When we get to our parking spot…..all the comforts of home! See avatar! memtb

Last edited:
This 2017 4Runner has had so many Game animals in it. 5 elk, 14 pronghorn, 6 mule deer, countless small game.
Warm in the late season, cool in the early season, comfortable, extremely capable, mostly dust free, plenty of secure room for gear.

View attachment 573355
Nice! Even has a cool stairwell for a mama bear to climb up and join you! :D

I guess it's Toyota Tundras.
IMG_1523.jpeg

Since some meth heads decided they needed my CC 4x4 Tundra, and they don't make it with a 5.7 any more, I bought a '23 CC 4x4 Chevy 1500 with the 3.0 Duramax last Aug or Sept. I didnt think Id ever say it, but I should have made the switch a couple years ago.

2 weeks ago it was customized by a tornatic hail storm. Today I put the first scratch in it while loading a feeder. So I guess it's officially a hunting/fishing truck now.

Out west here, for me it's the Toyota Tacoma, jeep wrangler or landcruiser. No road hunting or car camping here. I use these vehicles to get into forest service roads and Jeep trails that go to trail heads that bring me to hunting areas on foot.

4x4 capability is a must here. Not merely having 4wd, but wheel base with good approach, breakover and departure angles, flex, lockers, clearance, discos etc.

Stuff that you wouldn't otherwise be able to do in a say a F350 or something. Lockers are useless if you're high centered.

Last edited: